Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Default David Xanatos (Gargoyles) vs. John Marcone (Dresden Files)

Scenario Match.

They both are using the full resources at their disposal to:

1) Take over their businesses/territories

2) Ruin one another's reputation

3) Steal one another's favorite couch

Astonishing Member

I'm just imagining Marcone gloating over a professionally and financially ruined Xanatos only to have the scene pan back to reveal a smirking Xanatos kicking back on Marcone's cough.

Mighty Member

David Xanatos was a multibillionaire back in the 90s, so odds are that his financial assets exceed Marcone's by at least one order of magnitude and that he can just buy most of Marcone's operation lock, stock and barrel. If it comes to blows, Xanatos can call upon his gargbots (which outgun anything mundane that Marcone can possibly field) and has Owen for magical shenanigans (it is well within his ability to contrive a way around Oberon's geas by drafting a lesson plan for his son that involves the annihilation of Marcone's powerbase).

Ultimately, Xanatos has more and better resources, with Marcone's one remote chance being the possibility that he can call favours from one of the major powers in the Dresdenverse. And it would have to be one of the major ones, because the bloody Puck operates in the scale of power of the Ladies, if not higher.

What the others said.

Xanatos all day. Any day.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

BANNED

Marcone just plain isn't on the level of Xanatos in any way really.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Marcone just plain isn't on the level of Xanatos in any way really.
    I think his showing in Skin Game puts his last of connections as high or higher than Xanatos', but he'd have to be careful how to use them. Of course, the latter could possibly hire Monoc Security away from him (or at least hire enough that they'll stay out of it.

BANNED

Oh yeah definitely, pound for pound if it comes down to it..Marcone has connections to a lot more muscle then Xanatos. If we assume he can tap into favors from Mab and stuff, but if he has to make do with his own resources..he will be at a disadvantage.

Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

I think Marcone's got the prep skill to take Xanatos. He has better connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    I think Marcone's got the prep skill to take Xanatos. He has better connections.
    If you're going to get into connections the Xanatos has all of Avalon on his side including Oberon.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

"look at it this way, owen......"

those words mean you lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    If you're going to get into connections the Xanatos has all of Avalon on his side including Oberon.
    And as a signatory to the Unseelie Accords, Marcone can get his Fae Courts in on it too, which pack a lot more oomph.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    And as a signatory to the Unseelie Accords, Marcone can get his Fae Courts in on it too, which pack a lot more oomph.
    He can't really do that at all, actually. The Unseelie accords simply set rules for signatories interacting with each other (basically, if you make a deal, you keep it, and you respect neutral territory), they in no way give one such group the right to order around another. If he had something to offer Mab, for example, that she really wanted, he might be able to negotiate with her to help, or, more likely, to make Harry help. Thing is, Marcone generally doesn't really have anything any of the other signatories want, except territory, and he's not giving them any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Thing is, Marcone generally doesn't really have anything any of the other signatories want, except territory, and he's not giving them any of that.
    Marcone provides one other thing they want - stability. If Xanatos managed to unseat him as the Baron of Chicago, no way would he be content to stop there. The entities of the Nevernever like a status quo in place when dealing with mortals, and Xanatos would throw that right out the window.

This is a case where the Courts have a vested interest in keeping Marcone in place.

Does Xanatos still have any access to time shenanigans? I mean, he got himself rich by exploiting a causal paradox (I'll leave this for my past self so that I will get rich and have the resources to leave this for my past self). May have been a one-time thing, but I'd still be curious about that.

Quote Originally Posted by abmccray View Post
    Does Xanatos still have any access to time shenanigans? I mean, he got himself rich by exploiting a causal paradox (I'll leave this for my past self so that I will get rich and have the resources to leave this for my past self). May have been a one-time thing, but I'd still be curious about that.
    I don't know if he has the Phoenix Gate anymore but if not he does have access to time shenanigans via Anubis.