Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Movie = book

Never got aroundbgo reading anything by Christopher Priest, nor anything with Black Adam. This sounds like a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They’re giving everyone else Black Label Batman projects, they should absolutely give Priest one too. I don’t know if he’d be a good fit for mainline Batman, he has ideas about Batman that might cause Tom King tier controversy, but it would absolutely be something I would check out.
    Oh please tell me more, I must know his controversial opinions on Batman

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign...priest%3famp=1

HssH asked me if they were acknowledging the New 52 origin, this confirms they will.
    Very interesting, didn't expect them to tackle that topic directly.

And yeah, 100% that Red Lion will appear at some point.

They’re giving everyone else Black Label Batman projects, they should absolutely give Priest one too. I don’t know if he’d be a good fit for mainline Batman, he has ideas about Batman that might cause Tom King tier controversy, but it would absolutely be something I would check out.
    So huge sales, critical acclaim, passionate fan following, Eisner awards, and loud whining from a minority of comics fans on Twitter and discussion forums. Sounds good to me!

Premise seems interesting and the creative team is good. I'll give it a look.

Always Rakzo

Damn, how did I miss this? Easily one of the best announcements in a while and will most likely get rid of the bad Bendis aftertaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Never got aroundbgo reading anything by Christopher Priest, nor anything with Black Adam. This sounds like a good place to start.

He’s a guy who likes to inject “realism” into his stories, but unlike every other Batman creator who loves to talk about how “real” Batman is, Priest has no problem accepting a realistic Batman is a psychopath. He also wants to go hard on the realism in a way that even the more realistic takes typically don’t, for example he argues that the Batmobile shouldn’t stand out. It should look like a regular old taxi or what have you, just internally kitted out to an insane degree.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    He was hired back in 2000 to do a Batman book. It was suppose to be 5 issues. It got edited down to ONE. It took place before No Man's Land.

The book came out and so many folks especially comic book store owners missed it.

Batman The Hill (same Hill mentioned in the last issues of Red Hood). Batman got punk by black folks who did not fear him. Mainly on the grounds that Batman (along with Gotham PD) failed that area and nobody believed he was real.

Now he has done Batman fill ins back in the 90s.

Also there was interest from the Batman office towards Priest. Only as an editor. He declined and took Vampirella after his Deathstroke run ended.

Priest's gripe (along with McDuffie's) was here is my resume. Here is what I influenced-a billion dollar and 3 Oscar winning movie.

Yet when it comes to getting shots to write books. Priest gets offered CYBORG. Only black characters. He has written or edited every single A lister at some point. Same as McDuffie.

When you look at resumes you have to ask what is the issue?

Why can't we get a Black Label Priest Batman?

Don't know much about Black Adam but with Priest at the helm I'm going to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    He was hired back in 2000 to do a Batman book. It was suppose to be 5 issues. It got edited down to ONE. It took place before No Man's Land.

The book came out and so many folks especially comic book store owners missed it.

Batman The Hill (same Hill mentioned in the last issues of Red Hood). Batman got punk by black folks who did not fear him. Mainly on the grounds that Batman (along with Gotham PD) failed that area and nobody believed he was real.

Also there was interest from the Batman office towards Priest. Only as an editor. He declined and took Vampirella after his Deathstroke run ended.

Priest's gripe (along with McDuffie's) was here is my resume. Here is what I influenced-a billion dollar and 3 Oscar winning movie.

Yet when it comes to getting shots to write books. Priest gets offered CYBORG. Only black characters. He has written or edited every single A lister at some point. Same as McDuffie.

Well, at least DC is smart enough to give him and Redjack some interesting and powerful characters to write.

He’s a guy who likes to inject “realism” into his stories, but unlike every other Batman creator who loves to talk about how “real” Batman is, Priest has no problem accepting a realistic Batman is a psychopath. He also wants to go hard on the realism in a way that even the more realistic takes typically don’t, for example he argues that the Batmobile shouldn’t stand out. It should look like a regular old taxi or what have you, just internally kitted out to an insane degree.
    I would read the #$%^ out of a book like this by Priest.

The point about the Batmobile is one that's occurred to me. You'd think he would want to drive around unnoticed sometimes. Seems you could have your cake and eat it too, with the Batmobile able to change appearance, Transformers-ish style. It's no nuttier than his army of AI Bat-bots in Batman Inc., or his Hellbat suit that let him run around on Apokolips in Tomasi's Batman and Robin.
    Last edited by Yohei72; 03-15-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Wowsers. Never heard about this "Hill" issue before. Has it ever appeared in a collection? I'm tempted to go buy a copy ASAP.

Good summary of Priest's resume. I can't help suspecting race as "the" or "an issue." But on the other hand, I have the impression he's a very outspoken guy, for better and worse, to a degree that might have DC a bit nervous. A while ago he made some boneheaded public comments about #MeToo, which might make a prospective employer arch an eyebrow or two.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Wowsers. Never heard about this "Hill" issue before. Has it ever appeared in a collection? I'm tempted to go buy a copy ASAP.

Good summary of Priest's resume. I can't help suspecting race as "the" or "an issue." But on the other hand, I have the impression he's a very outspoken guy, for better and worse, to a degree that might have DC a bit nervous. A while ago he made some boneheaded public comments about #MeToo, which might make a prospective employer arch an eyebrow or two.
    I personally disagree with the characterization of his comments as "boneheaded" - I think he made a lot of good points, but they were too complicated to fit into the black and white narrative.

He's definitely outspoken - I'm still bummed he wasn't able to get DC to do some marketing in the Christian market for Deathstroke, even though it was his interviews talking about his faith that really intrigued me.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

What did he say? I can't find anything on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Movie = book
    Seems like it! Guess Blue Beetle, Aquaman and Batgirl will be getting books next year. I’m not complaining though!

This book seems really interesting! Definitely will check it out
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!