Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impact Comics

Incredible Member

Default Impact Comics

Anyone remember this imprint from DC when they licensed the Archie heroes?

Some of the books I really enjoyed (The Fly, The Comet we’re favorites) and wish DC had the ok to reprint.

Wait wrote the imprint’s final storyline that turned, as I recall, sort of dark.

Who else remembers??

I absolutely loved The Fly…:

That Mike Parobeck art was just beautiful and perfectly complimented the throwback style of stories Len Strazewski was writing.

Retired

I loved these comics. I liked being able to get in on the ground floor of a brand new line of comics. I was sad when it all ended and the final comic, CRUCIBLE--which attempted to bring them into the regular universe--was a horrible turn of events.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

Some of the books I really enjoyed (The Fly, The Comet we’re favorites) and wish DC had the ok to reprint.

Wait wrote the imprint’s final storyline that turned, as I recall, sort of dark.

Who else remembers??
    I loved these comics. the Fly, The Comet and The Shield were my favorites. And, of course, The Crusaders. There are a few issues of the Shield and the Black Hood from that era avaliable at Comixology (at least, there used to be. Not sure if it survived the transition to Amazon), but it so little that barely wets the appetite. Too bad it didn't last that long.

Peace

I knew very little of the Impcat Comics in its moment, but always had curious about them. I read some later, but even if they were not awesome, they had certain charm and ideas than were revisited by other authors and editorials later. The Web vs Batman Inc anyone?
    Interestingly, I found than CRUCIBLE the event book than closed the Impact Universe, had a lot of coincidences with Marvel's Civil War. And considering than Quesada was involved in Crucible and in CIvil War he was EiC in Marvel, I wonder how much that influenced how events went.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I truly enjoyed the !mpact comic books . . . even got the Who's Who issues (and binder!) for the line.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I loved the entire line but yes, the Fly, Comet and Jaguar were my favorites....still are some of my favorite books. I had to downsize my collection at one point and sold the entire lot (with the exception of the Who's Who.) I have since gotten just about all of them back.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

Who else remembers??
    I enjoyed it.
    It actually felt fresh and new at the time.
    My main ones were Comet and Jaguar. I liked the first two issues of Black Hood, also.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I absolutely remember this incarnation of the Archie heroes! I think I bought "The Comet", "Black Hood" and "The Fly." I tried out the others as well, but I couldn't sustain that many new titles at the time. They've tried rebooting those characters several times since, but with very few exceptions they were never any better than the Impact line, imo.

Retired

The two titles I liked best were THE FLY and THE BLACK HOOD. Followed by THE COMET and THE JAGUAR. After that, LEGEND OF THE SHIELD was okay, I guess, but it felt like a lot of past comics that went over the same territory. And I couldn't really get into THE WEB (it was so completely different from the old Web from Archie Comics).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The two titles I liked best were THE FLY and THE BLACK HOOD. Followed by THE COMET and THE JAGUAR. After that, LEGEND OF THE SHIELD was okay, I guess, but it felt like a lot of past comics that went over the same territory. And I couldn't really get into THE WEB (it was so completely different from the old Web from Archie Comics).
    I also never could get into The Web. The others were pretty cool and well developed. As others have mentioned, these characters have had more than a few revamp attempts ever since, but I don't think they've ever had better work done on them in terms of character development.

Peace

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

House Ad for Impact Comics.

ImpactAds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    …I couldn't really get into THE WEB (it was so completely different from the old Web from Archie Comics).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I also never could get into The Web.

Peace
    I wasn’t a fan either, though the idea’s grown on me.
    I didn’t realize at the time how many parallels to DC’s Checkmate there were.

I used to collect these Comics. I also remember seeing A reading Order. Which I had on my old computer that got fried. Now I can't find that Reading order. Any1 know what the Reading order is?
    Last edited by Argonauts; 05-04-2022 at 05:13 AM.
    You are never too Young to hold a Lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    House Ad for Impact Comics.

ImpactAds.jpg
    Sigh...
    12 comics for the price of about two today...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.