Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I thought Fury called her Captain Marvel in her solo movie and she corrected him, by saying "It's Mar-vell ..." ??
    I was just thinking it makes sense if Fury came up with the name. If nothing else, as a codename for his files to protect her civilian ID. It would make sense since he knows Carol is a Captain and knows about Mar-Vell. I imagine Carol being okay with it once Fury told her that was the codename he used for her.

Or, I can also imagine Carol coming up with it in a conversation with Monica if she asked Carol what her superhero name was. It'd be interesting if we find out Monica came up with the name.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I liked episode 2 even more than episode 1. Felt it was well constructed and a lot of fun. Things moved forward. The characters developed. The mysteries deepened with more texture. And the cliffhanger was hot.

Episode 2 was great. I love how specifically Pakistani it is. Kamala has always been treated as kind of a modern day Spider-Man and all of the little flourishes as well as the story they're telling gave me pretty heavy Raimi movie vibes.

Time for Superhero training.

The hard light constructs being Kamala's abilities might be a dealbreaker for some. They just don't really feel very "Kamala" but I guess if you view this as an extension of the Kree mythology and the Captain Marvel franchise, at least moreso compared to the comics, it works well enough. It just feels weird to me.

But apparently her powers are still biological in nature, the bangle just brings them out, more or less. Which makes me wonder if her final evolution will be something more like her actual comic powers unless they keep leaning hard with the constructs for a variety of reasons. Will Kamala say Embiggen?

Ah, "Nightlight," the new "Night Monkey." Makes me wonder how they come up with Ms. Marvel and get that out there.

This was the Nakia content I'd been waiting for, seeing her and Kamala as best friend and seeing how outspoken and dedicated she is. Also with more headscarf designs and I think this is the most we've ever seen of Nakia's hair.

She even has her own storyline of running for the Mosque Board. Will Yusef back up his daughters' best friend instead of his best friend? Will they catch the Mosque shoe bandit? Stay tuned.

It's funny to me that Kamala and Bruno talk about a secret identity being an important part of being a Superhero when the only heroes who really have them in the MCU are Spider-Man and (I guess) Moon Knight.

They actually made a joke about how well Paul Rudd ages, but at least Scott has the excuse that he was basically blipped.

They introduce Kamran earlier than in the comics and make him part of Kamala's school life, which was interesting. Although the fact that the lyrics call him out as a "bad boy" the moment Kamala sees him should be your first clue that he's not the best influence for Kamala.

I want that counselor to talk to every member of the cast. It seems like Bruno's main drama is going to be whether he wants to leave Kamala for California while she's still unaware of his feelings for her and focused so much on Kamran.

So I'm guessing Kamala's great-grandmother fought off (and maybe killed) some people during the Partition to save her family with her powers...

Moments lifted straight from the comics: The scene of Sheikh Abdullah and the girls at the Mosque and the scene of Kamala unknowingly drinking alcohol at the party! Even the dialogue was basically the same.

They actually kept the wild teen party Kamala goes to! And she actually got her parents' permission for this one. Only this time it gets broken up by the police instead of Terrigen Mist.

Was the guy who gave Kamala the cup still Josh? They didn't really name him or bring much attention to him if it was...I also didn't recognize the other guy with them.

Well, to be fair, Kamala is technically responsible for Zoe being in danger in the first place, even if it wasn't intentional. But now Zoe feels guilty for unconsciously outing the racial identity of her idol.

How are we supposed to be viewing the DODC in this? As antagonists? Are they just coming off worse and more obstructive to set up a twist? What is their endgoal here? To take Kamala into custody, find out what she does, and make her sign the Accords or something? Do they have to find and take care of any Enhanced individual? Are they the new Superhero police in the MCU? Do they have outstanding warrants out for Spider-Man and Moon Knight? Does Kate Bishop and the craziness she and Hawkeye were embroiled exempt because she's not Enhanced and she got Avenger cred?

At least they had enough sense to know how bad the optics would be if they weren't careful about watching the Mosques...

I love how Kamala had her cosplay costume ready for whenever she needed to suit up. I'm wondering if we'll get the real suit at the end of episode 3 or maybe episode 4...unless they save it for the finale in true Disney+ fashion.

Well, that rescue went 96% well. Kamala saved the kid but because of that vision she wasn't quite able to stick the landing and may have hurt his ankle. But the kids' still alive, which is what matters.

I thought that drone was from the Inventory, but it seems like the villain for this iteration of Kamala's story is going to be...Kamran's mom? Maybe Kamala and her family aren't the only ones with abilities in their DNA.

This is a fun series. Teenagers can be dorks, and Kamala has a lot of life and energy in her. I only have passing knowledge of her from the comics, which I'm trying to read along with this series, and I appreciate how closely this show can adapt scenes from the comic.

The wider MCU references are...it's kind of skirting a line between this is how fans in real life would act and this is how fans in the MCU would really act and what they should actually know. I think Hawkeye felt like a more accurate portrayal of that than how it was treated in WandaVision.

I love the insights into Kamala's culture, which is under represented. When they were talking about Bollywood, did they reference Kingo from Eternals?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of weird seeing Matt Lintz in a more goofy role after his "Walking Dead" episodes. Then again there have been a lot of TWD actors jumping onto Marvel stuff-Rooker was the first, but of course there's Danai, Bernthal, Ridloff was in Eternals and still is on the main show..and Ross Marquand (Aaron) was Red Skull in the Infinity saga.
    Ross Marquand seems to have taken over the role of Ultron as well.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    After watching Ep 2, this is feeling like one of the FreeForm shows, but not even as good as "Runaways" or "Cloak & Dagger."
    I definitely got that vibe, but already I think it's better than Cloak & Dagger and at least on the same level as Runaways with room to improve.

I was just thinking it makes sense if Fury came up with the name. If nothing else, as a codename for his files to protect her civilian ID. It would make sense since he knows Carol is a Captain and knows about Mar-Vell. I imagine Carol being okay with it once Fury told her that was the codename he used for her.

Or, I can also imagine Carol coming up with it in a conversation with Monica if she asked Carol what her superhero name was. It'd be interesting if we find out Monica came up with the name.
    That could make sense. In the dishwashing scene, they are just talking about Mar-Vell as a separate person and nothing indicates that Carol is going to take her name as a codename. I hope they use the next Captain Marvel movie to clear things up about Carol's reputation in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's funny to me that Kamala and Bruno talk about a secret identity being an important part of being a Superhero when the only heroes who really have them in the MCU are Spider-Man and (I guess) Moon Knight.
    Daredevil too. He's probably local enough to have influenced Bruno's way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I love the insights into Kamala's culture, which is under represented. When they were talking about Bollywood, did they reference Kingo from Eternals?
    Kamala and Kamran geeked out over Kingo and Kingo sr.
    Daredevil too. He's probably local enough to have influenced Bruno's way of thinking.
    I forgot about Daredevil! Yeah, I guess we have to count him now.

To me, this was a great way to introduce her culture. Very insightful for me, as someone who is pretty unfamiliar with it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Another good episode. Nice to see that Kamran is not a villain on the show. All his villainous traits went to his mother.

The rumor of Kamala being clandestine in the MCU is true. That puts the death nail of Inhumans in the MCU. In the flashback the arm that has the bangle is blue. I'm willing to bet the owner was a kree. Kamala coming from a line of evil genies is amusing to think about.

I liked all the scenes of Kamala and her community being together. It's great to see how tightly knit they all are. I'm sure it will pay off big in the finale.

It's interesting that Kamala trip to Pakistan in the comic will involve her mother. Their relationship isn't that bad they'll need to go together. Unless this is how the show chooses to have her mother found out about her identity. It kinda sucks that Kamala's relationship with her dad is going underdeveloped. He was definitely the more supportive parent of the two.

Second part was pretty good but I almost felt like there was a scene missing from the beginning as it jumped right into the exposition and it didn't seem she was properly introduced to the Djinn family.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The rumor of Kamala being clandestine in the MCU is true. That puts the death nail of Inhumans in the MCU.
    Well, we did get Black Bolt in DS2, so I think there's still potential.

I didn’t hate the djinn origin, though the lack of embiggening still feels like a consolation prize. This is going pretty well so far.

Could the Hostess pie bit be a bit of a wink to the old comic ads?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Again, I’m really into the show. Nice mix of family and culture with superhero action. All the supporting characters are great. Glad they didn’t drag out the Clan Destine reveal. Boom, we meet them, they’re evil, there’s a fight, and they’re arrested all in the same episode. And Damage Control (accidentally) does something positive. I think the parents, including her mom, are a little too tolerant of her shenanigans. She pulled the fire alarm at her brother’s wedding!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I liked all the scenes of Kamala and her community being together. It's great to see how tightly knit they all are. I'm sure it will pay off big in the finale.
    I’d geek out for a Tobey Spider-Man and New Yorkers vibe of the community embracing and protecting her.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Could the Hostess pie bit be a bit of a wink to the old comic ads?
    That made me smile. Those ads were an awesome universe.

Well, we did get Black Bolt in DS2, so I think there's still potential.
    Inhumans could also be called not Inhunans

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Again, I’m really into the show. Nice mix of family and culture with superhero action. All the supporting characters are great. Glad they didn’t drag out the Clan Destine reveal. Boom, we meet them, they’re evil, there’s a fight, and they’re arrested all in the same episode. And Damage Control (accidentally) does something positive. I think the parents, including her mom, are a little too tolerant of her shenanigans. She pulled the fire alarm at her brother’s wedding!

I’d geek out for a Tobey Spider-Man and New Yorkers vibe of the community embracing and protecting her.

That made me smile. Those ads were an awesome universe.
    Is there any relation between the Clan Destine on Ms. Marvel and the Clan Destine family of superheroes Alan Davis created? I seem to remembr their matriarch was Djinn but I could be wrong.