Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default I love Batman, BUT...

...I stopped reading and following the character a year ago when DC's entire line became centered around him. In fact, I've given up virtually all of DC for that reason with the exception of Superman, and that's only because I've regularly collected and read Superman comics for over 30 years.

Not necessarily looking for a debate or support, mind you. Just found it interesting that after so many decades I'm reading so little of DC versus Marvel, and it stems from overuse of a character that was easily my top-3 favorite since 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    ...I stopped reading and following the character a year ago when DC's entire line became centered around him. In fact, I've given up virtually all of DC for that reason with the exception of Superman, and that's only because I've regularly collected and read Superman comics for over 30 years.

Not necessarily looking for a debate or support, mind you. Just found it interesting that after so many decades I'm reading so little of DC versus Marvel, and it stems from overuse of a character that was easily my top-3 favorite since 1989.
    My brother is the same way and Batman is his favorite character. He states that DC is oversaturated with Batman and Batman associated books.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

"I love Batman but there's too much Batman" just does not make any sense to me. Even if it's quality or financial considerations, just buy stuff that sounds more interesting to you.

DC have absolutely prioritised him at the expense of their entire line of characters more and more over the last decade. It's a real problem for DC that will sooner or later bite them in the ass. But then, DC has a huge number of deeply ingrained problems that they keep doubling/tripling down on which is the reason they're in the state they're in.

This has had an effect on me as a DC fan but it sure as hell isn't my problem as a Batman fan.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Um, ok, what do you want us to tell you? Just because Batman is published in a lot of stories doesn't mean you have to read every single one of them. Like exile001 said just stick to what interests you. It is kind of ironic you've stopped reading Batman because of overexposure when Spider-Man is probably in just as many comics as Batman is.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

If you want less bat fam not only you need to stop buying them, you need to start buying the other non bat fam titles as well, not just Superman (and tell others likeminded people to do the same)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

So...what are you looking for, posting on a Batman board?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I agree DC is doing too much Batman, but I also mostly read Batman and Batman related characters. I don’t really have an issue with the extra Batman content really, I skip the stuff that doesn’t interest me but I do wish they would share the spotlight a little with some other characters (that I may or may not also support). Which is probably part of the problem, why would they take a chance on a character that may sell when they can add a new Robin / alt Batman / whatever book that they’ll be sure will at least be a moderate seller.

Sucks friend. I'm reading more batman and Batfamily focused material these days and I've always been more of a Superman fan.

I'm not quite clear why you have dropped off. It sounds like you are protesting the amount of batman material not because of a fall in quality. I personally don't get it but there are those who like to whip themselves as a way of lamenting the state of the world.

I hope you are enjoying the Superman line. Pkj is solid and Morrison's Superman and the Authority is top tier.

Infinite frontier has been a huge step up. Really enjoying the current direction.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm a DC guy, so I'm always gonna read more DC than Marvel. I love Spider-Man, but my Spidey collection basically ends in the 1990s. Morrison's New X-Men is so far the end of my X-Men collection. And other similar instances with Marvel.

Not even DC's oversaturation of Batman can diminish him much for me.

The thing I do now is I'm way more selective about which Batman stuff I read.

As far as Superman, there's nothing going on his comics that interests me, sadly. And it's very sad, because I love Superman but his continuity and status quo are a mess.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

Batman oversaturation has kind of become a running joke within the industry. The problem is, good creators keep working on Batman titles.
    In the last year, we've had Jock, Ennis, Lemire all writing elseworld books. Now we're going to get a full Zdarsky run.
    It's just a Character whose name can sell and having a strong creative team helps.

Well, capitalism sucks but that's no reason to take it out on DC or Batman. DC is publishing comics that sell and canceling ones that don't. They're not a non-profit.

Retired

Back in the day, in the comic shop, when we debated about what made one publisher better than the other, this kind of spinning off one character into mutliple books was something we deplored. It was okay for Archie, Richie Rich--but for those characters we considered a cut above, it was just not done. And if the publisher started to feature the same characters in too many books, that was the beginning of the end.

Now, I actually love Archie and Richie Rich. However, you didn't need to pick up every book--you could go for a decade without reading any--only to find them still on the spinner rack doing the same old thing that you loved.

It's different with Batman. You can say that a person doesn't need to read all the books. But if I go away for five years and come back--I have no idea who these characters are anymore. There is so much continuity to wade through, it's impossible to pick up a random issue and get into it. There might be some titles that offer one-off stories. But you'd have to do some research to find which those are.

The danger of being a one-trick pony is that, one day, nobody wants to see that trick. So you've put all your eggs in one basket and the basket is worthless. The reason, back in the day, we thought the Superman and the Spider-Man publishers were better was because they didn't just offer mulitple titles featuring those two guys--there was a wide range of titles and genres. A reader could stick with that one publisher and expect to find every variety of comic book art and story. No need to go looking elsewhere when you became bored with the tights and capes. That big umbrella kept the two leading publishers safe.

Now, if you look at the total line of comics, neither publisher is in that danger--there's still enough variety among all that they publish, so you don't either have to read Batman/Spider-Man or go begging. But it is certainly a lot more limited than it used to be. And that's not healthy for the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Back in the day, in the comic shop, when we debated about what made one publisher better than the other, this kind of spinning off one character into mutliple books was something we deplored. It was okay for Archie, Richie Rich--but for those characters we considered a cut above, it was just not done. And if the publisher started to feature the same characters in too many books, that was the beginning of the end.

Now, I actually love Archie and Richie Rich. However, you didn't need to pick up every book--you could go for a decade without reading any--only to find them still on the spinner rack doing the same old thing that you loved.

It's different with Batman. You can say that a person doesn't need to read all the books. But if I go away for five years and come back--I have no idea who these characters are anymore. There is so much continuity to wade through, it's impossible to pick up a random issue and get into it. There might be some titles that offer one-off stories. But you'd have to do some research to find which those are.

The danger of being a one-trick pony is that, one day, nobody wants to see that trick. So you've put all your eggs in one basket and the basket is worthless. The reason, back in the day, we thought the Superman and the Spider-Man publishers were better was because they didn't just offer mulitple titles featuring those two guys--there was a wide range of titles and genres. A reader could stick with that one publisher and expect to find every variety of comic book art and story. No need to go looking elsewhere when you became bored with the tights and capes. That big umbrella kept the two leading publishers safe.

Now, if you look at the total line of comics, neither publisher is in that danger--there's still enough variety among all that they publish, so you don't either have to read Batman/Spider-Man or go begging. But it is certainly a lot more limited than it used to be. And that's not healthy for the industry.
    Is that true in this case though? The complaint is that there is too much Batman. however those stories don't impact the main batman title.

Batman in his main title is still dating Selina, working with Jim. sure he lost Alfred but that's often touched on so a newbie/returning reader can easily catch up. there isn't much change.
    heck Tim Drake is still the sidekick most likely to show up [we are talking 90's status quo]

A lot of these other comics with batman aren't set in the main universe or the present time.

Batfamily titles like Nightwing, UL, robins, batgirls give the reader a quick catch up so new readers can simply jump on.

If a person likes batman they can just keep following the batman title like always since the over saturation of batman has zero impact on that title. The batman ongoing does it's own thing. It's not affected by 90% of the other titles featuring Batman

Example
    looking at the june 2022 solicits

Tec
    Tim drake pride special
    Nightwing
    Robin
    Task Force z
    World's finest
    UL
    Batman Beyond
    White Knight
    Batman mystery Casebook
    batgirls
    Batman fortress
    batman killing Time
    Batman/Catwoman
    Batman the Knight
    Future state Gotham
    I am batman
    The Joker
    Harley
    Secret Files

None of these tie into the the main batman title so a fan who likes batman and is bothered by too much Batman can simply ignore all the above and it wouldn't impact their enjoyment/understanding of the main batman title that they presumably have been following for decades.

Its pretty duplicitous how Superman fans can come on the Batman forum and make threads like this as if DC isn't simply meeting the demand for the character

If DC didn't get a return on investment we'd get less Batman in general but some fans seem to think DC has created this bubble and not the fans. Fans spend their money and buy what they want or they don't spend their money and complain
    Clearly we are getting more of the former than the latter

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Its pretty duplicitous how Superman fans can come on the Batman forum and make threads like this as if DC isn't simply meeting the demand for the character
    Do you think kingaliencracker is a Superman fan? Because, from reading his original post, I don't get that sense. I get the sense that, like me, he was a long time reader of the whole line, but gradually left the comics (or they left him) and the Man of Steel is the last one remaining that he can still get into. As a consequence, he'd be better described as a Marvel fan.

I'm kind of like him. In that, what got me into comics was Batman first and foremost. Then Batman got me into Superman. And then those two got me into reading all the comics from the publisher. Marvel Comics not as much. But there was a time when I was going to the comic shop every week and buying lots from the big two plus other publishers. Then, for a long while, I slowly lost interest in the new comics.

In this last decade, I've kept trying to get back into current Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern--but it just doesn't take. And now because of the pandemic I haven't bought any new comics and have mainly occupied myself with re-reading the thousands of comics, softcovers and hardbacks that I have in my collection.

I still think of myself as a Batman fan, because that's the character I had the most passion for when I started. But that Batman no longer exists in the mainstream comics--you can find him in some reprint collections and out of continuity stories. Which is fine, I had my time with the comics and I accept that there's a new market that loves this Batman more.

However, I think the economic argument that the publisher has to give the reader what they want only goes so far. They need to think ahead and plan in the long term. Oversaturating the market with one franchise might work in the short term, but it might not keep growing the market. I think it's better to use the profits from the best selling books to subsidize comics that don't generate big sales but have the potential to attract new readers for the future.