Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Madame Web

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Spectrum and She-Hulk have entered the chat.
    Deadpool enters the chat.

Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Spectrum and She-Hulk have entered the chat.
    No way they ditch Kamala...

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Deadpool enters the chat.
    Morbius has entered the chat. It's Morbin' Time!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Morbius has entered the chat. It's Morbin' Time!
    Point is Deadpool debuted as a horrible version in a bad movie. Yet the actor who played him in that movie has since made him a box office and critical success since. Sometimes you get the right actor just in the wrong project.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-18-2024 at 09:49 AM.

Point is Deadpool debuted as a horrible version in a bad movie. Yet the actor who played him in that movie has since made him a box office and critical success since. Sometimes you get the right actor just in the wrong project.
    Luckily Deadpool had the luxury of a seven year gap to give people time to forget.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Every creative decision surrounding this movie was baffling. It's not like there isn't solid material from the comics to draw inspiration from for any of the Spider-Women. Julia Carpenter, Jessica Drew and Mattie Franklin all have solid backstories. Each could have lent itself to it's own solo movie.

It's like they didn't believe in the character and at the same time also wanted to put all their eggs in one basket.

The best I can say is that, thank god they called this movie 'Madame Web'. The 'Spider-Woman' and 'Spider-Girl' trademark has not been tainted yet.
    Exactly this.

Astonishing Member

Honestly...I enjoyed it!

Yeah, I totally get why its a bomb, and on some level it blows my mind that this even got made. But I didn't find a lot wrong with the premise, or the script, or even the acting. I mean, its not Oscar-worthy stuff for sure, but its not straight-up terrible either. If this had been a TV show or a TV movie of some sort, it might even have been considered good.

I think the biggest 'problems' with this film are that it simply doesn't meet the expectations the bulk of the audience have from a superhero film these days. Its definitely trying to be a different sort of 'superhero' movie (I'd even go so far as to call it a 'superhero-adjacent' movie)...one for which there isn't really a market right now during a particularly difficult phase for the genre. I do appreciate how the movie itself is conscious of some of its potential limitations and works with them - like the issue of how a woman who can see the future can possibly beat an actual super-villain.

I must admit I did enjoy the whole vibe of this being a kind of Spider-Man universe 'prequel' (I kinda wonder if maybe they should have taken that route in the marketing?) Its a refreshing change to have one of these 'Sony Spider-Man Cinematic Universe' films actually be tied, however tangentially, to Spider-Man himself for once. I also enjoyed the 2003 setting - sure made me nostalgic, not only for my own life back then, but also for the first two Raimi Spider-Man movies and the beginnings of my Spider-Man fandom.

Overall, I think this is leaps and bounds ahead of Morbius, and in general a pretty interesting experiment and addition to the Spider-Man movie 'canon'.

Ultimate Member

Luckily Deadpool had the luxury of a seven year gap to give people time to forget.
    Well, that, and great test footage that someone who totally wasn't Ryan Reynolds leaked.

Even then, they cut the budget and worked against themselves the entire first movie.

Astonishing Member

Elektra called and wants her reboot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Elektra called and wants her reboot.
    Steel called and wants HIS reboot.

Selena Kyle first, please. She wasn't even involved in that one mess.

Ultimate Member

Meteor Man wonders why he was was dragged into this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Selena Kyle first, please. She wasn't even involved in that one mess.
    Her character had already been rebooted/redeemed.

Astonishing Member

Definitely. Way back in the mid 1980s, a young Helen Slater was cast as Supergirl -- and was the best thing about that movie. Unfortunately, we never saw Slater as Supergirl again -- though Superman IV would definitely have beneffited from her presence. Smart people know when an actor or character has appeal beyond a horrible script.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Every creative decision surrounding this movie was baffling. It's not like there isn't solid material from the comics to draw inspiration from for any of the Spider-Women. Julia Carpenter, Jessica Drew and Mattie Franklin all have solid backstories. Each could have lent itself to it's own solo movie.

It's like they didn't believe in the character and at the same time also wanted to put all their eggs in one basket.

The best I can say is that, thank god they called this movie 'Madame Web'. The 'Spider-Woman' and 'Spider-Girl' trademark has not been tainted yet.
    This is what I have been saying for years. Stop trying to make villains anti-heroes and just use heroes. A Spider-Women or Spider-Girl movie is going to get a lot more attention right off the bat than Madame Web or Morbius. There is a huge list of B and C list Spider-man villains they can use as the actual villains that you know Sony/Marvel are probably never going to use in a main Spider-Man movie (unless god willing someone see the potential for a Superior Foes of Spider-Man movie with the like of Beetle, Boomerang, Hydro-Man, Speed Demon, and Shocker as the lovable loser just trying to make a buck)