Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

everyone wants to be batman, they want his car, his super powers, his dress
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    everyone wants to be batman, they want his car, his super powers, his dress
    ESPECIALLY the super-powers.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    ...I stopped reading and following the character a year ago when DC's entire line became centered around him. In fact, I've given up virtually all of DC for that reason with the exception of Superman, and that's only because I've regularly collected and read Superman comics for over 30 years.

Not necessarily looking for a debate or support, mind you. Just found it interesting that after so many decades I'm reading so little of DC versus Marvel, and it stems from overuse of a character that was easily my top-3 favorite since 1989.
    I feel the same way, traditionally I'd always carry one or two Batman titles, but...I'm just not excited about the character that much to keep my interest when DC is doing nothing with my favourite characters, so I have noticed I'm floating over more and more to Marvel, Daredevil has been fantastic!

This says a lot, because all my life I've been a DC guy.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Do you think kingaliencracker is a Superman fan? Because, from reading his original post, I don't get that sense. I get the sense that, like me, he was a long time reader of the whole line, but gradually left the comics (or they left him) and the Man of Steel is the last one remaining that he can still get into. As a consequence, he'd be better described as a Marvel fan.

I'm kind of like him. In that, what got me into comics was Batman first and foremost. Then Batman got me into Superman. And then those two got me into reading all the comics from the publisher. Marvel Comics not as much. But there was a time when I was going to the comic shop every week and buying lots from the big two plus other publishers. Then, for a long while, I slowly lost interest in the new comics.

In this last decade, I've kept trying to get back into current Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern--but it just doesn't take. And now because of the pandemic I haven't bought any new comics and have mainly occupied myself with re-reading the thousands of comics, softcovers and hardbacks that I have in my collection.

I still think of myself as a Batman fan, because that's the character I had the most passion for when I started. But that Batman no longer exists in the mainstream comics--you can find him in some reprint collections and out of continuity stories. Which is fine, I had my time with the comics and I accept that there's a new market that loves this Batman more.

However, I think the economic argument that the publisher has to give the reader what they want only goes so far. They need to think ahead and plan in the long term. Oversaturating the market with one franchise might work in the short term, but it might not keep growing the market. I think it's better to use the profits from the best selling books to subsidize comics that don't generate big sales but have the potential to attract new readers for the future.
    Stop being reasonable. We're trying to fan flames of a culture war between fans of the World's Finest!
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I get the sense that DC's comics business is hanging on by a thread. They are only seem able to sell books featuring Batman. I mean just look at weekly releases - its at least 85% Batman related week after week, its a complete joke. They have ignored their hundreds of other characters year after year - and this is what you get. Theyve groomed their fanbase to buy only Batman. They should just change their name to BC - Batman Comics.

For me personally, I gave up on DC years ago. I will not support a one character company. Peak DC was 2000s era. Johns Flash/JSA, Brubaker Ruckas Gotham Central, Ruckas WW, Piefer's Aquaman, the weekly 52 Event itself, Morrison's Batman run, Azarello's WW. There is nothing even remotely close to those runs in their lineup now or in that past 5+ years. DC is basically dead in the water at this point - week after week of Batman junk - theyre in trouble.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    I get the sense that DC's comics business is hanging on by a thread. They are only seem able to sell books featuring Batman. I mean just look at weekly releases - its at least 85% Batman related week after week, its a complete joke. They have ignored their hundreds of other characters year after year - and this is what you get. Theyve groomed their fanbase to buy only Batman. They should just change their name to BC - Batman Comics.

For me personally, I gave up on DC years ago. I will not support a one character company. Peak DC was 2000s era. Johns Flash/JSA, Brubaker Ruckas Gotham Central, Ruckas WW, Piefer's Aquaman, the weekly 52 Event itself, Morrison's Batman run, Azarello's WW. There is nothing even remotely close to those runs in their lineup now or in that past 5+ years. DC is basically dead in the water at this point - week after week of Batman junk - theyre in trouble.
    Couldn't expressed it better myself, bullseye.

DC pales in comparison to the 2000's. When myself, a long time DC loyalist starts drifting over to Marvel, it's a problem.