Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    trust me as an xmen reader for almost 3 decades.
    Now I don’t know who to trust, as I too have read X-Men comics for decades, and am reading their current stories. What we perceive a set of characters to be doesn’t mean that’s ALL they have to be.

This goes for Ms Marvel as well, as I’ve seen a lot of people perhaps going overboard with their critiques (telling the writers they’ve messed up the whole show/character etc) - when really we just need to wait and see.

Kamala's personality is on point.

I get people being bugged by the change in her powers but lets wait and see what Marvel does. It's possible that the show ends with her gaining her comic book powers or she gets them in CM2. It's not possible to do the Terrigen Mist bomb in the MCU right now. Inhumans sank as a franchise and if Kamala is a mutant that puts her closer to the X-Men than Carol Danvers. The third option would be that she gains her powers from something connected to her heritage (this seems to be Marvel's modus operandi for their non white heroes; BP with his herb and Shang Chi with his ten rings) or something connected to the Kree which would justify her involvement in a Carol Danvers story.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Both Kamala and Monica Rambeau are already confirmed for The Marvels (which is the sequel to Captain Marvel). Hell, we've seen pics of Kamala's actress in her new outfit for that film already.
    My mistake I meant the captain marvel 2 movie which is called the marvels or something like that. there is no ms marvel movie. I had zero clue Kamala is in the second film. so I am guessing she will play off Brie Larson's Carol?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Both Kamala and Monica Rambeau are already confirmed for The Marvels (which is the sequel to Captain Marvel). Hell, we've seen pics of Kamala's actress in her new outfit for that film already.
    Because even Kamala gets hit with "needs a new merchandiseable costume for next appearance."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Green Lantern powers won't allow her to shrink and be literally small when she's feeling depressed, morph into something when she's in a panic or grow in size when excitable. It will not be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't need to watch the show to know the change will fundamentally alter the character relationship with her powers and how they function. The cartoonish expressions won't be possible with quantum bands. Next you will tell me there is no difference if Spider-Man has web shooters or organic webbing
    100% spot on.

Also, Raimi was the only guy who ever used Spider-Man's webs as a metaphor for you-know-what. No one ever implied that about webshooters. There is a reason for that.

Kamala in the comics is also a person that can, change her body anytime to look like Carol's, but chooses not to. She chooses to be herself and show her real face even though as a brown teen she will experience more ageism and racism by doing this. Now that's gone too.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-18-2022 at 10:27 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    0:25 really makes it look like she's stretching...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    The change to her power set is unfortunate to me, but the series looks fun! It reminds me of the first kick ass movie, just without the r rated elements.

I think it’ll be a fun watch!
    the trailer made me think of Edgar Wright's "Scott Pilgrim vs the World" far more than "Kick Ass".... which would make a lot more sense given that this would be in D+

Feige finally addressed the power change.

"We adapt the comics; it's not an exact translation," Feige told Empire about all the changes to Ms. Marvel's backstory. "[Kamala] came about in a very specific time within the comic-book continuity. She is now coming into a very specific time within the MCU continuity. And those two things didn’t match."

MCU Boss Explains Why Ms. Marvel's Powers Were Changed for the Disney+ Series https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-power-change-reason-mcu/
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

"We adapt the comics; it's not an exact translation," Feige told Empire about all the changes to Ms. Marvel's backstory. "[Kamala] came about in a very specific time within the comic-book continuity. She is now coming into a very specific time within the MCU continuity. And those two things didn’t match."

MCU Boss Explains Why Ms. Marvel's Powers Were Changed for the Disney+ Series https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-power-change-reason-mcu/
    Makes sense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I get it, they couldn't use the Inhumans, but I'm not sure they quite adapted her powers as well in spirit as they might think they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get it, they couldn't use the Inhumans, but I'm not sure they quite adapted her powers as well in spirit as they might think they have.
    If you have two heroes (Carol and Monica) that fly, manipulate energy and breathe in space you don't want one (Kamala) that can't fly, can't manipulate energy and can't breathe in space. Maybe they thought it was too difficult to write around so they decided to give her Quantum Bands.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

If you have two heroes (Carol and Monica) that fly, manipulate energy and breathe in space you don't want one (Kamala) that can't fly, can't manipulate energy and can't breathe in space. Maybe they thought it was too difficult to write around so they decided to give her Quantum Bands.
    Yeah. Brand synergy seems to be the main reason for her change in power.

I know a part of Khamala arc is that she is different from Carol, but that works so good in comic because they subvert the expectative that members of a "superhero family" have similar powers.

That situation about "superhero families" isn't so common in the MCU (yet), so the subversion wouldn't be so strong.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-10-2022 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Yeah. Brand synergy seems to be the main reason for her change in power.

I know a part of Khamala arc is that she is different from Carol, but that works so good in comic because they subvert the expectative that members of a "superhero family" have similar powers.

That situation about "superhero families" isn't so common in the MCU (yet), so the subversion wouldn't be so strong.
    Plus the mist bomb was also playing into a teenager's uncertain future. Everything changes now that she can literally shapeshift.