Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Poison Ivy by Wilson and Takara

First up, a six-issue Poison Ivy series will debut on June 7th from writer G. Willow Wilson and artist Marcio Takara. Here’s how DC describes the series:

In her new series, Ivy leaves Gotham City and sets out to complete her greatest work—a gift to the world that will heal the damage humanity has dealt to it!

Ivy was last seen in the pages of Harley Quinn — presumably her new miniseries will pick up where her arc in that series and as part of Fear State left off. The first issue of the series will feature a main cover by Jessica Fong, with variants by Warren Louw (open-to-order and 1:100 foil), Nick Robles (1:25), Frank Cho (1:50), and Dan Mora (team variant).
    Last edited by Hypo; 03-15-2022 at 07:18 AM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I'm down, love me some Ivy stories. Was hoping for an ongoing, but I'll take it.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I think she deserves an ongoing at this point.
    I'm disappointed Wonder Woman is losing another artist for this.

I guess it's nice to see Wilson wasn't burned off writing mainline DC books after her WW stint. Hopefully this goes better and does Ivy justice.

(But her plan is totally going to go off the rails...).

Go Ivy!

So excited for this. Her character is so current, complex and relevant. I hope DC does her justice.
    A picture would last longer darling...

I wonder which Ivy design they'll go with.

Stunning Pride variant cover (who is the artist though?)

Bleeding Cool says there are 4 variant covers already confirmed

Incredible Member

The article states it's a six-issue Poison Ivy series.
    But we know that successful minis get more issues of follow-ups, and unsuccessful ongoings are just being canceled, so it doesn't really matter. If people will buy these books, DC will likely publish more Ivy content.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    The article states it's a six-issue Poison Ivy series.
    But we know that successful minis get more issues of follow-ups, and unsuccessful ongoings are just being canceled, so it doesn't really matter. If people will buy these books, DC will likely publish more Ivy content.
    Her last mini sold more than double of the Midnighter mini when it was collected in trade paperback but Midnighter got the follow-up while Ivy didn't coz going by what Didio told a fan on Twitter, apparently someone in DC offices at the time thought Ivy being successful in her own right was taking away from Harley's popularity

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I hope this solidifies an Ivy character and direction going forward. She seems to have a core idea and defined likes/dislikes but her actual character and motivation is at the whim of the current writer.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Her last mini sold more than double of the Midnighter mini when it was collected in trade paperback but Midnighter got the follow-up while Ivy didn't coz going by what Didio told a fan on Twitter, apparently someone in DC offices at the time thought Ivy being successful in her own right was taking away from Harley's popularity
    And people wonder why I want Harley and Ivy separate at this point...

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And people wonder why I want Harley and Ivy separate at this point...
    I know it's not a popular opinion but I think being tied to Harley is the big thing that has kept Ivy relevant the last 20+ years. Outside of Greg Rucka, how many stories (without Harley) have featured Ivy in a main role since the late-90s?

We all like to think of Ivy as this big awesome eco-terrorist (hero, antihero or villain) type but she's only ever done that in a few stories. She has potential, but mostly she's been underutilised and poorly defined as to her character, goals and even power levels. Heck, it's once relatively recently that she's had consistently green skin tone.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I know it's not a popular opinion but I think being tied to Harley is the big thing that has kept Ivy relevant the last 20+ years. Outside of Greg Rucka, how many stories (without Harley) have featured Ivy in a main role since the late-90s?

We all like to think of Ivy as this big awesome eco-terrorist (hero, antihero or villain) type but she's only ever done that in a few stories. She has potential, but mostly she's been underutilised and poorly defined as to her character, goals and even power levels. Heck, it's once relatively recently that she's had consistently green skin tone.
    Relevant in the sense of appearances, but it's mostly been as an extension of Harley or as her girlfriend rather than as a compelling character in her own right, when, really, Ivy should be dominating Harley at this point. Ivy carries Harley hard.

It doesn't help that, like Confuzzled indicated, her mini-series was apparently not continued upon despite positive reception because they didn't want her to take away from Harley's popularity. And in the first issue of that same series she was finally trying to get room to breathe away from Harley .

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Stunning Pride variant cover (who is the artist though?)

Bleeding Cool says there are 4 variant covers already confirmed
    Krik Anka

Wilson and Takara? Hell of a creative team. Great for the character
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member

Variant by Dan Mora

Variant by Nick Robles

Variant by Warren Louw