Always Rakzo

Default Batman/Superman: World's Finest #1 Discussion/Spoilers

Well, I've been waiting for this.

The lack of let's say, quality writers in DC has been prominent for a while now (Future State is where things started to go really wrong) and fortunately what we have here is an author with an interesting track record. I have a... weird history with Mark Waid, I consider him a kinda hit and miss writer with many legendary runs over the years (Most of them curiously at Marvel) and some things that were underwhelming as a whole (Curiously, most of them at DC, his Legion of Super-Heroes comes to mind) but even I have to admit that when Waid nails it, he nails it so I was definitily intrigued by the idea of him handling a character he has been eager to write about for years now, Superman.

And he does it, satisfyingly enough I would say, nothing particularly impressive but satisfying overall.

The plot opens years in the past way back when Dick Grayson was Robin and the World's Finest had to face a still villainous Poison Ivy and a deranged Metallo. This sets-up the premise of Superman being controlled by Red Kryptonite which is mostly an excuse to create a set of action scenes along with a few segments of character work. In that regard it gets the job done, Waid has a way of creating classic comic book stories with Silver Age traits that feel pretty familiar and charming in a certain manner, there's even another story set in the past in this story set in the past which reinforces that Silver Age bizarre tone and hey, speaking of bizarre, the Doom Patrol appears here too, you might get that Sci-Fi feel as well.

Characterization is... fine, is the typical portrayal that you would espect from the protagonists and while there's nothing off about it, there's nothing that will blow your mind, the best part I would say comes from the more personal interactions between Bruce and Clark that demonstrate their friendship which again, feel fairly safe. In fact, this series seems very newcomer-friendly due that it represents classic portrayals of the characters that most people know which is good I guess for a brand new series that wants to attract a bigger audience.

I suppose the cliffhanger works nicely, let's see if things get weirder next time.

Dan Mora's artwork is amazing with a very vibrant look that depicts every scene with a lot of energy, particularly the fight segments, along with clear storytelling that follows the script perfectly.

Solid beginning overall. Let's see if Waid has a bigger plan for this book.

BANNED

Waid nails it, but it's more a Batman, Robin and Doom Patrol story with Superman as a victim and his supporting cast reduced to nothing but helpless by-standers
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 03-15-2022 at 08:37 AM.

BANNED

I'm really glad to see that superman and his universe are used to magnify batman even robin, that DC make it clear that batman> robin> superman, because I think that this way superman fans will stop spending money waiting for something which obviously will never happen (a batman comic and that superman be respected). that this comic is bought by fans of batman or robin, it is his comic, that fans of superman spend the money on Action.

i understand we've gotten years of batgod, and it's annoying, BUT not everything is to magnify batman. like, i think this was a good first issue that helped establish even more batman's and superman's kinship

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't get the dick measuring going on above, both Superman and Batman were perfect here. This was seriously probably the best superhero book that's come out since 2016's Futurequest.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

people are already so used to it, that they see it as normal even as a good thing that superman is reduced to a tool in a batman story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't get the dick measuring going on above.
    He's shorter in the flashback, that's all, and has a different costume.

(Yes, Superman here is a problem for Batman to solve. 1. I'm sure this will be balanced out over the run, 2. If we were talking Proper Bat God he wouldn't have called in the Doom Patrol, and would have done the surgery himself.)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    He's shorter in the flashback, that's all, and has a different costume.

(Yes, Superman here is a problem for Batman to solve. 1. I'm sure this will be balanced out over the run, 2. If we were talking Proper Bat God he wouldn't have called in the Doom Patrol, and would have done the surgery himself.)
    Why does it matter? Both were written well.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Why does it matter? Both were written well.
    Oh, I agree - I enjoyed the issue, and thought all three leads were enjoyably written. Waid has a fun voice for a Dick Grayson at a time in his life we don't often see.

But I think Superman fans who get a bit tired of Superman needing to be rescued by Bruce a disproportionate amount aren't wrong to point out that this is an example of that thing that bugs them.

Like I say, though, I'm sure we'll see more of Batman needing rescuing later.

This issue was fantastic! I loved it. Every page. Can't wait to re-read and check out issue 2.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by classyjazzy View Post
    i understand we've gotten years of batgod, and it's annoying, BUT not everything is to magnify batman. like, i think this was a good first issue that helped establish even more batman's and superman's kinship
    I agree. I did not get the impression while reading the issue that Superman was made to look bad. Supes saved Bats in the past and now he is in trouble. Plus it is a first issue. I really enjoyed it and that is coming from someone who likes Superman more than Batman.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

I liked this a lot. Old-school superheroics cranked up to 11. Lot of fun ideas. If I had a complaint, it’s that the story burned through some of the plot points too quickly. The resolution of the Bruce/Clark fight didn’t really satisfy. At the same time, it had a predetermined outcome, so there was probably no need to waste more time on it. Instead, Waid just moves onto something more interesting.

Liked the art too. Love a thick black line around Clark’s S.

Really enjoyed this on tablet. Reads great in guided view.

I absolutely loved this issue. I can't believe no one is talking about the Doom Patrol's appearance in this issue. Waid and Mora did such a great job on them I now want an ongoing "lost stories" of the Doom Patrol series. I know it will never happen but I can dream.

This was a lot of fun! Plus Mora’s art was ridiculous.

It’s a rare treat to see the classic Doom Patrol in a comic!