Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Petey's problem is not willing to change into the person he should be

With great power comes great responsibility, then how come he still uses his great power at looking at the short term instead of the larger picture in acting how to do his responsibilities? I think this is why Peter doesnt advance in all his runs in the comic because writers dont want him to change into a emotionally and wisely self made adult that has settled into his position as the person he grows into while the superhero side is a symbol of that. Even when he was married or a teacher, he never really had things under control and acted like a paranoid teen looking over his shoulder for misfortune, instead of being confident and being ready for anything like a grown man.

Peter should be Batman or Ironman level of life seasoned and Cap/Supes level of resolved already. He still hasnt changed from a basic teenage angst mindset.

Extraordinary Member

Same way Reed or Strange could create a paradise but don't

Peter should def. be seasoned and a married adult though

I'm constantly amazed by how many Spider-man fans want to change everything about the character they supposedly like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm constantly amazed by how many Spider-man fans want to change everything about the character they supposedly like.
    People like Spider-Man for different reasons. I was legit surprised how many people thought that the soap-opera elements were so important.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Peter should be Batman or Ironman level of life seasoned and Cap/Supes level of resolved already.
    This is a thing that consistently annoys me at Marvel, Spidey being treated as the 'kid.'

Retcon nonsense aside, he has been doing this longer than almost everyone except Cap and the FF. That he is still treated, and by lesser writers considers himself, as the inexperienced newbie always pisses me off. Spider-man also has one of the most dangerous and varied rogues galleries in all of comics and he beat most of them when he WAS a kid. Who the heck did Iron Man fight in his first 5 years?

Spider-man is an amazing and decorated hero who has a catalogue of heroic feats that are virtually unmatched. He should be respected and treated as a peer.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    People like Spider-Man for different reasons. I was legit surprised how many people thought that the soap-opera elements were so important.
    They are a fundamental ingredient of why the best Spider-Man stories work. Anything else is just mindless.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Peter Parker is the comicbook equivalent of the 30-year old who still wants to act like he's a fresh college graduate still trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. It's a side effect of the Spider-Office interference, the powers that be that are still nostalgic for Pete being the young everyman from their childhood, but save for universe-wide cosmic reboot, you can't put that genie back in the bottle.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Peter Parker is the comicbook equivalent of the 30-year old who still wants to act like he's a fresh college graduate still trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. It's a side effect of the Spider-Office interference, the powers that be that are still nostalgic for Pete being the young everyman from their childhood, but save for universe-wide cosmic reboot, you can't put that genie back in the bottle.
    I do wish Peter would be written with more maturity, but a lot of 30 year olds don't have it together in real life and they haven't been through a fraction of the trauma and stress Peter has. I think the fact that he's still fighting the good fight despite probably having severe PTSD and anxiety is more than anybody would realistically be able to manage. It's not exactly like he's had a normal life.

Fantastic Member

I think you hit the nail on the head, but not the way you probably meant. These characters weren’t designed for this, but they are now meant to last forever. It is editorial’s job to maintain these characters so that it doesn’t take a “universe-wide cosmic reboot” to keep the characters working and useable for generations.
    If you really think that Marvel is going to make irreversible changes to their characters—things that can’t easily be undone by superhero science/magic—you haven’t been paying attention. They weren’t built to grow old with us and it’s selfish to demand that they do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    They weren’t built to grow old with us
    Once upon a time, they were. That's why half of us are still here, because we remember where change and progression mattered in spite of the reset button.

it’s selfish to demand that they do
    Ask the paying moviegoing and videogaming public if they're 'selfish' in their praise for Insomniac and No Way Home advancing Peter Parker.

It's far more selfish to preserve these characters in amber and creatively stifle a decaying industry.

Astonishing Member

This is exactly the issue, well said

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Once upon a time, they were. That's why half of us are still here, because we remember where change and progression mattered in spite of the reset button.

Ask the paying moviegoing and videogaming public if they're 'selfish' in their praise for Insomniac and No Way Home advancing Peter Parker.

It's far more selfish to preserve these characters in amber and creatively stifle a decaying industry.
    Selfish for whom? Marvel is a business, and if they thought they’d make more money “progressing” Peter Parker they definitely would. People on this board have this weird idea that Marvel is just Joe Quesada clutching his copies of the Ross Andru issues and screaming “mine!”
    If Peter Parker the way he is constituted now was not what fans wanted, the book wouldn’t be Marvel’s most consistently best selling book over the past fifteen years. I’m not saying these fans prefer an unmarried, down on his luck Peter Parker—I’m saying that the evidence suggests they aren’t bothered by it.
    And if you really think this is a “decaying industry” maybe it’s time you step away. I’ve been collecting for almost 40 years and this is one of the best periods of comics in my lifetime. Maybe it’s not for you anymore.
    As far as “No Way Home” fans go, let’s revisit that conversation in 50 years if a senior citizen aged Tom Holland is still playing the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always thought the action and the charm of Spiderman himself was what people thought was important, the soap opera stuff came second in peoples minds. I still hold true to that opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I do wish Peter would be written with more maturity, but a lot of 30 year olds don't have it together in real life and they haven't been through a fraction of the trauma and stress Peter has. I think the fact that he's still fighting the good fight despite probably having severe PTSD and anxiety is more than anybody would realistically be able to manage. It's not exactly like he's had a normal life.
    Just like alot of 30 year olds can overcome their horrid life experiences and traumas and get their **** together and excell in life, i mean spidey suffers alot but it doesnt compare to the mutants especially wolverine or most likely bucky barnes and daredevil.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    I always thought the action and the charm of Spiderman himself was what people thought was important, the soap opera stuff came second in peoples minds. I still hold true to that opinion.
    Both are important.