Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

How do we know that the new guy's codename is "Bolt"?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    How do we know that the new guy's codename is "Bolt"?
    This exclusive article is how I learned

https://comicbook.com/dc/amp/news/dc...ers-exclusive/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Thanks. Seems a bit silly
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Thanks. Seems a bit silly
    Yeah it’s a bit generic, but sometimes the names are just taken up. Plus I imagine it was meant to be classic heroic in nature to counter Black Adam.

I hope that if Malik survives, because looking at Adam’s family track record he might not, that he gets to meet Jon Kent. How cool would that be if Superman’s son got to meet and team up with Black Adam’s descendant trying to be a superhero.
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-18-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I personally just hope to meet and fall in love with the dude, like I did with Hosun and so much of Priest's other characters.

I want to see Osiris again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean is he alive/existing. I know in Dark Crisis Adam mentions Adriana.
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

I like the look of Malik. I think it makes sense that he uses a "casual" name: he's a descendant of Black Adam that seems to at best, not know how to feel about his ancestor, and at worst doesn't exactly think well of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Spoilers for Black Adam: The Justice Society Files
    spoilers:
    Amon is mentioned in the solicitation for Atom Smasher #1, but he's Adrianna's son, not her brother.
    end of spoilers

Here’s a new interview with Priest about the book (some minor spoilers for issue 1).

Awesome. So on the subject of Black Adam being kind of a Thor, demigod kind of character, there was a line that struck me right at the beginning of the book. Black Adam says, “even an immortal can grow.” How can a villain grow?

What I mean in terms of his villainy is not so much that he's returning to be a villain, but that his past villainy has come back to haunt him. All the dirt that he's done over the centuries. Once I started researching this character, I read that he had thrown a temper tantrum and basically laid waste to a neighboring country. I called my editor, Paul Kaminski, and Paul was like, “Yes, well, he’s an antihero.” And I said 'No. This guy can't be an antihero.'

'I know you’re DC, I know you want all the heroes to like each other and hold hands and sing Kumbaya, but with all due respect to other writers who make way more money than I do, I just violently disagree with the idea that you can redeem this character. This character is irredeemable. You can't have this character kill mothers and sons and fathers and daughters and children and old men and lay waste to a country and then just go, “Well, I just woke up this morning and decided to be a good guy.” That is utter, complete nonsense. I don't buy it.'

So Paul and I have a gentleman's agreement. We agree to disagree. Either Paul or DC or both want to see this character as an antihero, because they want to produce a movie and they want the lunch boxes and Black Adam dolls. But this guy is a villain, a villain facing his own mortality. He is an immortal facing his own mortality. He's trying to clean up his act because he is obsessed with his legacy, but he's haunted by the original sin of how he got his powers in the first place, plus all the crap that he's done over the years.

The thing that I keep hammering over and over again with DC is that there is no redemption for Black Adam. That's basically the theme of the book. He is trying for redemption but, spoiler alert, it is not working. This guy is a bad guy.
    Lot of interesting info in there about Priest’s approach to the character, to Kahndaq, and some tidbits about Malik. Part that really surprised me is Priest is apparently not a history buff and he actually hates having to do all the research lol. Shows his dedication to his craft that he knuckles down and does it anyway.

Really getting nervous about poor Malik’s survival odds though, especially given how Priest keeps bringing up how Black Adam has killed children.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Here’s a new interview with Priest about the book (some minor spoilers for issue 1).

Lot of interesting info in there about Priest’s approach to the character, to Kahndaq, and some tidbits about Malik. Part that really surprised me is Priest is apparently not a history buff and he actually hates having to do all the research lol. Shows his dedication to his craft that he knuckles down and does it anyway.

Really getting nervous about poor Malik’s survival odds though, especially given how Priest keeps bringing up how Black Adam has killed children.
    Yeah Priest seems to really be hammering home that Malik was chosen purely because he’s on Adam’s family tree at a time and place when Adam isn’t choosy. But who knows, we’ve some characters survive from less.
    Words to live by.

That interview is awesome. I just love the way Priest thinks, and I can't wait to read this. I really hope it does well so he can get a season 2, like Swamp Thing by Ram V got.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Spoilers for Black Adam: The Justice Society Files
    spoilers:
    Amon is mentioned in the solicitation for Atom Smasher #1, but he's Adrianna's son, not her brother.
    end of spoilers
    That's a weird change to the family dynamic.

spoilers:
    I guess movie Adam is going to be his step-dad now? Huh.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah Priest seems to really be hammering home that Malik was chosen purely because he’s on Adam’s family tree at a time and place when Adam isn’t choosy. But who knows, we’ve some characters survive from less.
    And of course it’s comics, so Malik dying wouldn’t mean he couldn’t come back. But I’ll make a prediction. This is going to be 12 issues of making the reader connect with and like Malik, more so than Adam who I think will remain an intimidating figure. We’ll see him grow into being a decent person, someone you think might be a good influence on Adam.

Then it’s going to end with Adam killing him, just to rub it in the reader’s face what kind of person Adam is. That to me would cement that there’s no redemption for Adam. People really seem to be interested in Malik however, so if he’s popular I think he’ll get resurrected at the end, or after Priest leaves just like how Damian returned.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And of course it’s comics, so Malik dying wouldn’t mean he couldn’t come back. But I’ll make a prediction. This is going to be 12 issues of making the reader connect with and like Malik, more so than Adam who I think will remain an intimidating figure. We’ll see him grow into being a decent person, someone you think might be a good influence on Adam.

Then it’s going to end with Adam killing him, just to rub it in the reader’s face what kind of person Adam is. That to me would cement that there’s no redemption for Adam. People really seem to be interested in Malik however, so if he’s popular I think he’ll get resurrected at the end, or after Priest leaves just like how Damian returned.
    Maybe Mary can bring him back now that she's the Champion.

I'm looking forward to reading it.