View Poll Results: What is your opinion on Bendis Justice League run?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it!! Bendis still is the best

1 1.49%
  • It was acceptable but he has better works.

8 11.94%
  • Intrascendent, nobody will remember it in two years

15 22.39%
  • Mediocre, how can this be published?

18 26.87%
  • Keep Bendis away from any DC title, please.

25 37.31%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I was expecting disappointment after I didn't stick with Young Justice and Legion of Superheroes (man, that book had a lot of talking) however the first arc was OK especially with the Justice League Dark add-ons. Got boring at around #63.
    "Cable was right!"

Bad, but it doesn't offend me, like Jason Aaron's Avengers for example.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I was more excited to see David Marquez on a JL book and he was really good. Not a big fan of how they prettied up Black Adam once he was meant to be more heroic or sympathetic though. And am I the only one who was getting a vibe between Supes and Adam? There were several significant glances between them.... I thought they were going to go somewhere with it.

Bendis's Whedonesque dialogue really grated on me though. (he even threw in a "shiny" to make it more apparent) It just kept repeating the same cadence and the jokes did not work. Whedon at least knew to base his humor off character, and each actor's delivery rather than be quippy for the sake of it and without an actor's nuance, all the jokes came across as sounding like the same voice.

I dropped the book once it didn't have Marquez's pretty art to make it palatable.
    Bendis has the weirdest Batman voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I haven't read any of Bendis'' JL, but to be fair, the Royal Flash Gang showed up in like issue 3 of Giffen and Dematteis' Justice League and that turned out pretty well.
    Yes, but Giffen and Dematteis' Justice League used them in one issue, for a very specific motive. Bendis streched their presence for three and the most interesting things happened as background scenes. I think he tried to give them some relevance, but I don't believe he was successful on that.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I was expecting disappointment after I didn't stick with Young Justice and Legion of Superheroes (man, that book had a lot of talking) however the first arc was OK especially with the Justice League Dark add-ons. Got boring at around #63.
    I have found than Bendis books have a lot of talking and a lack of content.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I mean, his Avengers run was garbage, so I had very little faith he’d fare any better on this book.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 03-16-2022 at 01:22 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

If it was anything like his Young Justice, it was far too decompressed for a team book.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I have never been more nonplussed by any JL run. That was a bunch of annoying nothing. From Cry for Justice to Bryan Hitch's unforgivably boring run, Bendis' run has the distinction of being the absolute worst of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    It's crazy to think the writer who single-handedly revitalized the Avengers wrote this run on the Justice League.

You can tell that Bendis is just not good at writing a team that is mythic; but you give him a street level threat it's gangbusters.

This was really disappointing, especially since I know the heights Bendis can reach.
    I've only read Bendis' DC stuff but I don't get all the 'he's great at street level' stuff. Maybe he was good at that stuff once but his Leviathan and Checkmate were based on detectives of the DCU--a very street level thing--and each was brutally bad.

This happens to writers. Robinson's Starman was one of the greatest DC series' of all time but when he came back after a break he couldn't write his way out of a paper bag.

But nobody is a better example of a writer that was once considered great becoming an utterly horrid writer. He can't be gone from DC soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I haven't read any of Bendis'' JL, but to be fair, the Royal Flash Gang showed up in like issue 3 of Giffen and Dematteis' Justice League and that turned out pretty well.
    There are no bad characters, only bad writers.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I picked up the first issue and dropped it immediately.
    I haven't enjoyed a Justice League book in a decade.
    Priest's fill-in issues between the Hitch and Snyder runs, of which there were far too few, were downright excellent. Highly recommended if you haven't read them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I was more excited to see David Marquez on a JL book and he was really good. Not a big fan of how they prettied up Black Adam once he was meant to be more heroic or sympathetic though. And am I the only one who was getting a vibe between Supes and Adam? There were several significant glances between them.... I thought they were going to go somewhere with it.
    In the issue where Superman introduced him as a potential member, there were about 100 times characters said "Black Adam?!?!?!" and about zero times that any other thing happened at all. I generally love character moments, so much more than action or any other thing really, but the character moments in the Bendis run were like nails on a chalkboard.

Batman literally gushed as he thanked Barry Allen for all the times he'd saved his life. WTAF?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That I'd support. Street level is his wheelhouse, and Ollie and the rest of the Arrow family could do with a book of their own.
    Oh my lord, I can't think of anything I'd hate more. His dialogue is the worst thing about him.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Priest's fill-in issues between the Hitch and Snyder runs, of which there were far too few, were downright excellent. Highly recommended if you haven't read them yet.
    I liked that.

Peace

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I've only read Bendis' DC stuff but I don't get all the 'he's great at street level' stuff. Maybe he was good at that stuff once but his Leviathan and Checkmate were based on detectives of the DCU--a very street level thing--and each was brutally bad.

This happens to writers. Robinson's Starman was one of the greatest DC series' of all time but when he came back after a break he couldn't write his way out of a paper bag.

But nobody is a better example of a writer that was once considered great becoming an utterly horrid writer. He can't be gone from DC soon enough.
    Checkout Daredevil & Alias by him, it's spectacular.