Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    All-New Member

This is going to be my first Christopher Preist and Black Adam monthly book so I’m pretty excited for this one.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I hope you enjoy it! I'm so pumped!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I hope you enjoy it! I'm so pumped!
    Thanks. I hope so too lol.

This is all a bit unfortunate that editors, and DC in general, see Black Adam as anti-hero despite Priest being 100% right.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

this is gonna be so dope, I can't wait for it. If it's anything like Deathstroke it's gonna rock balls

Holy cats, this first issue was hilarious, dark, and full of characters I already love. And what ART! Sandoval is amazing! I really hope they've schedulled this to be all 12 issues of his art!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Sort of a tale of two characters here. Adam himself is great, really think Priest has a good handle on how to write him and I’m interested in his plot line. Malik however… look maybe it’s just the fresh cringe of that Miles as Thor issue, but the way Malik speaks feels very “how do you do fellow kids!” and I’m not sure how to feel about him. Is there a specific reason he talks that way or is it just Priest trying to mimic black zoomers? If it’s the latter then Malik is going to get annoying very quickly, I already find myself not enjoying him all that much.

Overall a good issue and it’s nice to have Priest on a DC book again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Interesting. I personally thought Priest's writing for Malik was REALLY endearing. But I'm very old (mid-30s), so I guess I'm just bad at figuring out what The Kids would like. My bet is that Priest is basing Malik very much on guys he knows. Or maybe himself - I'm pretty sure he based the psychiatrist in Vampirella on himself. There's a specificity of the details of what's going on in Malik's life that feels strong to me.

Interesting. I personally thought Priest's writing for Malik was REALLY endearing. But I'm very old (mid-30s), so I guess I'm just bad at figuring out what The Kids would like. My bet is that Priest is basing Malik very much on guys he knows. Or maybe himself - I'm pretty sure he based the psychiatrist in Vampirella on himself. There's a specificity of the details of what's going on in Malik's life that feels strong to me.
    I’m giving Priest the benefit of the doubt since he wrote Wallace very well, so I don’t think it’s just a case of him not knowing what black youth sound like. But having Malik say he’s going to “oppan gangnam style” is very cringe, that song is ancient culture for today’s youth. If Malik is meant to come across as a lame trying very hard to be cool (which may well be the case given he complains to a girl he’s crushing on that she’s friendzoned him) then that works well but it’s not clear if Malik is meant to be cool or a dork which is where the confusion on my part comes from.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I did get the sense that Malik is kind of a dork. I'm gonna say that was the purpose.

I did get the sense that Malik is kind of a dork. I'm gonna say that was the purpose.
    Once he gets his powers we should hopefully get a sense of where he sits in Adam’s story. Overall though I enjoyed the issue like I said, started grinning on the first page when Priest immediately began throwing political jargon at you that came with footnotes explaining what he was referring to. I wonder what the deal is with “Darkseid” and Adam getting infected? Does it tie back into the reform movement? How a small Kahndaqi rebel group could make contact with Apokolips is a mystery I’m intrigued by, perhaps Intergang was the go between.

Oooh, really good questions! I was assuming multiple plotlines, but it could all be connected! I mostly just love to sit back and enjoy the ride on Priest books, until I can get enough issues under my belt that I can start seeing the overall picture.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sort of a tale of two characters here. Adam himself is great, really think Priest has a good handle on how to write him and I’m interested in his plot line. Malik however… look maybe it’s just the fresh cringe of that Miles as Thor issue, but the way Malik speaks feels very “how do you do fellow kids!” and I’m not sure how to feel about him. Is there a specific reason he talks that way or is it just Priest trying to mimic black zoomers? If it’s the latter then Malik is going to get annoying very quickly, I already find myself not enjoying him all that much.

Overall a good issue and it’s nice to have Priest on a DC book again.
    Malik might be doing that based on whatever situation he is in.

I would suspect Malik is based on someone he knows like his Steel run was based on Dwayne McDuffie.

As for Miles-the writer in question has done that before in another book that sells rather well but in that book the lead is a black boy who wants to be a DJ.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!