Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Astonishing Member

Changing the powerset is interesting. As long as it is a good show I won't really care personally.

She's basically Green Lantern now. Not a fan of the powerser change but I hope the rest is good.

Hate they changed her powers. So she is quasar now? Ugh. Wanted to see a live action version of her comic powers and feel robbed now. Looks ok otherwise.

Edit--many of the comments on the video are attacking marvel for changing her powers so this is not something people are not happy with!

They wanted to make quasar then make quasar. It's like making a flash show and giving him aquamans powers.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 03-15-2022 at 07:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This is... a mess

Seeing her new powerset because of Feige's pettiness...big meh. First Marvel show I'm gonna skip. Her new powerset seems boring and lame af.

The thing is, the CW Flash show already showed that her powers would work in live action just fine - they used Elongated Man for three seasons, and his powers were actually changed from the comics, but in a more minor way - he normally has Mr Fantastic's powers but instead had Plastic Man's, which, like Kamala's, is the same power (stretching) plus more (full shapeshifting).

And her powers are on the fritz in the current Beyond the Limit comic miniseries. I do wonder if her powers will be changed by the time that finishes (it's not a coincidence that Unstoppable Wasp, an engineer, is involved in the storyline - if Kamala winds up depowered Nadia could easily rig up replacement powers for her Champions teammate - ones which match the TV show).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-15-2022 at 08:23 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Perhaps they are saving the streching superpower for the eventual Fantastic Four reboot?
    That's a common opinion, but doesn't she now have Invisible Woman powers, but minus invisibility?

I hate powerset change, this is exactly like people said, making her DC Lantern. I don't get why.

I'm not a big fan of her comic, but in theory I support it, and mostly because of it's connection to Inhumans and their story/origins,

as well as her admiration of Carol, Captain Marvel.
    So, taking away the Inhumans connection really is wrong and I will not be pleased. I could just delay the show, I don't know.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    I don't get why.
    Way I see it, two reasons.

1) The already mentioned Mr. Fantastic issue. If her powers are basically the same as it, it diminishes HIM if you introduce her first. And while Kamala is a great character, Mr. Fantastic is just a bigger deal. Full stop.

2) A clearer connection to Carol. Comic book Kamala only calls herself Ms. Mavel because she's a fangirl. But now the character, having cosmic energy powers, has a more obvious reason to take a name connected to Captain Marvel. Not to mention the possibility that they tie her new powers directly to the Kree or Carol in some way to make it even more explicit.

So, on the one hand, I totally get why this pisses people off. I don't want to like it myself, personally. If for no better reason than the precedent it sets for the MCU moving forward. But, on the other hand, it preserves the unique nature of Mr. Fantastic (who is coming) AND potentially ties Kamala more clearly with Carol all without fundamentally altering the character or her journey? I'm not certain that this won't be a winning formula in the long run.

However, my biggest takeaway from this trailer is that the entire project comes down to the actress for Kamala, and so far she seems pretty terrible. Maybe it's just a poor selection of material, and it's certainly a very, very limited sample. Not writing this one off by any means, but I'm no place close to hyped at this point.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The change in powers is a sour spot for me. She has a fantastic power set and seeing it changed sucks. I don't want her being green lantern.

hopefully the show is successful and leads to several seasons and some movie appearances.
    Given that the real actress will be growing up sooner than later, I wonder how long they will set her seasons in high school...
    I'm agnostic on the power change. I just hope the folks who don't like it won't be constantly flamethrowing against it and "review bombing" it before it even comes out, or nitpicking over nonsense notions like the brand of gym shoe Kamala is wearing.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 03-15-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hopefully the show is successful and leads to several seasons and some movie appearances.
    Given that the real actress will be growing up sooner than later, I wonder how long they will set her seasons in high school...
    I remember reading somewhere that the Disney Plus shows are going to replace solo character's origin movies, and they would later appear in movies.

I'm...really not sure how I feel about this.

Okay, from a tonal perspective, I think they capture the character pretty well as this fun, vibrant, coming of age story for a Muslim girl who daydreams about being a Superhero while trying to find her place in the world. So in that regard it fits.

Kamala's supporting cast doesn't look straight out of the comics but her comics were so stylized and sometimes cartoony that that was probably never going to be realistic. Weird to see her mom without her hijab though.

I like the female hero shirt, but like...why are Wasp and Valkyrie on there? Did everybody who was at the Endgame fight against Thanos become instant celebrities to the point where they get merchandise? Is Hope suddenly a celebrity because Wasp was basically just there? Although I guess now Ant-Man is famous enough that people are inserting him into the Battle of New York when he wasn't even there. I'm not sure if Valkyrie has done that much unless her being the new ruler of Asgard is putting her out there more prominently. I feel like Scarlet Witch and Black Widow would've made more sense alongside Carol.

Now...the main thing...her powers. It just really looks weird for me to take her powers, which are biological and part of a symbolic "puberty" as she metamorphisis into her hero self, and then turn that into tech that just makes GL constructs for her to use. It just doesn't have the same effect or look quite as right. Like her stepping on crystal stepping stones doesn't hold a candle to her stretchy legs. I get it, it's easier from a budget perspective and it makes her more in-line with Carol's mythos like they made Spider-Man more tech-y to make him fit with Iron Man, but it just feels off