Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I saw Iman said that but I don’t see it. Not exactly, at least. Her powers are more like DC’s Bunker who makes purple light bricks that he can use all the same ways Kamala uses hers.
    The fact that Iman actually knows who Armor is does it for me .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I saw Iman said that but I don’t see it. Not exactly, at least. Her powers are more like DC’s Bunker who makes purple light bricks that he can use all the same ways Kamala uses hers.
    Bunker comparison is a good one. Forgot about him.

Finished Ms. Marvel today and ultimately liked the series! Here are some changes I think I would have made:

1. No time travel. Have Kamala learn how to use her powers with the Red Daggers and ultimately get visions of her great-grandmother but keep that to a flashback instead spending an entire episode on a weird time travel plot. Also have her return to Jersey City in episode 5.

2. Develop the high school characters earlier. While Kamala is in Karachi, I would have had Bruno, Nakia, and Zoe meet up instead of just coming back to them in the finale. I would have potentially even had them make Kamala's costume since they each intimately know the different parts of Kamala (Bruno is her best friend, Nakia understands her experience as a young Muslim girl, and Zoe understands her admiration of Captain Marvel).

3. Don't send the Clan Destine to Pakistan. Getting rid of the main antagonists and the world ending threat BEFORE the finale was not a great move. I would have had the finale be a three way fight between Damage Control, Clan Destine, and Ms. Marvel. Having this group of clear villains present would have justified Damage Control's escalation of the situation a bit more.

4. Teases for the future. I would have Kamran developing powers be a tease for a future instead of a last minute addition, AND I'd have him searching for the second bangle (which got dropped for some reason). Maybe have him seek out or join the new Ten Rings to find it. Sidenote, I'd also have the Clan Destine explain why Noor was so great and give Kamran a compelling reason to want to go there despite being born on earth.

5. Mutation. Yeah... this is a no for me, if only because her current origins are VERY confusing. Having her be the first MCU mutant to show up seems hasty. I think having Carol Danvers show up is enough of a connection to the wider MCU. IF they were gonna to add another layer to her origins that explains why she has powers and her family doesn't they DEFINITELY should have tied it to experimentation from the Kree or Skrulls to tie it back into the Marvel mythos.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 07-17-2022 at 09:53 PM.

Personally I think they should've done a more straightforward adaption of her initial comic book run.

If handled right the Inventor would've been a more serviceable villain than the Clan Destine or Damage Control (and, y'know, an actual Ms. Marvel villain) and it would've let them develop her supporting cast more.

I guess because they treat these as one-and-dones that service the movies they felt like they had to throw in as much lore as they possibly could.

Incredible Member

I was listening to the Ringer-Verse podcast with Mallory Rubin and Joanna Robinson. They had an interview with the head writer and she mentioned a lot of ideas they wanted to do but had to cut like a longer training session with the leader of the Red Daggers to show how she got so much better with her powers etc.

Seems like the hardest part of making these shows is not having enough time to put in everything you want while also not knowing if or when you will get another chance to do the stuff you have to take out. She has no idea if there will be a second season or not.

The Netflix shows were too long and it seems Marvel over corrected and now they are too short.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    I was listening to the Ringer-Verse podcast with Mallory Rubin and Joanna Robinson. They had an interview with the head writer and she mentioned a lot of ideas they wanted to do but had to cut like a longer training session with the leader of the Red Daggers to show how she got so much better with her powers etc.

Seems like the hardest part of making these shows is not having enough time to put in everything you want while also not knowing if or when you will get another chance to do the stuff you have to take out. She has no idea if there will be a second season or not.

The Netflix shows were too long and it seems Marvel over corrected and now they are too short.

But then why don't you try and do a smaller and simpler story. Or does management say we want all of this in 6 do it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    But then why don't you try and do a smaller and simpler story. Or does management say we want all of this in 6 do it.
    Well you have to have the family/friends in Jersey City stuff. Most of that people really liked. Going to Karachi, which is where most people seem to feel the show dragged, was necessary because of the bangle and it’s history. Also the writers and directors felt it was important to show Pakistan and Partition.

The Clan Destine were probably included because you could tie them back to Pakistan. That was probably an attempt to streamline the story by tying Kamala to the villains through her great grandmother. You could just have Damage Control be the villain but how do they tie in with going to Karachi?

They also had to have everything tied up with a bow so that she’s ready to hop over to The Marvels. I think they tried to do a simple story and honestly it’s not that complicated. The one thing I think most people would cut out is the Pakistan stuff but that’s obviously important to a Ms. Marvel show for cultural reasons so it needs to be there.

great mini series. I hope that Marvel gets the same creative parties to produce a second season.

I guess we'll see how this connects to ________________________ . We'll see. Could be fun.

Astonishing Member

Well you have to have the family/friends in Jersey City stuff. Most of that people really liked. Going to Karachi, which is where most people seem to feel the show dragged, was necessary because of the bangle and it’s history. Also the writers and directors felt it was important to show Pakistan and Partition.

The Clan Destine were probably included because you could tie them back to Pakistan. That was probably an attempt to streamline the story by tying Kamala to the villains through her great grandmother. You could just have Damage Control be the villain but how do they tie in with going to Karachi?

They also had to have everything tied up with a bow so that she’s ready to hop over to The Marvels. I think they tried to do a simple story and honestly it’s not that complicated. The one thing I think most people would cut out is the Pakistan stuff but that’s obviously important to a Ms. Marvel show for cultural reasons so it needs to be there.

I don't mind the Pakistan stuff I don't feel like it was written all that well. Her cousins just leaving her to wonder around was just a plot device, but wasn't logical writing. Those things bug me. Get from Point A to Point B in a logical manner. And the Clandestine stuff was wrapped up in an odd way still not sure wtf happened. Her in Jersey city I liked on the front and back end. I get why she goes to Pakistan. And didn't even mind the time travel. It got confusing to me. And I lost track of motivations. Things were happening that had to happen but they were occurring in a space that was to constrictive. In my opinion.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I don't mind the Pakistan stuff I don't feel like it was written all that well. Her cousins just leaving her to wonder around was just a plot device, but wasn't logical writing. Those things bug me. Get from Point A to Point B in a logical manner. And the Clandestine stuff was wrapped up in an odd way still not sure wtf happened. Her in Jersey city I liked on the front and back end. I get why she goes to Pakistan. And didn't even mind the time travel. It got confusing to me. And I lost track of motivations. Things were happening that had to happen but they were occurring in a space that was to constrictive. In my opinion.
    That’s why I think Marvel has over corrected by only doing six episodes. I think maybe 8 would be a sweet spot.

That’s why I think Marvel has over corrected by only doing six episodes. I think maybe 8 would be a sweet spot.
    I think two chunks of 6 eps each, released two weeks apart would be great. I always thought the Netflix Marvel shows should've split in two installments to prevent that feeling of lag in the middle when a lot of people binged them in one go.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-17-2022 at 09:05 PM.

Astonishing Member

I agree. When I watch stranger things I don't feel like the are rushing. But I don't feel like they are dragging it either. I think thats where you need to be.

To be honest I didn't need so much lore or mythos in the first season but if they didn't expect to get a season 2 and needed Kamala to be at a certain point for The Marvels, I guess they couldn't help themselves.

But the Karachi stuff and even the story of her ancestors came quite a bit later in her comic history.

Also I still just find it weird that they didn't use any of Kamala's actual villains in this (which, again, it's not like who they went with really sold themselves as great villains).

Glad the mutant stuff was so under-emphasized, because I think that's a terrible error for this character and will be hand-waved away at some point. It paints her into a corner and pretty much ensures she will be relegated to just being one of the crowd. Perhaps that is what Marvel wants, but its not the right thing to do with Ms. Marvel.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Glad the mutant stuff was so under-emphasized, because I think that's a terrible error for this character and will be hand-waved away at some point. It paints her into a corner and pretty much ensures she will be relegated to just being one of the crowd. Perhaps that is what Marvel wants, but its not the right thing to do with Ms. Marvel.
    Wow, people are all over the place with this. Some think she’s going to be put on the X-Men and take over the team while others think she will be overshadowed and fade into obscurity.

I think she will land somewhere in the middle and be ok.