Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Kind of weird seeing Matt Lintz in a more goofy role after his "Walking Dead" episodes. Then again there have been a lot of TWD actors jumping onto Marvel stuff-Rooker was the first, but of course there's Danai, Bernthal, Ridloff was in Eternals and still is on the main show..and Ross Marquand (Aaron) was Red Skull in the Infinity saga.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Right off the bat this is probably one of the most stylized Marvel productions in a while, at least for their live-action shows. Like it took the credit sequences of the MCU Spider-Man movies and straight-up made them into stuff that connects directly to the protagonist, her worldview, and her development. It was pretty cool and fit Kamala a lot.

I also think they did a great job adapting her personality, her dynamic with Bruno, and her family to the screen. Their personalities feel on-point and accurate, and it just feels almost straight from the comic.

I was expecting they would establish all the off-screen hero work that Carol has done on Earth in the interim between IW and Endgame to justify why Kamala is such a huge fan of hers...but, no, it was really just the Endgame fight with Thanos (which is apparently the source of a lot of characters suddenly being in-universe popular even if they just appeared for that fight and didn't even do much), which was admittedly pretty impressive even if it means people on Earth generally don't know a lot about Carol. They know more about her from a podcast Scott was on than from Carol herself because she went back into space so quickly. I feel like that lack of direct connection adds to that feeling of escapism that she feels when she looks at Carol.

Although I have to assume Carol at least had some presence because they're aware of and have art of her original costume and her Endgame one...and there was also that montage of Carol's hair.

I thought it was weird that some of the artistic depictions of Carol in this episode had her iconic sash, which has never been a part of her MCU design. I wonder if that's to set it up for Kamala's Ms. Marvel look .

Bruno and Kamala made her cosplay costume together, so just like the comics I imagine her final suit will be just as much of a collaborative effort. Especially with Bruno's science knowhow.

AvengersCon is I guess better than a wild teen party...although AvengersCon feels like something Disney and Marvel Studios would actually come up with in real life, especially since they don't intend SDCC anymore.

Zoe seems a little more ruder and standoffish towards Kamala in this episode than I remember her being in the comic...

There was a distinct lack of Nakia in this episode.

So I noticed a lot of creators on the engraving for Kamala's school...and her school counselor is her creator G Willow Wilson...except as a dude. Which was kind of surreal.

Does Ammi know what the bangle actually does? She's one of the first to figure out her daughter is Ms. Marvel after all. I feel like it's also probably tied to Kamala's grandmother and her being a dreamer...maybe some kind of connection to the Kree?

I love how Carol's Captain Marvel uniform, despite being more conservative and practical than her classic looks, is still seen as indecent in the context of the show because it's still skintight. And admittedly it does hug the butt a little.

Bruno actually lives above the Circle Q? Huh.

Is Bruno going for the hardcore future-son-in-law treatment? It seems like he's already part of the Khan family and that scene of him and Kamal on the rooftop definitely implied his feelings for her from the comics are still intact.

Now, see, if it were me I would've gone along with the parents' plan and then just changed into the Captain Marvel costume at the show, and not break her parents' heart and come off like a brat right then and there. But teenagers, what can you do.

Zoe went with the swimsuit for the cosplay contest because sex sells, and she looked good in it, but it felt weird that it was in the Captain Marvel design and not the actual Ms. Marvel designs it was actually based on. Then again I guess it wouldn't make sense for it to look like her classic looks when she's never worn them in this continuity.

Does Scott get any royalties from that Ant-Man merch? I feel like he would probably love it if he did...

It's kind of ironic that in the comics Kamala's first rescue was a genuine hero moment, while here it's basically saving people from an accident she caused. Also I'm guessing Zoe will be looking out for the Captain Marvel cosplayer who saved her life, not knowing it's Kamala.

So...who are these law enforcement-looking people? Are they supposed to track new superpowered people as part of the Accords?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So...who are these law enforcement-looking people? Are they supposed to track new superpowered people as part of the Accords?
    One of them (played by Stewy from Succession) was in No Way Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    One of them (played by Stewy from Succession) was in No Way Home.
    Yeah, first I was like “hey, it’s Stewie!”, and then “wait, isn’t he already in the MCU?”. Then I finally realised it was the same character.

I really liked the first episode. It's certainly not intentionally aimed at my demographic, but that's kind of what I really like about it. It's a Marvel property that feels specific rather than trying to target mass appeal. I think it was surprisingly stylized in both tone and presentation. That's not say that it won't stray from its mission statement eventually, but it's a very promising start that exploded with charm.

For me, personally, this feels like the weakest D+ MCU TV series so far. But only 1 episode, still early
    Last edited by hyped78; 06-10-2022 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    For me, personally, this feels like the weakest D+ MCU TV series so far. But only 1 episode, still early
    Thinking about it, this may be my favorite after one episode. Wandavision and Moon Knight are a close second and third. Wandavision is by far my favorite at this point, though I found the ending to be a little bit of a letdown. If Ms. Marvel can keep it up, I feel pretty confident that it may become my favorite.

I didn't really care for Loki, What If and Falcon and Winter Soldier overall.

Niffleheim

Strange, I loved Falcon & Winter Soldier and Hawkeye the most and I enjoyed Loki and Moon Knight more than WandaVision. Whoever is editing Ms. Marvel I hope they stick with it because I'm loving how first paced it is.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Thinking about it, this may be my favorite after one episode. Wandavision and Moon Knight are a close second and third. Wandavision is by far my favorite at this point, though I found the ending to be a little bit of a letdown. If Ms. Marvel can keep it up, I feel pretty confident that it may become my favorite.

I didn't really care for Loki, What If and Falcon and Winter Soldier overall.
    I see we have very different tastes haha Loki, Hawkeye and Falcon & WS have been my favorites so far

I completely forgot about Hawkeye. I enjoy Hawkeye for the most part, though when I was watching I was a little frustrated that they didn't just make it a movie. I think of all the Disney+ shows, it felt like it had the least content and would have easily been able to become a 2 hour movie.

Well this was good mainly due to the charm and charisma of Iman Vellani's Kamala Kahn, which for me made up for anything I didn't like about it. She's got star quality, for sure, same way Tom Hiddleston does.

Her powers might be the lamest part of the whole show, to me. Don't care though, as the character is just plain fun.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-10-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Right off the bat this is probably one of the most stylized Marvel productions in a while, at least for their live-action shows. Like it took the credit sequences of the MCU Spider-Man movies and straight-up made them into stuff that connects directly to the protagonist, her worldview, and her development. It was pretty cool and fit Kamala a lot.

I also think they did a great job adapting her personality, her dynamic with Bruno, and her family to the screen. Their personalities feel on-point and accurate, and it just feels almost straight from the comic.

I was expecting they would establish all the off-screen hero work that Carol has done on Earth in the interim between IW and Endgame to justify why Kamala is such a huge fan of hers...but, no, it was really just the Endgame fight with Thanos (which is apparently the source of a lot of characters suddenly being in-universe popular even if they just appeared for that fight and didn't even do much), which was admittedly pretty impressive even if it means people on Earth generally don't know a lot about Carol. They know more about her from a podcast Scott was on than from Carol herself because she went back into space so quickly. I feel like that lack of direct connection adds to that feeling of escapism that she feels when she looks at Carol.

Although I have to assume Carol at least had some presence because they're aware of and have art of her original costume and her Endgame one...and there was also that montage of Carol's hair.

I thought it was weird that some of the artistic depictions of Carol in this episode had her iconic sash, which has never been a part of her MCU design. I wonder if that's to set it up for Kamala's Ms. Marvel look .

Bruno and Kamala made her cosplay costume together, so just like the comics I imagine her final suit will be just as much of a collaborative effort. Especially with Bruno's science knowhow.

AvengersCon is I guess better than a wild teen party...although AvengersCon feels like something Disney and Marvel Studios would actually come up with in real life, especially since they don't intend SDCC anymore.

Zoe seems a little more ruder and standoffish towards Kamala in this episode than I remember her being in the comic...

There was a distinct lack of Nakia in this episode.

So I noticed a lot of creators on the engraving for Kamala's school...and her school counselor is her creator G Willow Wilson...except as a dude. Which was kind of surreal.

Does Ammi know what the bangle actually does? She's one of the first to figure out her daughter is Ms. Marvel after all. I feel like it's also probably tied to Kamala's grandmother and her being a dreamer...maybe some kind of connection to the Kree?

I love how Carol's Captain Marvel uniform, despite being more conservative and practical than her classic looks, is still seen as indecent in the context of the show because it's still skintight. And admittedly it does hug the butt a little.

Bruno actually lives above the Circle Q? Huh.

Is Bruno going for the hardcore future-son-in-law treatment? It seems like he's already part of the Khan family and that scene of him and Kamal on the rooftop definitely implied his feelings for her from the comics are still intact.

Now, see, if it were me I would've gone along with the parents' plan and then just changed into the Captain Marvel costume at the show, and not break her parents' heart and come off like a brat right then and there. But teenagers, what can you do.

Zoe went with the swimsuit for the cosplay contest because sex sells, and she looked good in it, but it felt weird that it was in the Captain Marvel design and not the actual Ms. Marvel designs it was actually based on. Then again I guess it wouldn't make sense for it to look like her classic looks when she's never worn them in this continuity.

Does Scott get any royalties from that Ant-Man merch? I feel like he would probably love it if he did...

It's kind of ironic that in the comics Kamala's first rescue was a genuine hero moment, while here it's basically saving people from an accident she caused. Also I'm guessing Zoe will be looking out for the Captain Marvel cosplayer who saved her life, not knowing it's Kamala.

There was even Carol original Ms Marvel costume in the drawing. I guess Carol is never on Earth much

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I still wonder where the name Captain Marvel came from

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I completely forgot about Hawkeye. I enjoy Hawkeye for the most part, though when I was watching I was a little frustrated that they didn't just make it a movie. I think of all the Disney+ shows, it felt like it had the least content and would have easily been able to become a 2 hour movie.
    It wasn’t a movie simply because the sole reason it exists is so D+ has content people will subscribe and stay subscribed for. Almost no one was asking for a Hawkeye movie. However if it’s a show on a service I already have then great.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I still wonder where the name Captain Marvel came from
    Don’t the other Avengers just call her Captain. Not hard to imagine some media person in-universe slapping Marvel on the end to spice it up.