Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't know how to say this, but there isn't a next generation of Spider-fans coming to comics. They're getting their Spider-fix from the movies, video games, tv shows, etc.

(I don't expect Marvel to change how they do things.)
    You can do both as well even in comics

Since they brought back 1610 Peter back to life he can be the younger one(along w/ Miles) while 616 Peter can be the adult

I don't know how to say this, but there isn't a next generation of Spider-fans coming to comics. They're getting their Spider-fix from the movies, video games, tv shows, etc.

(I don't expect Marvel to change how they do things.)
    That's how it always started. I first got introduced to Spider-man watching his Amazing Friends and reruns of the 70's live action series. Then I moved into comics a decade later because of the character I loved from the outside media.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Then you are dooming him to stagnation. The first 40 or so years of his life, Peter grew and overcame so much hardship. I'd pay a small fortune to see that again, I don't care who labels me 'selfish' for that. Do something new and don't bore the next generation who are reading Manga and so many other alternatives that grow characters with them.

Manga is overrated. 'growing characters' is overrated. Manga may be popular with some fans... but until they have product that lasts 60-80 years, they don't compare. They're the epitome of 'burn bright and burn out'. Closest American-ish thing we have is Power Rangers that has had about 30 different incarnations... but the 'new' stuff never compares, and every time they start a new toyline or comic series... it's always right back to 'Mighty Morphin'.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That's how it always started. I first got introduced to Spider-man watching his Amazing Friends and reruns of the 70's live action series. Then I moved into comics a decade later because of the character I loved from the outside media.
    Comics cost a lot more now compared to the 1980s.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    You can do both as well even in comics

Since they brought back 1610 Peter back to life he can be the younger one(along w/ Miles) while 616 Peter can be the adult
    I don't think Marvel care much for Ultimate Pete or the Ultimate Universe in general. They tease Miles going back almost as often as they tease Mephisto and never follow up. The last time we saw the Ultimate Universe in Cates' Venom run, it'd been trashed again, and we've been left lingering on that cliffhanger for years.

Where as I watched Spider-Man: The Animated Series, where Peter advanced and grew as a young adult, getting married, and telling his own creator he simply was'nt the same person he'd been writing all these years, and that all characters, even ones of fiction, have to grow up.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 03-17-2022 at 02:25 AM.

Fantastic Member

This is another reductive older comic fan gripe. Kids definitely are buying Spider-Man comics. One two-hour movie every other year or so isn’t going to be enough Spider-Man for them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    This is another reductive older comic fan gripe. Kids definitely are buying Spider-Man comics. One two-hour movie every other year or so isn’t going to be enough Spider-Man for them.
    Cartoons exist.

Fantastic Member

Cartoons exist.
    I see them come into the shop every week. They exist and they’re buying Spider-Man comics. Spidey and his Amazing Friends isn’t going to cut it for them.

Manga is overrated. 'growing characters' is overrated. Manga may be popular with some fans... but until they have product that lasts 60-80 years, they don't compare.
    And yet DC and Marvel frequently get outsold by manga series that have been around for a third of the time most of their properties have existed.

They're the epitome of 'burn bright and burn out'.
    That applies more to the Big Two in many ways, actually.

Closest American-ish thing we have is Power Rangers that has had about 30 different incarnations... but the 'new' stuff never compares, and every time they start a new toyline or comic series... it's always right back to 'Mighty Morphin'.
    The Mighty Morphin brand was getting stale as early as the second season. Going back to it is familiar and safe but no guarantee of success. Just look at the box office for the 2017 movie.

I see them come into the shop every week. They exist and they’re buying Spider-Man comics. Spidey and his Amazing Friends isn’t going to cut it for them.
    Clearly they aren't buying nearly enough.

Marvel won't let him grow. He can never reach his full potential as long as Marvel keeps him as a man child

Extraordinary Member

This should probably go in the controversial opinions thread, but I found the '90s Spider-Man cartoon pretty dull at the time and still do. I vastly preferred the '60s series and Spectacular.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Spidey and his Amazing Friends isn’t going to cut it for them.
    Who said I was talking about Spidey and his Amazing Friends? Several of the classic animated series are on Disney+

And even so, those kids will eventually buy a lot of trades that cover the years where Peter was married, expecting a child, lost his Aunt etc, if you think some of them won't be wondering what happened to that guy, you're a wishful thinker. Not all of them will mindlessly consume and like what Marvel did to him afterwards.

'growing characters' is overrated
    Sounds like you're just saying things to be contrarian now, or you truly don't know or care to know anything about what makes these sort of heroes special.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I vastly preferred the '60s series and Spectacular.
    Spetacular still grew characters, and Wiesman still had plans to cover Peter's life post-graduation had it not been axed.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 03-17-2022 at 09:28 AM.

Have any proof of this?

Fantastic Member

Who said I was talking about Spidey and his Amazing Friends? Several of the classic animated series are on Disney+

And even so, those kids will eventually buy a lot of trades that cover the years where Peter was married, expecting a child, lost his Aunt etc, if you think some of them won't be wondering what happened to that guy, you're a wishful thinker. Not all of them will mindlessly consume and like what Marvel did to him afterwards.
    You need to get out of your bubble--Marvel didn't "do" anything to him. They did something to you. They took something you liked away from you. And I'm sorry that upsets you so much. But the idea that a ten-year old is going to pick up an older Spider-Man comic and conclude that they've been robbed of a married Spider-Man and stopped reading the character is you projecting.

Like I said, if readers cared about Spider-Man being married, Amazing wouldn't continue to be one of Marvel's best-selling comic books. If most current readers don't care, why would new readers care? You are part of a small, but vocal, minority but have convinced yourself otherwise.

Extraordinary Member

Spetacular still grew characters, and Wiesman still had plans to cover Peter's life post-graduation had it not been axed.
    And I think it probably would've done a better job with it than the '90s show. Pete just seemed so...stiff (for lack of a better word) on that show. A lot of the time he just seemed annoyed, too. Not exactly traits I would attribute to Peter Parker at any age.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 03-17-2022 at 11:47 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.