Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Hate hate hate the power change but still will watch

Fantastic Member

I don't mind the powers change. Functionally they do the same thing, and it makes her look more connected with Captain Marvel's powerset. And MCU already did it in the past anyway, with Wanda being telekinetic/telepath for years before they finally revealed what she actually use magic in WandaVision.

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    I don't mind the powers change. Functionally they do the same thing, and it makes her look more connected with Captain Marvel's powerset. And MCU already did it in the past anyway, with Wanda being telekinetic/telepath for years before they finally revealed what she actually use magic in WandaVision.
    I mean, functionally, maybe...but visually and thematically I don't think they work the same way.

And I get trying to connect her more to Captain Marvel compared to the comics, but it's like with making Spider-Man more tech-y to make him closer to Iron Man...it doesn't quite feel like the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    But is it cooler than....sparkly energy?! They probably focus group this stuff to death. I'm thinking the focus groups is where the giant hands died. A series is a whole different beast than a cartoon and the powers that be are actually paying attention.
    Yeah. I can see that happening. They can squeeze her shapeshifting and healing powers with the Quantum Bands anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Nobody brings up Chris Evans as Johnny Storm in Fantastic Four when he got to be Cap America.

Same with Michael B Jordan.

Nobody bought the recasting with Batman post George Clooney.

More folks are happy with Doom Patrol Cyborg and even cartoon Cyborg than the movie one-whose actor will never get hired again.

A show from 5 years ago is not going ruin any other take on Inhumans. No matter how much a certain set of fans WANT it to. Because we easily say don't recast THAT franchise because of how bad they were done towards the end-especially T'Challa's ex-wife. TWICE. And every BLACK person in that franchise.
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    When you have a standalone series, you can easily press the big red "Reboot" button, erase everything of the older version you're no longer interested in, and start from scratch all over again. You can't do that within a shared universe.
    Why not? And who cares? The villain from Luke Cage is going to be Blade. Thor 2, The Hulk, Iron Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2, the last 3 X-Men team movies, etc. didn't stop them from making more movies with them. The show was on ABC on Friday nights and people aren't running to it on Disney Plus either.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chocomancer View Post
    It's funny that when the first poster came out, the public reaction were super negative about the change on her powers.

Some time later, several medias said that the show was undergoing re-recordings.

Now that we have the trailer out and... it's all seem the same?
    They were doing reshoots but inexplicably people decided that meant "they're reshooting the entire series to change her powers" when it was clear that was never what was happening

https://twitter.com/Blankzilla/statu...36144713900043

Kamala having the big stretchy powers was good! Both in that Wilson and Alphona intentionally wanted to give her a non-standard power for a teen girl and also it tied into her sense of identity and confidence in her self and body. It had thematic weight beyond being fun!

When the lady who co-created the character says "we didn't want to give her psychic or sparkly energy powers like every other girl hero" (paraphrased) and you...give her sparkly energy powers

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Never cared for the character and had every intention of skipping this show, but that trailer won me over with the fun animations and Walter Mitty bit. I hope that runs throughout the show, as I'll be watching now. I can understand fans not caring for the powers change, but it makes no difference to me, someone who isn't a fan.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

so they gave her both Sue and Reed Richard's powers. Not that I mind this looks like a cute show.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I can well imagine doing credible strech-y effects is a lot easier when you have a movie budget and not a budget for a six to eight episode tv series.
    Again, it's been done on TV before. Elongated Man on CW Flash.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Again, it's been done on TV before. Elongated Man on CW Flash.
    it looks like she still has the stretchy powers though
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

This is where I'm at.

The gauntlet makes her fit into Carol's world but it doesn't fit her character or story as well as her comic powers did.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I'm holding out hope that the powerset switch is a misdirection.

Because of the failure with Inhumans, it looks like her powers are now cosmic tech-based and come from her bracelet. It's possible that the bracelet eventually gets destroyed and she is somehow able to internalize the power, thus giving her the comic-based stretchy powers.
    I said something similar in the MCU thread when I first posted the trailer there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that her powers will evolve and that she will eventually assimilate them into her body without needing the bracelets. Then it would look both organic and energy-like.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The thing is, the CW Flash show already showed that her powers would work in live action just fine - they used Elongated Man for three seasons, and his powers were actually changed from the comics, but in a more minor way - he normally has Mr Fantastic's powers but instead had Plastic Man's, which, like Kamala's, is the same power (stretching) plus more (full shapeshifting).

And her powers are on the fritz in the current Beyond the Limit comic miniseries. I do wonder if her powers will be changed by the time that finishes (it's not a coincidence that Unstoppable Wasp, an engineer, is involved in the storyline - if Kamala winds up depowered Nadia could easily rig up replacement powers for her Champions teammate - ones which match the TV show).
    If anything, it looks more like Kamala's going to get all her old shapeshifting powers back after dealing with the fake who's been draining it from her all this time. They keep pointing out how she used to be able to transform into others and it's a major point of contention between her and Qalin who has that power.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I said something similar in the MCU thread when I first posted the trailer there.
    I personally don't think that's the plan atm for this TV series and upcoming The Marvels movie, but having her current powers being wearable-based means there's obvious room to have her get her more 'traditional' abilities in the future or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    If anything, it looks more like Kamala's going to get all her old shapeshifting powers back after dealing with the fake who's been draining it from her all this time. They keep pointing out how she used to be able to transform into others and it's a major point of contention between her and Qalin who has that power.
    OTOH, they also introduced the idea that her borrowing mass from her variants puts them in danger, suggesting that something has to be done about that.