Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I figured because it just looks weird. And if there are any scenes of her giant hand where you get a good look at it, it's going to take a lot more work to make it look realistic than an energy hand, and this is still a tv show budget. But, maybe there are other reasons (like tying her more to Carol as mentioned above) - that was just my initial reaction.
    It's been said that the D+ shows get movie budgets. It would have been impossible to get any of the Marvel D+ shows on a TV budget.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    it's not negligible. Reed isn't able to shrink and grow in size, transform into different people and objects, and completely change his dimensions. Focusing on only the elasticity is undercutting what Kamala can do.
    And yet it's the most obviously visual element of her powers, and far and away the most commonly used. General audiences absolutely would either get confused by the similarity between the two characters or would find Reed derivative.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    And yet it's the most obviously visual element of her powers, and far and away the most commonly used. General audiences absolutely would either get confused by the similarity between the two characters or would find Reed derivative.
    MCU is filled with characters with derivative powers and skill sets. Everyone in Tony circle got powered armor, got an entire army of black widows out in the wild, got another archer with Kate Bishop. You honestly expect me to believe with all these characters existing in this mainstream universe that a general audience can't handle two characters with surface level similarities? C'mon now

Mighty Member

MCU is filled with characters with derivative powers and skill sets. Everyone in Tony circle got powered armor, got an entire army of black widows out in the wild, got another archer with Kate Bishop. You honestly expect me to believe with all these characters existing in this mainstream universe that a general audience can't handle two characters with surface level similarities? C'mon now
    General audiences have already met War Machine and now Kate Bishop. Both of whom have a direct relationship to the hero whom they are derivative from.

Now we introduce Kamala. Who is tied to Carol thematically, but has no connection to her powers? Only to then later introduce Reed, whom Kamala has a clear visual connection to power-wise but absolutely no connection to in story?

Yes, that would absolutely be a problem and you know it.

I'm...really not sure how I feel about this.

Okay, from a tonal perspective, I think they capture the character pretty well as this fun, vibrant, coming of age story for a Muslim girl who daydreams about being a Superhero while trying to find her place in the world. So in that regard it fits.

Kamala's supporting cast doesn't look straight out of the comics but her comics were so stylized and sometimes cartoony that that was probably never going to be realistic. Weird to see her mom without her hijab though.

I like the female hero shirt, but like...why are Wasp and Valkyrie on there? Did everybody who was at the Endgame fight against Thanos become instant celebrities to the point where they get merchandise? Is Hope suddenly a celebrity because Wasp was basically just there? Although I guess now Ant-Man is famous enough that people are inserting him into the Battle of New York when he wasn't even there. I'm not sure if Valkyrie has done that much unless her being the new ruler of Asgard is putting her out there more prominently. I feel like Scarlet Witch and Black Widow would've made more sense alongside Carol.

Now...the main thing...her powers. It just really looks weird for me to take her powers, which are biological and part of a symbolic "puberty" as she metamorphisis into her hero self, and then turn that into tech that just makes GL constructs for her to use. It just doesn't have the same effect or look quite as right. Like her stepping on crystal stepping stones doesn't hold a candle to her stretchy legs. I get it, it's easier from a budget perspective and it makes her more in-line with Carol's mythos like they made Spider-Man more tech-y to make him fit with Iron Man, but it just feels off

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    General audiences have already met War Machine and now Kate Bishop. Both of whom have a direct relationship to the hero whom they are derivative from.

Now we introduce Kamala. Who is tied to Carol thematically, but has no connection to her powers? Only to then later introduce Reed, whom Kamala has a clear visual connection to power-wise but absolutely no connection to in story?

Yes, that would absolutely be a problem and you know it.
    There is no problem because unlike the comics Carol was never ms. Marvel in this universe. As far they know she modelled herself after the hero she admired most. An actual connection to Carol wouldn't be needed to make it work. She definitely wouldn't have needed similar powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now...the main thing...her powers. It just really looks weird for me to take her powers, which are biological and part of a symbolic "puberty" as she metamorphisis into her hero self, and then turn that into tech that just makes GL constructs for her to use. It just doesn't have the same effect or look quite as right. Like her stepping on crystal stepping stones doesn't hold a candle to her stretchy legs. I get it, it's easier from a budget perspective and it makes her more in-line with Carol's mythos like they made Spider-Man more tech-y to make him fit with Iron Man, but it just feels off
    Her use of the crystals reminds me of Hiro's mini machines from "Big Hero 6." (although the crystals seem to defy gravity whereas his machines did not)

it's not negligible. Reed isn't able to shrink and grow in size, transform into different people and objects, and completely change his dimensions. Focusing on only the elasticity is undercutting what Kamala can do.
    It is to the general audience.

It looks fun and I thought it captured her debut's tone pretty well.

I'm not fond of the powers change. I didn't see her elasticity as a negative because it made her standout as a legacy. Plus they could use Kamala's VFX as a learning curve for when they do FF.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It is to the general audience.
    A general audience isn't that stupid. If Marvel invests in using Kamala extensive power set more this is a non issue.

I miss her stretchy legs the most.

Also, is it really "embiggening" if she's not actually enlarging her hand but just making a crystal fist?

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Wonder what the reasoning was on changing the powerset. I don't mind it really if the show implementation is good. But, would be cool to know why.
    At first I thought the same thing but this change makes sense for a live version. Its definitely more visually appealing.

Not my style but this show looks really well made so far. I'm predicting this will be a hit.

I think they captured Kamala's Character. Nerdy, insecure, but has so much potential and setting the road where we watch her journey as a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    At first I thought the same thing but this change makes sense for a live version. Its definitely more visually appealing.

Not my style but this show looks really well made so far. I'm predicting this will be a hit.

I think they captured Kamala's Character. Nerdy, insecure, but has so much potential and setting the road where we watch her journey as a hero.
    I dunno, it looks out of place for Ms. Marvel to me personally.

It fits someone associated with Carol Danvers, but not the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

She's got the Quasar wrist bands. Maybe energy powers are easier/cheaper to do than stretching. Plus, they're going to want her fighting with Carol and Monica. Maybe they wanted synergies.

Looks very Disney Channel to me, so not sure I'll like it but I give everything MCU a go.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    She's got the Quasar wrist bands. Maybe energy powers are easier/cheaper to do than stretching. Plus, they're going to want her fighting with Carol and Monica. Maybe they wanted synergies.

Looks very Disney Channel to me, so not sure I'll like it but I give everything MCU a go.
    I get why they would want Kamala to gel more thematically with Carol if they're trying to more closely associate the two here...but it doesn't quite feel like her Ms. Marvel as a result.