View Poll Results: What is your opinion on Bendis Justice League run?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it!! Bendis still is the best

1 1.49%
  • It was acceptable but he has better works.

8 11.94%
  • Intrascendent, nobody will remember it in two years

15 22.39%
  • Mediocre, how can this be published?

18 26.87%
  • Keep Bendis away from any DC title, please.

25 37.31%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I've only read Bendis' DC stuff but I don't get all the 'he's great at street level' stuff. Maybe he was good at that stuff once but his Leviathan and Checkmate were based on detectives of the DCU--a very street level thing--and each was brutally bad
    Just because they were detectives and mostly non-powered didn't make "Checkmate" street level to me. It was more meant to be an attempt at global espionage rather than "street" so it was out of Bendis's wheelhouse. He was lauded for his Daredevil run, but Leviathan or Checkmate wasn't anything like you'd expect for Daredevil - because it wasn't a "street-level hero" book. I think he also fares poorly at writing teams and finding a way to balance them in the midst of a big story. (imo, he did fine with "The Defenders" because it was almost more about their interactions than the mechanics of the plot)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I forgot Bendis was on Superman. Probably because I'm still going through the Rebirth stories.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I forgot Bendis was on Superman. Probably because I'm still going through the Rebirth stories.
    I recommend you stop there.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This whole thing is so strange to me.

There's a section of fans that will jump on any mention of Bendis (and select other creators) with vitriol as though they just intentionally ran over their dog. Right in front of them.

They feel the need to just spew hate at every opportunity or mention as though that somehow validates their dislike for the work. Or a work they did up to 20 years ago.

If you're not interested in what they do, just ignore them but I swear these "anti-fans" probably buy Bendis' every work just to be pissed off by it.

It's bizarre behaviour.
    Same thing with Tom King.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Age-up of Jon aside, his main Superman title work is better than his Action Comics run

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Age-up of Jon aside, his main Superman title work is better than his Action Comics run
    He writes a surprisingly good Superman. It still has some of the typical Bendis foibles but the House of El arc is, by Bendis standards, probably one of the most decently Cosmic stories he has ever written.

And I say this as someone who believes Bendis really doesn't fit Cosmic.

Astonishing Member

Bendis would be better off writing the Fantastic Four.

I'm one of those fans that actually liked Bendis on Superman, Naomi, Young Justice and Legion. Unfortunately his JL run left me cold overall. Most of the characters felt off. His Checkmate mini was actually worse if you ask me. Hopefully he'll stick to Naomi and Legion for the near future at DC.

There's a section of fans that will jump on any mention of Bendis (and select other creators) with vitriol as though they just intentionally ran over their dog. Right in front of them.

They feel the need to just spew hate at every opportunity or mention as though that somehow validates their dislike for the work. Or a work they did up to 20 years ago.

If you're not interested in what they do, just ignore them but I swear these "anti-fans" probably buy Bendis' every work just to be pissed off by it.

It's bizarre behaviour.
    Exactly, it's annoying and ruins any type of conversation on the title.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    It's crazy to think the writer who single-handedly revitalized the Avengers wrote this run on the Justice League.

You can tell that Bendis is just not good at writing a team that is mythic; but you give him a street level threat it's gangbusters.

This was really disappointing, especially since I know the heights Bendis can reach.
    His bread and butter is Crime Noir. All the other things seem to be over his head...I would love to see him write an Elongated Man crime story or Detective Chimp or something like that.

Mighty Member

It's bizarre behaviour.
    I agree. I don't think Bendis is the worst writer ever, in fact I think he is extremely talented and he has written some amazing books over the years. He is one of the few writers with enough clout and goodwill to essentially create headlines with his name alone.
    But in recent years, I'd say he has certainly not brought his a game which has allowed this small following of haters to effectively buy and complain about everything he does.
    My idea is to just ignore the bad stuff. Unless it effects everything else (aging up Kent is a no-no in my book), I don't see how this could cause many issues.
    It's not like DC aren't putting out other good books that you can buy instead. Find something new that you do like. That's what I did and that's how Swamp Thing and The Nice House on the Lake became some of my favourite books of 2021.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That I'd support. Street level is his wheelhouse, and Ollie and the rest of the Arrow family could do with a book of their own.
    See, I thought this too, then I read Checkmate and came to the conclusion I'd rather Ollie remain a supporting character for a while than give the monthly to Bendis.
    I've tried his Superman, JLA, Young Justice, Checkmate and Legion and have thoroughly disappointed with every single one of them.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Priest's fill-in issues between the Hitch and Snyder runs, of which there were far too few, were downright excellent. Highly recommended if you haven't read them yet.
    I will have to dig those up.
    Thank You for the suggestion!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I will have to dig those up.
    Thank You for the suggestion!
    I hope you enjoy them. For this fan, whose favorite title since childhood has been JLA, they were a wonderful treat betwixt two disappointing runs. I'd read anything by Priest but I just loved his too-brief run here.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Nitpicking, even if valid... which your complaints may be doesn't really encompass all his writing...

Much of his materials is totally enjoyable and acceptable.

Many writers may do specific things that annoy...

But to write all his books off cause of some creative differences is what id see as lopsided and unfair

**** morrison is easily one of my favorite writers but I could produce a list of things I think suck about some of his choices.

Bendis is an average to above average writer...

The fact some characters were replaced or mistreated doesnt really justify flushing all his comics down the toilet...

But maybe you digest entertainment differently then me...

I just saw the Batman in theaters last week.

Enjoyed it a lot

But I thought riddler was handle horribly...

Doenst mean I nuke the whole film.
    Nuke it or don't. Your opinion is not a definitive truth. People can come honestly to love, like, dislike, or hate for a writer or any artist working in any medium without having some sort of malice for enjoying what they enjoy, or the opposite. There are no facts in judging any form of art. Art is subjective and tastes in art are subjective. It is baffling to me how often people fail to understand that.