Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Even when he was married or a teacher, he never really had things under control and acted like a paranoid teen looking over his shoulder for misfortune, instead of being confident and being ready for anything like a grown man.
    I have to completely disagree here.

JMS and Paul Jenkins wrote great adult versions of Peter.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This is a thing that consistently annoys me at Marvel, Spidey being treated as the 'kid.'

Retcon nonsense aside, he has been doing this longer than almost everyone except Cap and the FF. That he is still treated, and by lesser writers considers himself, as the inexperienced newbie always pisses me off. Spider-man also has one of the most dangerous and varied rogues galleries in all of comics and he beat most of them when he WAS a kid. Who the heck did Iron Man fight in his first 5 years?

Spider-man is an amazing and decorated hero who has a catalogue of heroic feats that are virtually unmatched. He should be respected and treated as a peer.
    Since it was still deep in the Cold War, mostly Red Scare-type villains from the Soviet Union, as Iron Man was meant to represent good old American capitalism. Later on, he also fought mercenaries and (more overtly) corrupt corporate types that wanted to take down Stark Enterprises/Industries or beat the Iron Man armor.

Besides that, a valid point is raised here by the original poster, insofar as Spider-Man has done and lived through far too much in his published existence to still be depicted as emotionally and mentally 15, forever psychologically locked into the age he realized his beloved father (figure) had died because of his selfish inaction. While a valid argument as well that even most "adults" don't actually have their s*** together as much as they'd like to project that they do, it still doesn't quite excuse Marvel as a creative industry refusing to let Spider-Man meaningfully advance within the context of the comics themselves, adaptations notwithstanding since those aren't usually meant to go on indefinitely.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 03-16-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm constantly amazed by how many Spider-man fans want to change everything about the character they supposedly like.
    This!!!

Honestly, the relatable student/young man trying and failing to deal with life's normal responsibilities while still being a hero... These were the things about Spider-man that appealed to me. This was the core that made Spider-man a household name and the hero of children everywhere.

Spoiler alert... I want him to keep that aspect forever. I would rather I get bored and move on to different entertainment than see him change and the NEXT generation of Spider-fans not get the opportunity to see Spidey in this 'sweet spot'.

With great power comes great responsibility, then how come he still uses his great power at looking at the short term instead of the larger picture in acting how to do his responsibilities? I think this is why Peter doesnt advance in all his runs in the comic because writers dont want him to change into a emotionally and wisely self made adult that has settled into his position as the person he grows into while the superhero side is a symbol of that. Even when he was married or a teacher, he never really had things under control and acted like a paranoid teen looking over his shoulder for misfortune, instead of being confident and being ready for anything like a grown man.
    That was kind of the point of Superior Spider-man, with Doc Ock Spidey finding a "better way" only for it to blow up in his face. Of course Slott told the story so poorly that the message was lost. The take away for most was that edgy Doc Ock Spidey was "kewl."

Peter should be Batman or Ironman level of life seasoned and Cap/Supes level of resolved already. He still hasnt changed from a basic teenage angst mindset.
    Both Batman and Ironman have a tendency to alienate themselves from their peers because they think they know better. In Tony's case he sometimes straight up becomes the villain of the story because of this overconfidence. Plus, people generally can relate better to someone who has doubts about their choices in life then someone who has it all figured out. Doesn't mean these characters are "bad." But Spider-man wouldn't BE Spider-man if he shared that same mindset. (Plus, if you want your heroes like that, then just READ Batman or Captain America, they already exist!)

But I am not opposed to him being rewound to his 70's-80's confidence in his superhero life. The current writers do have a tendency to reset Peter as the new kid amateur or just an incompentent goofball, which was something he had grew past decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    People like Spider-Man for different reasons. I was legit surprised how many people thought that the soap-opera elements were so important.
    It's 50/50, people come for the action, but stay because they become invested in his personal life and supporting cast. Think about it, there are thousands of Superheroes out there that just fight crime all day, and very few of them approach Spidey's level of popularity (and merchandising sales!) What's the character even fighting for if he doesn't have family, friends, etc? It's just finish one mission to get to another mission?!? I personally wouldn't come back onto after month if that was all there was to the series.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

I don’t remember much of Jenkins run, but I disagree about JMS being better.

For better or worse, being a mature adult means having agency but his Peter felt as much jerked around as many of the other Peter Parkers. Maybe even more so.

BANNED

i view those runs as shonen hero plot amor spidey tales imo.
    Last edited by Hoodj; 03-16-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I don’t remember much of Jenkins run, but I disagree about JMS being better.

For better or worse, being a mature adult means having agency but his Peter felt as much jerked around as many of the other Peter Parkers. Maybe even more so.
    In what sense, if you don't mind me asking?

i view those runs as shonen hero plot amor spidey tales imo.
    To be honest, this sounds more like the Disney XD and MCU Spider-Man.

Probably the most Shonen Spider-Man is Bendis', since Bendis was directly inspired by Shonens. And that Spider-Man was in high school.

In what sense, if you don't mind me asking?

To be honest, this sounds more like the Disney XD and MCU Spider-Man.

Probably the most Shonen Spider-Man is Bendis', since Bendis was directly inspired by Shonens. And that Spider-Man was in high school.
    Come to think of it, Spider-Man is very popular in Japan. Maybe those aspects of his character or story that feel similar to an archetypal shonen series resonate with Japanese fans. Not to mention, the My Hero Academia mangaka loves Spider-Man, to the point he took a lot of inspiration from Spider-Man for MHA's primary protagonist, whose powers in recent chapters are even reminiscent of Spider-Man's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Come to think of it, Spider-Man is very popular in Japan. Maybe those aspects of his character or story that feel similar to an archetypal shonen series resonate with Japanese fans. Not to mention, the My Hero Academia mangaka loves Spider-Man, to the point he took a lot of inspiration from Spider-Man for MHA's primary protagonist, whose powers in recent chapters are even reminiscent of Spider-Man's.
    Spider-Man is definitely America's most Shonen hero. Unless we count Power Rangers.

Spider-Man is definitely America's most Shonen hero. Unless we count Power Rangers.
    Considering Power Rangers was and is adapted from a Japanese property in the first place . . . though I do see your point otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Considering Power Rangers was and is adapted from a Japanese property in the first place . . . though I do see your point otherwise.
    And considering that the Japanese Power Rangers show was inspired by the Japanese Spider-man, it all comes full circle.

BANNED

Just like alot of 30 year olds can overcome their horrid life experiences and traumas and get their **** together and excell in life, i mean spidey suffers alot but it doesnt compare to the mutants especially wolverine or most likely bucky barnes and daredevil.
    Sure, but I guess it depends on your definition of excelling. The guy has saved countless lives and endured numerous tragedies without losing himself. I think that's more important and impressive than if he's got some cushy job at Horizon or owns his own company. I don't think having money problems is uncommon among older people and most of us don't have a second job that involves us getting beaten within an inch of our lives at all hours of the night.

And I can't exactly imagine Wolverine or Bucky filling out job applications and living normal lives like Peter either.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Peter and MJ were still married and I don't want him written like some immature clown. But the idea that this guy should have it all together in his late 20s or he's a failure seems kind of harsh, especially considering his circumstances.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Sure, but I guess it depends on your definition of excelling. The guy has saved countless lives and endured numerous tragedies without losing himself.
    Yeah but the point is hes also reverted and regresses to a basic unproductive state of self pitying and self destructiveness which puts his merits into question especially whens hes old enough to get the hint that he cant feel bad and move back in with aunt may when **** gets real, hes old enough to pick himself up back to a intermediate amount of progression that adults can do. He still works at the bugle despite being a teacher and a ceo!!!
    I think that's more important and impressive than if he's got some cushy job at Horizon or owns his own company.
    Peter excells at Science and Problem Solving solutions for immediate contempary use, so i disagree
    I think its more an insult that he doesnt persue what hes good at than loving life trying to get by out of having impulsive guilt driven morals
    I don't think having money problems is uncommon among older people and most of us don't have a second job that involves us getting beaten within an inch of our lives at all hours of the night.
    Peter having Money problems is okay, but its way to repetitive if the character forgets the experience of being a broke loser to begin with. Peter is smart enough to invest and save his money to maintain his spidey equipment and get paid for said equipment. Its odd the marvel irs hasnt really came down on him when getting hired and not paying the taxes from his jobs when he gets income checks. Spidey at this point being a broke and nearly in debt when he is a science genius and has friends who are richer than him to help him is bullcrap.

And I can't exactly imagine Wolverine or Bucky filling out job applications and living normal lives like Peter either.
    Im sure Wolverine had alot of regular jobs over the centuries in a spin off title.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Peter and MJ were still married and I don't want him written like some immature clown. But the idea that this guy should have it all together in his late 20s or he's a failure seems kind of harsh, especially considering his circumstances.
    Wrong hes a failure becauze hes written like a immature clown and incompetant manchild buttmonkey becauzs he cant even grow as a immortalized narrative and his character revolve around being the eternal underdog of Superheroes despite having done miraculous and nearly impoasinle feats plus being smarter and more attractive than most real life people. Its a sham, just like simpsons is a sham after season 10.
    Last edited by Hoodj; 03-16-2022 at 11:09 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Spoiler alert... I want him to keep that aspect forever. I would rather I get bored and move on to different entertainment than see him change and the NEXT generation of Spider-fans not get the opportunity to see Spidey in this 'sweet spot'.
    Then you are dooming him to stagnation. The first 40 or so years of his life, Peter grew and overcame so much hardship. I'd pay a small fortune to see that again, I don't care who labels me 'selfish' for that. Do something new and don't bore the next generation who are reading Manga and so many other alternatives that grow characters with them.

I'm bored with how Spider-Man is now, and I've dropped the book. Spencer was the end for me, the closest Peter's gotten to a happy ending in decades. I'm writing and commissioning my own fan comics now to continue the story and I'm having a blast advancing Peter and doing all the things Marvel are afraid to do. Yes, it may be self-indulgent fanfiction that won't make a bang or a buck, but at least it's a honest reflection of where I feel Peter should be.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 03-17-2022 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This!!!

Honestly, the relatable student/young man trying and failing to deal with life's normal responsibilities while still being a hero... These were the things about Spider-man that appealed to me. This was the core that made Spider-man a household name and the hero of children everywhere.

I don't know how to say this, but there isn't a next generation of Spider-fans coming to comics. They're getting their Spider-fix from the movies, video games, tv shows, etc.

(I don't expect Marvel to change how they do things.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 03-17-2022 at 01:49 AM.