Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The problem I have with damage control is they are cartoon villains. The woman in charge of things is clearing reveling in what she's doing. It brightens her day to make a minority's life hell.
    That's sadly a case of Reality Is Unrealistic.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    There are plenty of real world examples of government officials viewing minorities as dangers to the country. If anything, the show seems toned down compared to events from the last few years.
    I'll say it's right in line from all the republican primaries I've had the displeasure of watching.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    There are plenty of real world examples of government officials viewing minorities as dangers to the country. If anything, the show seems toned down compared to events from the last few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Insert "Enhanced" for "Minorities" - Although I guess soon that will become Mutants.
    Yeah, but the metaphor breaks down a little easily when used like that. The ‘government’ think ‘minorities’ are dangerous for whatever reason, but if ‘the government’ think ‘enhanced’ people are dangerous, because they have actual super powers. Kamala’s ‘people’ (the Noor/Djinn/clanDastine) are literally trying to destroy the world. These are actually reasonable fears for ‘the government’ to worry about, lol

Mighty Member

I like how she's slowly getting her outfit from the comics together.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Yeah, but the metaphor breaks down a little easily when used like that. The ‘government’ think ‘minorities’ are dangerous for whatever reason, but if ‘the government’ think ‘enhanced’ people are dangerous, because they have actual super powers. Kamala’s ‘people’ (the Noor/Djinn/clanDastine) are literally trying to destroy the world. These are actually reasonable fears for ‘the government’ to worry about, lol
    I mean, that's always been where the Mutant Metaphor falls flat where it's like people immediately hating Mutants is wrong even though some Mutants are genuinely dangerous, actively seek to wipe out/kill humans, and can have randomized dangerous powers at the drop of a hat.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I mean, that's always been where the Mutant Metaphor falls flat where it's like people immediately hating Mutants is wrong even though some Mutants are genuinely dangerous, actively seek to wipe out/kill humans, and can have randomized dangerous powers at the drop of a hat.
    You’re actually proving the metaphor works. Your argument that it is right to fear any and all Mutants is exactly reflective of what’s happening in the real world. That’s how America works. Minorities are judged as collectively dangerous, judged on their worst members, not their best. Same thing as the anti-Mutant argument. You can say, “oh it’s more rational in the comics because Mutants have powers and in the real world they don’t” but very few Mutants are more dangerous than humans with AR-15s or bombs in our world. Within the Marvel universe, human-made Sentinels could wipe out 16 million people in minutes. How many Mutants can do that? If fear was rational, people in the MU should fear MU humans, geniuses, AI, aliens, etc., way more than Mutants. Plus, in the MU, the free availability of power inhibiting tech, as we’ve seen since the launch of Krakoa makes Mutants hardly a major threat at all.

In the MCU, as far as Damage Control knows, Kamala and the Clan Destine are definitely less dangerous than somebody with a weapon, but they’re acting like they’re super-criminals. They don’t know CD’s plan.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    You’re actually proving the metaphor works. Your argument that it is right to fear any and all Mutants is exactly reflective of what’s happening in the real world. That’s how America works. Minorities are judged as collectively dangerous, judged on their worst members, not their best. Same thing as the anti-Mutant argument. You can say, “oh it’s more rational in the comics because Mutants have powers and in the real world they don’t” but very few Mutants are more dangerous than humans with AR-15s or bombs in our world. Within the Marvel universe, human-made Sentinels could wipe out 16 million people in minutes. How many Mutants can do that? If fear was rational, people in the MU should fear MU humans, geniuses, AI, aliens, etc., way more than Mutants. Plus, in the MU, the free availability of power inhibiting tech, as we’ve seen since the launch of Krakoa makes Mutants hardly a major threat at all.

In the MCU, as far as Damage Control knows, Kamala and the Clan Destine are definitely less dangerous than somebody with a weapon, but they’re acting like they’re super-criminals. They don’t know CD’s plan.
    I think the difference is that Mutants can spontaneously unlock or gain dangerous powers that they aren't always able to control and some become literal nukes.

Not to say they should be judged by their worst but they're not always people who can make choices in the matter.

Astonishing Member

Yes, there have been several stories of mutants ‘losing control’ and hurting others, without trying or intent. And Kamala’s more powerful than an average joe with a weapon, what are you talking about? (incidentally, most average joes think weapons should be regulated and/or monitored. )

Is DC gonna build giant robots that will "neutrilize" threats next?

Fantastic Member

I'm sorry that I'm not enjoying this series. Ep. 4 may have been what makes me stop watching. How can Kamala wander off with a boy who tried to kill her, especially so soon after what happened with Clan Destine? I've not read Ms. Marvel comics, so perhaps people who are familiar with Red Dagger can hand wave her actions. But for me, it's a turn off.

Also, Kamala's grandmother doesn't seem like someone who would worry about keeping Kamala's djinnetics a secret from her daughter. I hate unnecessary secret identities, so that whole aspect of the story annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    I'm sorry that I'm not enjoying this series. Ep. 4 may have been what makes me stop watching. How can Kamala wander off with a boy who tried to kill her, especially so soon after what happened with Clan Destine? I've not read Ms. Marvel comics, so perhaps people who are familiar with Red Dagger can hand wave her actions. But for me, it's a turn off.

Also, Kamala's grandmother doesn't seem like someone who would worry about keeping Kamala's djinnetics a secret from her daughter. I hate unnecessary secret identities, so that whole aspect of the story annoys me.
    Ah.... but she got betrayed when she trusted a group that helped her. So obviously the correct thing to do is too trust a stranger that attacked her. And she's proven right.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Is DC gonna build giant robots that will "neutrilize" threats next?
    I feel like this has to be building up to the government response to Mutants.

I think the difference is that Mutants can spontaneously unlock or gain dangerous powers that they aren't always able to control and some become literal nukes.

Not to say they should be judged by their worst but they're not always people who can make choices in the matter.
    I mean, not all mutants have powers that are dangerous to others.

You're still proving that the metaphor works. Look at how in real life how people go 'that guy might have a gun/bomb/knife/infected with a deadly disease'.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I mean, not all mutants have powers that are dangerous to others.

You're still proving that the metaphor works. Look at how in real life how people go 'that guy might have a gun/bomb/knife/infected with a deadly disease'.
    I guess I feel like it's different because Mutant powers can be so varied, unpredictable, and are an actual biological process no one has certain control of.

I'm not justifying the hate Mutants get, just that they're not an exact minority parallel. Not that it's ever stopped them .

***SPOILERS FOR EP 5******
    The latest ep felt like one of those kid's shows where the magical hero travels to the past where we learn about an important part of history - come along! But I've felt that about the entire show - the balance between showing us Kamala's culture and the story aren't working for me. I was much more affected by "Watchmen" and "Umbrella Academy" when they chose to immerse us in a specific part of history. Those didn't strike me as being so didactic. And even as pedantic as Stephen Grant was, he managed to do it in a fun way that displayed his character, while having it pay off within the story.

And was that really how they dealt with Clan Destine? That can't be it, can it? I don't even understand what happened. How did whatsername close the rift? It looked to me like she just died, the way the other one did.