Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I know nothing about Clan Destine and I don't expect the show will stick to the comic book lore anyway, but I'm looking forward to finding out more and hope that they add a new and interesting facet to the MCU.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Another good episode. Looks like the show as chosen Nakia to be the friend that Kamala as a falling out with instead of Bruno. It doesn't have the same impact since we never see it from Nakia side. It also not being the reason for her trip to Karachi takes away from it too.

Kamala's grandmother is just like her. I like how casual she is about the clandestine stuff.

We keep getting hints about Kamala's mom being rebellious when she was young but nothing has come of it yet. Can someone tell Kamala an embarrassing story about her mom please?

It's good to see Red Dagger made a faithful transition. I'm perplexed that the Red Daggers are suppose to be secret warriors but their are only two of them. Even when their HQ is attacked there is still only two. They are severely understaffed. Get a recruitment drive going. This part of the episode had to stress that the clandestine ain't Djinn. With the worries concerning that I can see why that needed to be emphasized more.

Poor Kamran abandoned by his mom in the prison break. I don't know why he was so surprised. He did betray her to help Kamala.

When the clandestine eventually show up in Karachi the action was pretty good. Great chase and nice fights afterward.

With Kamala traveling to the past I hope we get a Kang or TVA appearance. Episode 4 was my favorite episode so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    With Kamala traveling to the past I hope we get a Kang or TVA appearance. Episode 4 was my favorite episode so far.
    I don't think Kamala actually traveled to the past. She's living a memory within the bangle

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't think Kamala actually traveled to the past. She's living a memory within the bangle
    She was interacting with the people in the past, and they touched, and avoided her. I think she switched places with Aisha. I think it's Kamala that created the "stars" that saved her family.

Another good episode. Looks like the show as chosen Nakia to be the friend that Kamala as a falling out with instead of Bruno. It doesn't have the same impact since we never see it from Nakia side. It also not being the reason for her trip to Karachi takes away from it too.

Kamala's grandmother is just like her. I like how casual she is about the clandestine stuff.

We keep getting hints about Kamala's mom being rebellious when she was young but nothing has come of it yet. Can someone tell Kamala an embarrassing story about her mom please?

It's good to see Red Dagger made a faithful transition. I'm perplexed that the Red Daggers are suppose to be secret warriors but their are only two of them. Even when their HQ is attacked there is still only two. They are severely understaffed. Get a recruitment drive going. This part of the episode had to stress that the clandestine ain't Djinn. With the worries concerning that I can see why that needed to be emphasized more.

Poor Kamran abandoned by his mom in the prison break. I don't know why he was so surprised. He did betray her to help Kamala.

When the clandestine eventually show up in Karachi the action was pretty good. Great chase and nice fights afterward.
    I'm not familiar with Red Dagger from the comics, but the vibe I got from this episode was almost a kind of Bruce Wayne/Dick Grayson vibe ... maybe mixed with Qui Gon/Obi Wan, but the point being there's "one" Red Dagger, but he always trains a successor. So this episode was like seeing Bruce/Qui Gon die, and Dick/Obi Wan officially inheriting the mantle. Kind of how I read it, at least. Of course, the emotional impact of the audience isn't quite the same as if we'd just seen Bruce die and Dick become Batman ... but I think that's the approximate idea? If "Batman" was an identity passed down through generations of warriors...
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iatet View Post
    She was interacting with the people in the past, and they touched, and avoided her. I think she switched places with Aisha. I think it's Kamala that created the "stars" that saved her family.
    That was my take from it as well. That whole point that she HAD to come to Karachi was somehow for her to be the one that completed that loop in the past. Although if that is how it plays out that may be an unnecessary complication.

Anyway I like Kareem I hope he stays in the show he had a good introduction and immediately slotted in as one of the more interesting supporting characters for me. He needs to come back to Jersey City with her.

Time for the Karachi story! Happening much earlier than it did in the comics, and Kamala's not flying solo this time, but just like in the comics it's a pivotal moment for Kamala as she's at a crossroads in her life, identity, and burgeoning Superhero career.

Kamala's wearing her mask! And she even gets a vest that hearkens to her inevitable color scheme. They're really making good progression to her proper costume I wonder if Bruno has the final suit ready?

Kamala's growing Harem of cute boys has now added Kareem AKA Red Dagger! And while he and Kamala start off on the wrong foot, they get that bickering sexual tension you see in adventure movies going on and seem surprisingly in-sync personality wise. Not a bad adaption of their dynamic in the comics
    I guess Kamala's resolution with Nakia will have to wait until maybe the next episode.

I wasn't expecting them to turn Red Dagger from a home-grown Karachi Superhero into a full-blown secret society of legacy heroes with their own secret base, but I guess Kamala needed more exposition and training.

Of course the Djinn's plan to go back to their dimension will inevitably destroy the entire world. Can't have Kamala's debut involve something as simple as someone trying to take over Jersey or kidnapping runaway kids, no we have to deal with the world possibly ending and being replaced by another dimension. Gotta love that MCU threat scaling.

So I guess normal superpowered criminals with no political or public attention get sent to the Damage Control Supermax facility when taken into custody. Granted there are barely any surviving villains or costumed criminals in this universe so other than Abomination there's probably only, like, 3-4 named characters who could end up in said prison.

Jeez, those Damage Control guards sure roughed up Kamran and the Clan Destine. Like, if he had shocked Kamran and called him a "dirty Mutie" would anyone be surprised? I wonder if this is more indication of a growing undercurrent of anti-enhanced or powered people to shift the Marvel Universe into a world that would hate and fear Mutants, although I'm not sure if in a post-Avengers world the citizens would have much reason to act like this...although superpowered people have screwed up the world a lot.

Oof. Tough break for Kamran that his own family basically abandons him for siding with Kamala. Will he betray Kamala to get back in his family's good graces?

The Clan Destine continue to...exist. Like, there's really not much for me to say about them other than their antagonists of Ms. Marvel because that's pretty much all they are. They're not really developed, they don't have much to remember them by other than individual weapons you really don't get to see much of, and they immediately escalated to trying to kill Kamala far faster than seemed believable. I mean, we've got two more episodes left so I'm not completely writing them off, but compared to the quirky and more topical villains of Kamala's comic, the Clan Destine feels out of place. Like I can't see a lot of people by the end of the series going "man, I wish we had gotten more Clan Destine!" They're kind of reminding me of the Flag-Smashers.

Lot of surprise family drama...Kamala's grandpa left her grandma (presumably because she was so in her head regarding whatever she saw from the bangle and what happened to her own mother) and Muneeba always felt like she was more focused on her theories than focusing on raising her.

Wow, more people have died in this episode than in the entire comic book run of Ms. Marvel (I think). Like, we even had Red Dagger killing a guy by stabbing him in the back. That...that really kind of took me out of it. Is Kamala going to end up killing the Clan Destine? Would she be okay with it like most MCU heroes? I hope not.

Looks like the bangle is giving Kamala a vision of Partition to see what really happened to Aisha, and already it's clear that peoples' claims about how bad Partition was were on the money.

Yah I can't say this episode improved my enjoyment of the series. Its a shame, the show started out so well. My favorite part was Kamala at the campfire trying the food they gave her. This kid can act, but it seems like they are hardly giving her anything to do but punch punch whine whine. And, for me, all the Clandestine stuff and grandma this, grandpa that, Djinn stuff has been very hard to follow.

As we get into showing and talking about the Partition, with Kamala in the past, I can't help but be more excited just because all those pointless other characters are not going to be in the picture during the past stuff.

Just my 2 cents. I'm genuinely disappointed because Kamala is such a great character, and she feels like a minor supporting character in this one.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Niffleheim

I'm enjoying Kamala's story progressing but i'm still undecided about the Clandestine. I don't know if I like or dislike them.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I’m really enjoying the series but I agree that the Clan Destine and Damage Control are not compelling villains. CD only exist to explain who Kamala is. Even Kamran’s mom has zero personality beyond selfish and evil. I don’t care about them possibly destroying Earth in their quest to get home at all. And DODC are so incompetent that it’s tough to find them interesting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I’m really enjoying the series but I agree that the Clan Destine and Damage Control are not compelling villains. CD only exist to explain who Kamala is. Even Kamran’s mom has zero personality beyond selfish and evil. I don’t care about them possibly destroying Earth in their quest to get home at all. And DODC are so incompetent that it’s tough to find them interesting at all.
    The problem I have with damage control is they are cartoon villains. The woman in charge of things is clearing reveling in what she's doing. It brightens her day to make a minority's life hell.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Why do they even need to be destroying the world? This is, like, Kamala in year one. Shouldn't they scale things back a bit?
    The problem I have with damage control is they are cartoon villains. The woman in charge of things is clearing reveling in what she's doing. It brightens her day to make a minority's life hell.
    I don't even really understand why the guards were so rough with them. It's not like they killed anybody unless this is really trying to build up to a world that is as aggressive against Mutants just for existing when you see how they are against "Enhanced."

Astonishing Member

There are plenty of real world examples of government officials viewing minorities as dangers to the country. If anything, the show seems toned down compared to events from the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    There are plenty of real world examples of government officials viewing minorities as dangers to the country. If anything, the show seems toned down compared to events from the last few years.
    Insert "Enhanced" for "Minorities" - Although I guess soon that will become Mutants.