Default Seinfeld continuation?

Jerry made some news lately by hinting something might be coming during his latest tour.

The 90's sitcom-mostly the idea of not only Jerry but Larry David-featured a group of New Yorkers discuss or get caught up in minatue (Hence the "show about nothing" description it gets) and often get into situations that are the result of them all being kind of self-absorbed (One notorious example: George decides to buy cheap, toxic glue wedding invitations to save money and his fiancee dies licking them) although sometimes they pay for it (George eventually slips on the invitations and is handicapped for a while). This wound up with all of them in Jail in the finale as they made fun of a man getting robbed instead of helping him.

It featured Jerry, a comedian; his best friend George (Based on Larry), who despite being kind of a loser often had the most recurring storylines (Susan, his Yankees job) and supporting cast (His parents were popular recurring characters), Elaine, a writer, and Kramer, his eccentric neighbor. Other recurring characters featured Jerry and George's many romantic interests, Elaine's kind of empty-headed boyfriend Puddy, George's various bosses (Including a parody of Steinbrennar voiced by David) and mailman Newman, Jerry's "nemesis" but one of Kramer's friends.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Intriguing, but it could just be another story on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Which would be fun again, don't get me wrong. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up beyond that until somebody says something more concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Intriguing, but it could just be another story on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Which would be fun again, don't get me wrong. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up beyond that until somebody says something more concrete.
    I don’t really want to see another new Seinfeld episode. I think the appearance on Curb was a fitting way to end it. They showed the group after their stint in prison and they were back in their classic roles. Leave it at that.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don’t really want to see another new Seinfeld episode. I think the appearance on Curb was a fitting way to end it. They showed the group after their stint in prison and they were back in their classic roles. Leave it at that.
    I agree. As far as the final episode being divisive--as VARIETY claims--I don't know about that.

There were only two ways to go--everything stays the same, it's just another episode, or everything changes. Since the whole idea of the show was that the characters don't change--they don't grow, they don't become better people, they just continue to be the flawed characters they are--everything changes would have been the wrong option.

The final episode was simply a clip show and a chance to bring back actors that had made an impression during the series. It's just another episode, except they go to jail at the end. And I'm sure they got out soon and went back to their unchanging ways.

What were people expecting to happen?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I agree. As far as the final episode being divisive--as VARIETY claims--I don't know about that.

There were only two ways to go--everything stays the same, it's just another episode, or everything changes. Since the whole idea of the show was that the characters don't change--they don't grow, they don't become better people, they just continue to be the flawed characters they are--everything changes would have been the wrong option.

The final episode was simply a clip show and a chance to bring back actors that had made an impression during the series. It's just another episode, except they go to jail at the end. And I'm sure they got out soon and went back to their unchanging ways.

What were people expecting to happen?
    There really wasn't anything wrong with the finale.

But, as you mention, it was mainly a clip show. And they had just shown an extra long clip show (The Chronicle) episode just before the finale. So there was a lot of repeat content and it took away from some of "specialness" of the finale.

Yeah, the finale holds up better now on it's own without the clip show directly before (Although often, like the current Comedy Central run, Seinfeld is aired in blocks so it still airs on it; still, less annoying than when originally aired).

The episode where scenes happen in reverse "The Betrayal" and as the episode goes on, we get earlier in time had an incredible final exchange when Jerry first meets Kramer. THAT would have been a great final scene.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The Seinfeld original finale was fine enough for me. That being said, I will of course be open to whatever may happen regarding the jail ending on Curb or via a new Seinfeld episode.

Seinfeld and a number of comedies are just not like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, where I care a lot more about what the ending is.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Retired

Trying to figure out the levels of reality in the SEINFELD/CURB multiverse is like descending into Dante's circles of Hell.

SEINFELD is the creation of the real life Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David. On SEINFELD, Jerry Seinfeld plays a man named Jerry Seinfeld. On that show, the Jerry Seinfeld character and the George Costanza character create a show based on their experiences. The real life Larry David goes on to create a show called CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, where David plays a character named Larry David. Within that show, the Larry David character created a show with a Jerry Seinfeld character which was called SEINFELD. But since that SEINFELD show exists within the fictional world of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, it can't be the same SEINFELD that we watched. While David plays a version of himself, other characters in his life are played by actors and not the real people in his life--while other actors, such as Ted Danson, play characters that have the same names as them in reality. And Jerry Seinfeld, Jason Alexander, Michael Richards and Julia Louis-Dreyfus all play characters with the same names as them on CURB and were all on the CURB version of SEINFELD.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The episode where scenes happen in reverse "The Betrayal" and as the episode goes on, we get earlier in time had an incredible final exchange when Jerry first meets Kramer. THAT would have been a great final scene.
    He even calls him Kessler by accident, which was Kramer's original name in the pilot. (Due to Larry being a bit worried about Kenny Kramer).

Kind of wonder how the show would've gone on if they had kept Lee Garlington on as Claire. Saw her recently in COBRA, which also had Reni Santoni (Poppi) in one of his many police roles .