Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    It absolutely doesn't make a difference how Spidey shoots his webs. Yes the web shooters show his ingenuity but so can a bunch of other things. At the end of the day, whether they're organic or mechanical, whether he makes his suit or Stark does, what's the essence of Spidey that shouldn't be messed with, lest he become unrecognizable? It's him being a kid from Queens who just wants to do good, who (as he told Stark in CW) believes that if one can do something but then doesn't, then bad things happen, then it's your fault. As long as that's intact, everything else is 100% cosmetic and only matters to purists. Which is fine. Not saying people can't have these opinions. But Wolverine is meant to be a short furry guy who thematically has a chip on his shoulder and is a firebrand. Did casting Jackman, a tall pretty boy, ruin the character or make him "lesser"? Most that matter (i.e. majority of movie going audience) will say no.

Like, hey, at the end of the day, as long as an adaptation gets the core right and works in a bunch of other ways, I think we fans, who will be well sated with superhero material in 2022, should be a bit more c'est la vie about it, even if Ms. Marvel already has an "original sin" counting against it. But that's just me.
    I think what matters is how something reflects on the character in question and enhances their character/personality.

But I'm also someone who personally saw the whole Stark relationship/resources as anathemic to Spider-Man, to the point that the MCU trilogy ultimately became about him doing away with all that, but I don't think trying to connect Kamala more to Carol will be as bad even if her powers feel off.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think what matters is how something reflects on the character in question and enhances their character/personality.

But I'm also someone who personally saw the whole Stark relationship/resources as anathemic to Spider-Man, to the point that the MCU trilogy ultimately became about him doing away with all that, but I don't think trying to connect Kamala more to Carol will be as bad even if her powers feel off.
    Agreed on the first para.
    Is Kamala meant to be in The Marvels movie? If so, then yeah it'd make sense to have them visually similar.

Is Kamala meant to be in The Marvels movie? If so, then yeah it'd make sense to have them visually similar.
    I don't think it's absolutely necessary though, but I guess it comes with the territory of trying to associate characters more deeply than they are in the comics.

Blech, what have they done to Kamala?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Blech, what have they done to Kamala?
    They replaced her origin story to distance her from the Inhuman (hopefully for now until they get introduced) good thing with Kamala a script writer has a lot of choice and angles to tell a story. Since Inhumans haven't been introduced in the MCU it looks like they chose to spotlight what is more relatable and they chose her culture, being a high schooler and her superhero obsession.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    They replaced her origin story to distance her from the Inhuman (hopefully for now until they get introduced) good thing with Kamala a script writer has a lot of choice and angles to tell a story. Since Inhumans haven't been introduced in the MCU it looks like they chose to spotlight what is more relatable and they chose her culture, being a high schooler and her superhero obsession.
    As far as her Inhuman origins go, the plot cloud is what they need to introduce. The how and why can come later.

Extraordinary Member

Ms. marvel will stretch,embiggen etc..
    It's in the trailer a few times if you play it in slow motion and pause etc..
    It's just so far only with her cosmic powered bracelets.
    Here is a breakdown from Rockstars and below a reaction to the breakdown.

MS MARVEL TRAILER BREAKDOWN! Easter Eggs & Details You Missed!
    Last edited by mace11; 03-21-2022 at 09:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member

MS MARVEL TRAILER BREAKDOWN - Reaction! | Easter Eggs & Details You Missed | New Rockstars

Astonishing Member

I've have a problem with Marvel and DC throwing young women into life and death struggles. Naomi and Ms. Marvel will see bloody deaths and suffering. That breaks strong adults down as we know from war. Same with Stargirl. But these kids just go off to fight and are expected not to crack under what they have to do and see.

Hasn't worked out well for the male Robins.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I've have a problem with Marvel and DC throwing young women into life and death struggles. Naomi and Ms. Marvel will see bloody deaths and suffering. That breaks strong adults down as we know from war. Same with Stargirl. But these kids just go off to fight and are expected not to crack under what they have to do and see.

Hasn't worked out well for the male Robins.
    Kids of both genders being placed in such violent situations is a centuries-old staple of young adult fiction, from "Tom Sawyer" to "Johnny Tremaine" to "Pippy Longstocking" to "Harry Potter."

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    nahhhhh, it really shouldn't. I don’t trust that any xmen teen tv show should have heavy disneyisms that you cannot see past and this is what this trailer has in full abundance. Yes, X-MEN has featured many younger mutants but it was more of a brutally coming of age stories they got that yes was set in a grown up word. that is something that cannot be erased from the lore, to erase that is to dumb it down.
    Actually, Academy X would work really well as such an adaptation. (Also worth noting, I'm very sure that the Ms. Marvel TV show will have its serious and dramatic plot points as well. The trailer's job is to sell the show overall, and it communicating that this's a positive story doesn't preclude having serious storylines.)

younger mutants- X23, Jubliee, Rogue, hope summers, Magik and the new mutants Cable took in to train to become X-Force.
    Some of the X-23 stuff with Laura and Gabby would actually be right in this wheelhouse, too (e.g. All-New Wolverine, Mariko Tamaki's X-23). The characters are more than just one thing, after all.

None of those characters I mentioned will work well in the ms marvel universe, judging from the trailer any more than Katniss from Hunger Games would. I alluded more to Buffy and harry potter since that is the setting the younger source material of mutants fits. Ironically buffy and harry potter itself took influence from x-men. I will rather have Disney not make any x-men tv show for teens if it is too similar to this ms marvel trailer.
    Yeah, it would be hoped that any X-Men programs had their own identities, but I don't think we should limit the brand to just one facet of itself. X-Men has times to be serious and times to be goofy as all heck. It's more than just one thing.

As for percy Jackson, 20th century Fox studio really messed up that franchise. It was a travesty. fox wanted it to be their harry potter in terms of money, but they mis-managed the source material in the worst ways, the Percy Jackson movies really would have been the American answer to harry potter if fox had taken more time to write a quality screenplay with better production values. however , a ms marvel setting and tone kind of series of percy Jackson would not be a good idea either, it will not even be a great harry potter 2.0 either like Disney now plans for.
    Guess we'll have to see what they have in mind for Percy Jackson (and you can take it to the bank that it'll be its own thing, anyways).

Why I feel ms marvel's story and this trailer works here is because she is still a fairly new character in comics lore. she was created in the 2010s, after Disney had purchased marvel. she is what I call a pure Disney-marvel character unlike another character like Hisako Ichiki (Armor). Disney really has had a strong say on Ms Marvel character appeal and the demo she courts. however the younger mutants from x-men and Percy Jackson just have way too much back story and lore that was already well established long before Disney bought their IPs. so it just should not be the same in terms of tv approach.
    Funny, but seeing how Ms. Marvel has more in common with Spider-Man than anything else, I don't think we can say that she's tailored to one specific thing.

I don't see YA at all. I see a fun kids show. YA is something like Smallville and Buffy The Vampire Slayer. This show reminds me more of That So Raven, perhaps it is because that is one of the few Disney characters from the 2000s that had special powers.
    They're all YA. YA, which is admittedly more of a marketing label than anything else, is fiction that focuses on the teen experience. Coming of age is a common theme. Beyond that, YA can cover all genres, from drama to comedy, to any other blend. So, yeah, Ms. Marvel is factually a YA-style TV show. (You're going to need to learn that there's more than one way to do superhero fiction.)

If she uses her extensive powers, she could really hurt someone. I am certain this show is not going to have any convincing violence. Any little violence at best will be more like power rangers or even less than that and Disney may have to put a warning message at the end of every episode, that kids should not try and mimic what they see on the show, which is what power rangers used to do.
    Seeing how bad your track record with these kinds of things is, I don't think you have anything to be worried about. (Besides, so what if this's isn't brutally violent? Not everything needs to be some grimdark and edgelord-style Snyder-verse.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Actually, Academy X would work really well as such an adaptation. (Also worth noting, I'm very sure that the Ms. Marvel TV show will have its serious and dramatic plot points as well. The trailer's job is to sell the show overall, and it communicating that this's a positive story doesn't preclude having serious storylines.)
    Academy x is very Grant Morrison influenced. I in general will never put any Grant Morrison stuff and Disney plus in the same sentence.

Luara is basically a female wolverine. Laura would not even have been good for a pg 13 movie, reason she only showed up in Logan, Laura has also become a more significant X-Force member than X-Men. Laura is not Disney friendly at all as Ms Marvel. Laura is a character who I even think was just a matter of luck and destiny, since she first appeared in X-Men Evolution. I strongly doubt Laura is a character that would have ben created in the late 2000s as Ms Marvel was.

Guess we'll have to see what they have in mind for Percy Jackson (and you can take it to the bank that it'll be its own thing, anyways).
    Yes I guess we will see for Percy jackson, although all signs may points to something like this, which will be a misunderstanding of the series. percy jackson content while I never thought was never as rich as harry potter, It was still quite impressive in its own right, I don't think it should just be a kids things alone. not in an age of Korba Kai or whatever that series is that became a big thing even my elder siblings watched it

They're all YA. YA, which is admittedly more of a marketing label than anything else, is fiction that focuses on the teen experience. Coming of age is a common theme. Beyond that, YA can cover all genres, from drama to comedy, to any other blend. So, yeah, Ms. Marvel is factually a YA-style TV show. (You're going to need to learn that there's more than one way to do superhero fiction.)
    No they are not all YA. lol CW/WB has always been different. Heck I used to watch lots of WB and ABC family disney show in the early 2000s and I always noticed how a YA show like ABC family/disney like Boys meets world was drastically different from another ya show on WB (Dawson creek). they are not all YA and the pattern has not changed either even in the streaming era. I know Ms Marvel is heck sure not HBO MAX euphoria. Not that it should be either. Although sometimes it is strange seeing Zandaya on that show and then in MCU movies.

Seeing how bad your track record with these kinds of things is, I don't think you have anything to be worried about. (Besides, so what if this's isn't brutally violent? Not everything needs to be some grimdark and edgelord-style Snyder-verse.)

No offence but my track record has never been bad, I trust this is the reason you kindly never gave an example. I do highly doubt Ms Marvel is going to have any CW type of violence judging from the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Have to disagree with that.

d.
    I get disagreement, especially when what we now have, is this rewiring of some marvel ip mythos due to disney's limitations in content but the xmen mythos pretty much speaks for itself, a character like ms marvel had she been a xmen character, chances are she would have become another wolverine sidekick who he mentors like kitty pryde, jubilee, x23 , it was always odd that this young mutants girls bonded with wolverine, one of the darkest and grittiest marvel characters and this because, one of the occurring themes of teenagers in thr x-verse is that , they are forced to grow up fast because of the world they live in. xmen teens wont work in this kind of show. trust me as an xmen reader for almost 3 decades.

IÂ’m not saying all X projects should be looking for this feel, but thereÂ’s certainly room for one X property to be like this.

Anyway, I wonÂ’t talk about X Men anymore as this is a Ms Marvel show.

The trailer has really got me more hyped.
    Yes, I rather not talk about xmen anymore and this is my last post on it, but I do hope that this kind of show is not used on any tv x-verse series as it will come off a lot more obvious of how some marvel ips may be struggling to fit well into the Disney box, perhaps more obvious than Wandavision been a mild version of FX Legion.

For disney plus shows, I feel it will be best for Disney to make shows of the newer characters they have been more involved in since they purchased marvel or characters that got popular from the mcu marvel movies. Perhaps this is the reason the Loki series worked so well as Loki was just continuing what Thor Ragnarok did. However taking a character from the Logan/DOFP/New Mutants movie (Laura/Kitty Pryde/Magik) and than placing them in this kind of show (Ms Marvel) would just be too unrealistic to believe. it will not flow well in context.

Unlikely she will be in the Mrs Marvel movie. There is no reason for her to be either. Additionally that movie is going to have so much to juggle, it is better to avoid some of the mistake of Eternals with their 11 characters that bloated the film.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-17-2022 at 07:13 PM.

BANNED

Sure but she's not embedded in the public consciousness like Batman or Superman. Most will shrug at the powers thing and move on.
    I agree on this comment. my reason why I think this show is fitting for her. additionally her powers have always felt very fantastical to me even when I came across her in some comics, my guess is marvel is going to apply a lot of urban fantasy approach to this series. the power change stuff may only be a big deal for the traditional comic readers, although I dont get why some are comparing her powers to Reed Richards powers.

Mighty Member

Unlikely she will be in the Mrs Marvel movie. There is no reason for her to be either.
    Both Kamala and Monica Rambeau are already confirmed for The Marvels (which is the sequel to Captain Marvel). Hell, we've seen pics of Kamala's actress in her new outfit for that film already.

I liked the trailer. I honestly don’t think the changes to her powers have anything to do with inhuman or not. She could have just had powers and not known why. The answer could have came later. I think they changed it because it’s a weird power to show in live action and is slightly similar to Mr Fantastic. Reed is gonna have a balancing act to do. Cause his power can either look goofy or like body horror. They have to find the perfect middle ground. Ms Marvels is even harder imo then Reeds. I don’t mind her having some quantum band type braclets that give her Green lantern type powers. Looked cool in the trailer and I don’t have a strong affinity for the character to begin with. I liked the thought bubbles and her day dreaming visuals.