Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Thanks. Except now, despite being exhausted, I'm too pumped to sleep. Drat.

As to your Ranni quest problem, you can't open the chest in Night's Sacred Ground until she sends you to do so. If she's telling you to go away, that begs some questions. Have you already started her quest line by talking with her in her tower before now? If no, did you do Rogier's quest for the Black Knifeprint? If you start Rogier's quest (by seeing the bloodstain in the deep, dark room under Stormveil with the weird face and then talking with him about it), you can't do Ranni's quest until you finish Rogier's first. If you've already gotten the Knifeprint and everything, all you have to do is go back to Rogier, at the Roundtable Hold, and he'll have new dialogue, which will send you back to Ranni and allow you to begin her quest.

If you haven't gotten the Knifeprint and done that bit of stuff, then more work lies ahead (but lower level, so shouldn't be too bad).

If you HAVEN'T started Rogier's quest, then I'm not sure what the problem might be. Radahn being dead shouldn't matter, my buddy started her quest after Fire Giant and still had no trouble finishing it, even though Radahn was dead before he did the Capital.
    who the hell is Rogier!?

okay gotta go explore stormviel

I cannot believe I did most of this quest except killing that stupid thing under Stormviel, sheesh FromSoft give us a hint!

In actually kind of hate how oblique the quest lines are in these. The number of times I’ve killed a red phantom and only found out later that it was such-and-such friendly NPC, who’d gone mad at me because I finished an area boss without having revisited an earlier area…

Extraordinary Member

Just started the other day (with a friend guiding me through voice chat).

I'm currently just running around the world and getting a feel for the game. Haven't even tried going after any bosses or dungeons yet.

It's fun so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    In actually kind of hate how oblique the quest lines are in these. The number of times I’ve killed a red phantom and only found out later that it was such-and-such friendly NPC, who’d gone mad at me because I finished an area boss without having revisited an earlier area…
    exactly! why allow free roam where you can kill whatever if it is important to a quest

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    exactly! why allow free roam where you can kill whatever if it is important to a quest
    Because From is all about free will. Hell, Elden Ring is all about free will, in both a story and meta sense. They want you to put yourself into your character and actually RP the RPG. Your choices matter, stuff is missable and you can screw up by not having all the information, just like in real life. I can see how it could be frustrating, particularly to gamers who tend to be completionists. But it's part of the appeal to me. Every interaction matters if you don't know where they go next, just as in real life.

I suspect it also encourages replaying, which is a big thing in From games as well. Find out what you can do differently the second or third time. Admittedly, that's harder in a game as massive as Elden Ring, as opposed to something like Sekiro or Bloodborne which are much more contained.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Because From is all about free will. Hell, Elden Ring is all about free will, in both a story and meta sense. They want you to put yourself into your character and actually RP the RPG. Your choices matter, stuff is missable and you can screw up by not having all the information, just like in real life. I can see how it could be frustrating, particularly to gamers who tend to be completionists. But it's part of the appeal to me. Every interaction matters if you don't know where they go next, just as in real life.

I suspect it also encourages replaying, which is a big thing in From games as well. Find out what you can do differently the second or third time. Admittedly, that's harder in a game as massive as Elden Ring, as opposed to something like Sekiro or Bloodborne which are much more contained.
    but I want that sweet loot and bonk enemies, I can't if they're hidden in a sub-basement in a secret area only accessible if I talk to a NPC 3 times in a row who happens to be hidden behind a fake wall!

Extraordinary Member

I swear cliff your advice has helped me more then any guide from the big game websites!

I beat him and I was finally able to get my Mimic Tear ash, I am about to go H.A.M. on these fools with my handsome twin!
    Yo no problem and congrats man!

Killed Dungeater because I wanted him out of my Roundtable Hold

Extraordinary Member

So I did an insane grind to get the dungeater puppet, hidden cerulean tear and ghost glovewort bearings. And still can't summon a puppet, this game sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    So I did an insane grind to get the dungeater puppet, hidden cerulean tear and ghost glovewort bearings. And still can't summon a puppet, this game sucks.
    lol, I just merked him in his cell, I got no time for this nonsense

Ultimate Member

I think you will have to put more points into “Mind”.

It’s one of the complaints I had earlier. You can’t run a pure strength or quality build, most great weapons have magic stats tied to them.

It means that leveling up to a reasonable point might take a little more of a grind depending on your build.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think you will have to put more points into “Mind”.

It’s one of the complaints I had earlier. You can’t run a pure strength or quality build, most great weapons have magic stats tied to them.

It means that leveling up to a reasonable point might take a little more of a grind depending on your build.
    I figured it out, the boost from the tear only lasts 15 seconds. I was waiting too long. But still any summons is kinda useless against the Fire giant anyway...
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 04-12-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

lol, I just merked him in his cell, I got no time for this nonsense
    LOOOOL I kept hearing how he was so op. Got him up to plus 10...hopefully he'll be more useful later.

Mighty Member

LOOOOL I kept hearing how he was so op. Got him up to plus 10...hopefully he'll be more useful later.
    I've never used his ashes (did his full NPC quest so I could defile him properly), but his sword, the Sword of Milos is brutal. So if the ash still carries it I can see him putting out good damage AND bleed.

My go-to ash summons: 1) Mimic. I'm my own best friend, as it should be. 2) Black Knife Tiche. Evasive, great dps. A little squishy if she gets caught in aoe's, but she just pours damage out like crazy. 3) Cleanrot Knight Finlay. She's like a midpoint between the tankiness of mimic and the dps of Tiche, but she also applies Rot. 4) Greatshield soldiers. If anything gets behind them or aoe's them they are crazy squishy, but it's five guys with greatshields. They hold a line pretty well and are AMAZING at taking and holding aggro. Whenever I just need to do what I need to without being bothered, these guys are my go to. 5) Anything skelly. They don't actually die unless something hits them on the ground in the reanimation animation, just like the skelly enemies. Which makes them delightfully tough. Just watch out for enemies with holy weapons, cause then they kind of suck.