View Poll Results: What is your opinion on Bendis Justice League run?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it!! Bendis still is the best

1 1.49%
  • It was acceptable but he has better works.

8 11.94%
  • Intrascendent, nobody will remember it in two years

15 22.39%
  • Mediocre, how can this be published?

18 26.87%
  • Keep Bendis away from any DC title, please.

25 37.31%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I think he has a much better feel for the Marvel characters. I liked his first stories on Superman, but then something happened, I don't know what. I wanted to love all of these because I was a real big fan of everything that he did at Marvel. I don't know if it was him or editorial interference, but something happened.

Mighty Member

Dropped about halfway through the run. Utterly forgettable and a waste of time. I was looking forward to this as well considering that I really enjoyed Bendis on New Avengers, and everything I saw beforehand and the feeling it was going for made me think he was going for a vibe similar to that run.
    It was an incoherent mess however and it seems to have just quickly faded away before it even ended. Part of me thinks that he was cut short from the book, it was hyped as being the most important DC book, but it really had little to no impact outside of the Bendis verse.

Overall, probably the worst book I read in 2021 and a massive disapoinment as Bendis has written some of my favourite comics (I stoll argue that Ultimate Spider-Man is his best work and in my all time top 3 comics).

wait, what? it's over already? didn't he just start?

DC needs to give Bendis Batman already enough is enough. He thrives with mid-level to street-level heroes. He comes up with simple yet creative plots, lined with funny dialogue and character interacitons. That's peak Bendis. Give him Batman he will make some memorable story arcs.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

DC needs to give Bendis Batman already enough is enough. He thrives with mid-level to street-level heroes. He comes up with simple yet creative plots, lined with funny dialogue and character interacitons. That's peak Bendis. Give him Batman he will make some memorable story arcs.
    No. His Leviathan was awful. He had his chance with Detective characters and blew it. In more ways (and chances; see his many, awful takes on Damian) than one.

From Bendis's Action Comics, Young Justice, Naomi, or Justice League my feeling has always been average to just above average though not especially memorable.

He's definitely not one of my top writers by any stretch but I'd never include him as one of my worst either.

The hate for him from some readers feels really lopsided and unfair and maybe stems from him having been a former marvel writer.

I dunno he's not perfect and has writing style has flaws but ive enjoyed parts of his run very much for sure.

Some people just have a malicious streak I think and take their hate way to far.

I was very much a Scott Snyder fan so Bendis was a step back, but hey I still enjoyed reading bunch of Bendis's stuff too.
    Last edited by Menacer; 03-16-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    From Bendis's Action Comics, Young Justice, Naomi, or Justice League my feeling has always been average to just above average though not especially memorable.

He's definitely not one of my top writers by any stretch but I'd never include him as one of my worst either.

The hate for him from some readers feels really lopsided and unfair and maybe stems from him having been a former marvel writer.

I dunno he's not perfect and has writing style has flaws but ive enjoyed parts of his run very much for sure.

Some people just have a malicious streak I think and take their hate way to far.

I was very much a Scott Snyder fan so Bendis was a step back, but hey I still enjoyed reading bunch of Bendis's stuff too.
    I had never read anything of his until he came to DC. I heard both good and bad, but would at least give his work a chance.

I gave it a chance, and boy did I get burned. One of my favorite characters got replaced by an OC that had the same name, but several years older, no personality, and his parents ended up looking worse than Bruce Wayne under him. And the times he used some of my other favorite characters, well, one of them was described as "baby Hitler"...

Yeah. "lopsided and unfair" huh?

And I'm not the only one that gave him a chance from a neutral standing and got burned for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I had never read anything of his until he came to DC. I heard both good and bad, but would at least give his work a chance.

I gave it a chance, and boy did I get burned. One of my favorite characters got replaced by an OC that had the same name, but several years older, no personality, and his parents ended up looking worse than Bruce Wayne under him. And the times he used some of my other favorite characters, well, one of them was described as "baby Hitler"...

Yeah. "lopsided and unfair" huh?

And I'm not the only one that gave him a chance from a neutral standing and got burned for it.
    Nitpicking, even if valid... which your complaints may be doesn't really encompass all his writing...

Much of his materials is totally enjoyable and acceptable.

Many writers may do specific things that annoy...

But to write all his books off cause of some creative differences is what id see as lopsided and unfair

**** morrison is easily one of my favorite writers but I could produce a list of things I think suck about some of his choices.

Bendis is an average to above average writer...

The fact some characters were replaced or mistreated doesnt really justify flushing all his comics down the toilet...

But maybe you digest entertainment differently then me...

I just saw the Batman in theaters last week.

Enjoyed it a lot

But I thought riddler was handle horribly...

Doenst mean I nuke the whole film.

Already? That was quick...did he sign up with DC just to do a couple of underwhelming runs?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

I love Bendis and his recent work has been meh but I hate when he gets on a title because he has a legion of haters that follows him wherever he goes. I don't mind people voicing their opinions but it's annoying when it involves Bendis because it's always the exact same complaints.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    It's crazy to think the writer who single-handedly revitalized the Avengers wrote this run on the Justice League.

You can tell that Bendis is just not good at writing a team that is mythic; but you give him a street level threat it's gangbusters.

This was really disappointing, especially since I know the heights Bendis can reach.
    I would hardly call what Bendis did to the Avengers a revitalization, more like he got to play with HIS characters how he wanted, Cap, Tony and Wolverine were horribly written, but being given carte blanche by Quesada and Alonso, gives you that privilege. I was only intrigued by Osborn and the villains on the side of the law, and the Avengers ‘Siege’ era at the end. I felt that was wrapped up too easily, and this is Bendis we’re talking about..always thought there was more legs to that story and era. The rest…meh…Bendis is another Grant Morrison to me…won’t be getting the next volume of woke replacement JLA either…

His Batman sounds off though.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    I would hardly call what Bendis did to the Avengers a revitalization, more like he got to play with HIS characters how he wanted, Cap, Tony and Wolverine were horribly written, but being given carte blanche by Quesada and Alonso, gives you that privilege. I was only intrigued by Osborn and the villains on the side of the law, and the Avengers ‘Siege’ era at the end. I felt that was wrapped up too easily, and this is Bendis we’re talking about..always thought there was more legs to that story and era. The rest…meh…Bendis is another Grant Morrison to me…won’t be getting the next volume of woke replacement JLA either…
    yikes

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I love Bendis and his recent work has been meh but I hate when he gets on a title because he has a legion of haters that follows him wherever he goes.
    This whole thing is so strange to me.

There's a section of fans that will jump on any mention of Bendis (and select other creators) with vitriol as though they just intentionally ran over their dog. Right in front of them.

They feel the need to just spew hate at every opportunity or mention as though that somehow validates their dislike for the work. Or a work they did up to 20 years ago.

If you're not interested in what they do, just ignore them but I swear these "anti-fans" probably buy Bendis' every work just to be pissed off by it.

It's bizarre behaviour.
    Last edited by exile001; 03-17-2022 at 03:17 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I, for one, agree 100%. Bendis got rid of everything that made The Avengers unique, in favor of a cheap cash-grab. It's a very weak read, with lots of in-continuity plot holes. However, as always seems to be the case with him, he had full editorial support, the pick of top-tier artists and an unprecedented marketing campaign behind him. It sold because Marvel was determined to sell it. The general market was also much more favorable back then. But, as awful as his run was, IMHO, of course, it's not the worst in Avengers history for me. That dubious honor goes to Chuck Austen, that came before Bendis. Thankfully, it was very brief, unlike Bendis', which lasted more than enough to make me quit for the first time in almost 30 years my favorite Marvel book. He had the same effect when he took over my favorite DC book. Bendis may be good writing street-level characters (I believed that once, having briefly enjoyed his USM, which was never a character I tended to follow, but I have my doubts if that is still true), but he's always been awful at writing high-octanage fantasy. He doesn't fit well with larger than life characters, often showing in his writing that he has no respect for them, and that he even finds them silly.
    Alas, I've ranted to much.

Peace
    Oh i couldn't have said this better myself. Bendis's work on a high roller of editorial support from top to bottom. That is why he has survived so many years of his constant bickering of BIG events and stories for MORE than 15 years of marvel. Even after Hickman came along to the main books. He was still big, that is for sure.
    Last edited by Vishop; 03-17-2022 at 03:44 AM.

BANNED

He will suck for whats its worth. His Captain America and Wolverine both street level were terrible written. He had a lucky stroke through to the neck when he wrote Daredevil due to the direction that Quesada gave him. His writing style is so MUCH repetitive that it will make Batman books dumb as hell. Thank god DC gave Batman to Zdarsky .
    Last edited by Vishop; 03-17-2022 at 07:03 AM.