Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Attachment 121613
    Ok this is a really cool look. And I can definitely see the similarities with Dr Cyber. One more reason why the Rebirth version sucked, her design was so forgettable. And I like the name Zeliah. Hope she sticks around
    Well, Rebirth Dr. Cyber cycled through a bunch of looks...we didn't really get to see much of her "true form" before she went off to limbo to never really appear again.

Read it this morning and there are definitely a lot of things I like about it. Intrigued by the villain setup and how it's tying into the coronation special, loved seeing more interaction between Diana and Nubia (and I'm excited to see more Hawkgirl!), love that Bia is getting more of a role, and REALLY love that Amazons from all of the tribes are getting involved in the outside world - hoping they really dig into the political consequences of that. Also a floating island the coolest mode of transport ever. The art admittedly didn't stand out but it was totally serviceable which is enough for a monthly IMO.

That said, I do have a major gripe...I think Stephanie Williams' dialog writing needs a lot of work. I don't know if it's Vita Ayala's absence being felt, but all of the interactions felt kinda stilted and unnatural. All of the Amazons have the same voice other than Anahi, the JL's dialog felt awkward, a lot of the writing felt too matter-of-fact and expository, and she lapses into one of my biggest WW dialog pet peeves - "Amazons don't speak in contractions." In general I think a lot of writers have a hard time writing dialog that's poetic and regal but still feels natural and has personality (Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, and Kelly Sue DeConnick are the gold standard for this IMO), but it's essential when writing the Amazons. And frankly, for the many writers who struggle with that balance, I prefer dialog that's a little uncharacteristically modern/informal to dialog that's too antiquated and sterile.

I noticed it in her Pride story as well, but it was definitely better there - the interactions between Io and Nubia specifically were really sweet and felt authentic.

I recognize that she's still quite new to these characters and I think she's going to improve a lot (Cloonrad have definitely gotten better with Diana's voice over time), but at this point she's much better at writing lore, story arcs, and plot beats than character interactions. That's definitely enough to keep me interested in the meantime though.

Yeah it was pretty purple-prosey, wasn't it?

Still, I did really like the integration of the Amazons into world society and also into Diana's superhero stuff, which is something I've wanted to (re?)see for a very long time.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Overall I enjoyed it but I feel like the Amazons are being put on fastforward and nothing is being given the proper room to breathe.

We went from 1 tribe to 3 tribes to an "event" to all 3 now living under the same roof to "we're joining Mans World!" to "lets have a floating island". There's still a lot of fallout from "Trial" of the Amazons that seems to be getting swept under the rug.

Nubia's lasso spear....adding energy blasts to it seems like overkill.

I am totally hooked on Nubia.
    I understand the criticism but decades of discontinuous development in the Wonderverse plays against us. So it seems to me that there are things that have to be brought to the board without further explanation, like a great floating island.
    A great issue as this creative team has accustomed us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    I understand the criticism but decades of discontinuous development in the Wonderverse plays against us. So it seems to me that there are things that have to be brought to the board without further explanation, like a great floating island.
    Agreed.

There's so much to like about Williams's intentional world building, culture creating, nods to the past while updating it all for the future. Her interaction with Hawkgirl was so fun.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Overall I enjoyed it but I feel like the Amazons are being put on fastforward and nothing is being given the proper room to breathe.

We went from 1 tribe to 3 tribes to an "event" to all 3 now living under the same roof to "we're joining Mans World!" to "lets have a floating island". There's still a lot of fallout from "Trial" of the Amazons that seems to be getting swept under the rug.

I like it, especially because it sets her apart from the other Wonders. They all can't be flying bricks and no one else has an energy based offensive attack.

The floating island was nice as Jimenez nostalgia and as a callback to Nubia's Slaughter Island but a little redundant because the Amazon Embassy probably could be made to float (much like the Wonder Dome) though so far I think it's only been seen in water.

The book is very enjoyable. Stephanie Williams and Vita Ayala are doing an excellent job expanding the mythos, we had been stagnant far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Disagree, I'm into the spear having lots of bonus features. They didn't do enough to make Yara's powers stand out and IMO it did her a disservice - her boleadoras are pretty much just a more aggressive derivative of the lasso, she doesn't seem to be any stronger than the average Amazon, and she has no special powers beyond that (not even flight) so I'm not sure what exactly her demigoddess origin does for her or why she's her tribe's champion over someone who's actually lived among them her whole life. Giving Nubia a special weapon with unique powers is a good way to avoid that problem.

Also her new origin doesn't give her any inherent divine powers so an OP blasty weapon is a way to put her closer to the level of Diana/Donna/Cassie without making her the same as them.

Yeah, I know I complained a bit but in spite of the issues I have with prose and pacing (the whole "Amazons are all part of man's world now" thing was really only addressed in, like, one page in the coronation special and we got no real explanation for it), I'm super enthusiastic about the state of the Wonderverse and most of that is thanks to Stephanie Williams. The lore is evolving more now than it has since maybe Phil Jimenez's run and most of it has happened in Nubia's books. The Amazons themselves are also getting better treatment than they ever have before - it actually feels like we're getting to know them rather than just having a few named friends and a bunch of cannon fodder, which has been a major issue even in the best runs.

Also it's fantastic that Themyscira is so much more diverse now than ever before. It's no longer predominantly white (a super white Themyscira never made sense, considering they're reborn women from all over the world), we get to actually SEE queer relationships rather than just having them referenced, and we finally have a trans Amazon with a pretty significant role (Bia). I really hope all future WW runs take that note as well.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

To each their own. I don't like constant surprises to be added to something/someone in order for them to win in a situation. It's a spear, it's a lasso of sorts, she can go into peoples minds. She good.

Written by STEPHANIE WILLIAMS
    Art by ALITHA MARTINEZ and MARK MORALES
    Cover by KHARY RANDOLPH
    Variant cover by JOËLLE JONES
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | 4 of 4 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 9/6/22
    It’s Zillah versus Nubia for the power of Sekhmet! Once upon a time they were allies, but now they have been driven apart by a vindictive goddess. Can these women find peace and understanding in time to realize the real danger in front of them? Or is this the end of Nubia’s reign for good? Find out in the final issue of our mini-series!

[/img]

That Joelle Jones cover is FIRE.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    That Joelle Jones cover is FIRE.
    It’s so beautiful.

From Stephanie Williams's social media:

Nubia and her father.

https://twitter.com/Steph_I_Will/sta...77480067567623

This is so gorgeous it's unreal. Can always count on Joelle Jones to break my little lesbian heart

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

She really does look great, her hair is perfect. I just want a more streamlined version of this look with the WW/Themysciran emblems on it, that'd be perfect