Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

"Rafa and I have our own unique vision for Kahndaq which will mirror Adam’s struggle between his past and his future. An ancient, tiny city-state reflective of Afro-Egyptian culture, but the landscape is dotted with all of these huge construction cranes. Black Adam wants to modernize a secular Kahndaq into his own Wakanda of sorts, but he’s running afoul of both traditionalists desiring more religious influence, and a growing democracy movement Adam has no intention of indulging."
    I’m so hyped for Kahndaq world building! Definitely looks like he’s going to be taking lessons learned from Black Panther and applying them here.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This sounds dope as hell. I'm onboard. Priest's Deathstroke is an absolute classic.

That sounds really interesting. I always find it odd that these super advanced comic book countries/kingdoms are so great but apparently haven’t heard of democracy. Always still ruled by a royal bloodline. Of course Adam is not the kind of ruler who would allow the will of the people to override his own. That will definitely come into conflict with his new heroic persona.

Not a Priest fan.
    Big Black Adam fan.
    Nice art.

I’ll give it a try.

I'm a fan of Priest's work, and I dig Black Adam in theory (never read much for him tho), if this is half as good as his Deathstroke run it'll definitely end up in my collection eventually.

I'm surprised he's going the afro-egyptian route but I'm glad he's changed his mind about steering clear of writing for Black characters.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm a fan of Priest's work, and I dig Black Adam in theory (never read much for him tho), if this is half as good as his Deathstroke run it'll definitely end up in my collection eventually.

I'm surprised he's going the afro-egyptian route but I'm glad he's changed his mind about steering clear of writing for Black characters.
    To be fair, Priest has always written black characters. In Deathstroke, he added Red Lion/Ja Zaki, Wallace and Tanya at least, and he has added a lot of black characters in his Vampirella run as well. It's the idea that he can ONLY write black main characters that he was frustrated with, and I think Black Adam is a very different type of character than the type that was probably being offered to him - Black Lightning, Luke Cage, even Black Panther (though he's open about his vision of Black Adam as very similar to Black Panther).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Well the debate of which ethnicity Ancient Egyptians were most closely related has a lot of different sides. Recently DNA research of mummies found that the ancient Egyptians were most closely related to people from the "Near East", particularly from the Levant. This is the Eastern Mediterranean which today includes the countries of Turkey, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon.

But Priest usually includes/introduces some strong black supporting characters even if the main protagonist isn't black.

I'm hoping he brings back Red Lion.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-14-2022 at 06:59 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Well the debate of which ethnicity Ancient Egyptians were most closely related has a lot of different sides. Recently DNA research of mummies found that the ancient Egyptians were most closely related to people from the "Near East", particularly from the Levant. This is the Eastern Mediterranean which today includes the countries of Turkey, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon.

But Priest usually includes/introduces some strong black supporting characters even if the main protagonist isn't black.

I'm hoping he brings back Red Lion.
    Red Lion coming back would be hilarious. And also awesome.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Was just wondering the other day if Priest was eventually going to get back to any Big 2 IP characters, as I hadn't heard about his doing any of those in a couple years. I'm almost completely unfamiliar with the Shazamverse, but Priest's track record with BP and Deathstroke makes me think this might be a good place to start. Though I found his Deathstroke so demanding to follow with all its chronological sleight of hand and its characters in various versions of his suit that I only read it in trades.

EDIT: (Insert here the usual gripe about why DC hasn't put him on Batman or Detective. Though I ain't complaining about Chip Zdarsky.)
    Last edited by Yohei72; 03-14-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    To be fair, Priest has always written black characters. In Deathstroke, he added Red Lion/Ja Zaki, Wallace and Tanya at least, and he has added a lot of black characters in his Vampirella run as well. It's the idea that he can ONLY write black main characters that he was frustrated with, and I think Black Adam is a very different type of character than the type that was probably being offered to him - Black Lightning, Luke Cage, even Black Panther (though he's open about his vision of Black Adam as very similar to Black Panther).
    I think Adam probably wants to be like Priests' T'Challa but has the temperament of Priests' Killmonger...

Priest’s issue was that DC and Marvel were only offering him black characters they wanted “fixed”, and they never offered him a chance with the A-Listers. Because he was the guy who made Black Panther cool, that meant he could only do black characters in editorial’s eyes. That annoyed him because he didn’t just want to “fix” whatever black character that was the flavor of the week, he wanted to know that if he did a good job he’d be offered a chance with the big guns, just like white writers get. He wants to write Iron Man and Batman too, and I’m sure if DC offered him a major A-Lister who is white, he’d probably be cool taking on a black character as well. I guess Adam will count as both an A-Lister who is black because of the Rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Red Lion coming back would be hilarious. And also awesome.
    He definitely is going to show up, I can’t wait lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Was just wondering the other day if Priest was eventually going to get back to any Big 2 IP characters, as I hadn't heard about his doing any of those in a couple years. I'm almost completely unfamiliar with the Shazamverse, but Priest's track record with BP and Deathstroke makes me think this might be a good place to start. Though I found his Deathstroke so demanding to follow with all its chronological sleight of hand and its characters in various versions of his suit that I only read it in trades.

EDIT: (Insert here the usual gripe about why DC hasn't put him on Batman or Detective. Though I ain't complaining about Chip Zdarsky.)
    They’re giving everyone else Black Label Batman projects, they should absolutely give Priest one too. I don’t know if he’d be a good fit for mainline Batman, he has ideas about Batman that might cause Tom King tier controversy, but it would absolutely be something I would check out.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I will literally buy every single variant if Priest shows a lot of focus and development on Isis.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Big Daddy Priest described him specifically as Afro Egyptian, so it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I will literally buy every single variant if Priest shows a lot of focus and development on Isis.
    Is Isis even back in continuity? She’ll probably show up, especially since I think she’s in the movie. I expect she’ll be rebooted just like Adam himself was if she does show.

I hope Adam is more like his Justice League self in this run. Him being a big jerk because he's edgy and stuff is so 2006. Hehe seriously hope Big Daddy Priest doesn't forget his development.