Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Which Green Lantern title should i read first?

Is Green Lantern New 52, the same as Green Lantern volume 5?

What about the Rebirth series? Is it the same as New 52? ... If not, which one should i read first ... the rebirth series or the new 52 series?

Need some info on these titles as well, like which one should i read first-

The Green Lantern
    Green LanternS -Rebirth
    Green Lantern Corps
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps

Thanks.

New 52 comes before Rebirth. So the correct order is New 52 Green Lantern and GL Corps, then Rebirth Green Lanterns and Hal Jordan and the GL Corps, then The Green Lantern by Morrison, and then the current Green Lantern book.

New 52 isn't a good jumping on point for GL though. It's basically the only book that continued on from pre-Flashpoint with no changes other than a renumbering.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

About the only Green Lantern book I've ever enjoyed was Far Sector so I'd say pick that up instead of any of the titles you mentioned.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Start with Geoff Johns' Green Lantern Rebirth and stop when Johns leaves.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's basically the only book that continued on from pre-Flashpoint with no changes other than a renumbering.
    The Bat-books were also kind of continuing their pre-New 52 story as well, as Morrison was still doing his story, and the main Batman and Detective books were still impacted by it with things like Damian's death. But GL was easily the one with the least amount of change with the New 52 relaunch, as stuff like Snyder's Batman could essentially be read as a fresh starting point.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I’m a big GL fan, so I’ve read them all. My thoughts:

Assuming you haven’t already, I would definitely start with the 2004 Green Lantern: Rebirth mini-series. That, and the ensuing 67 issue volume 4, creates the mythos of basically every GL series that would come later (Morrison’ as run probably being the exception).

2011’s New 52 run is a direct continuation of it. This is where you need to decide how much of a completist you are — the GL franchise was hoppin’ around this time, and DC launched several satellite books with the New 52 (Corps, Red Lanterns, New Guardians). Later, we got a Sinestro book. They all cross over multiple times in Year 2 of the New 52, and again later on (Godhead). You can skip them all and get most of the story, or read them all if you’re anything like me (pathetic fanboy completist). Sinestro’s end pretty much then leads directly into 2016’s Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps.

Honestly, I would do a Google search for an issue-by-issue chronology if you’re really interested. It’s a fun ride, there’s just a lot of books involved (I didn’t even mention 2005’s Green Lantern Corps, or Emerald Warriors, or Ion, or Green Lanterns, or the various one-shots). Geoff Johns’ run is the high point, but I thought each series along the way had it’s moments.

Retired

Like how they put out the BLACK CASEBOOK collected reprints for Grant Morrison's Batman run, they should put out a similar book of reprints for his THE GREEN LANTERN. Because, to fully appreciate some of the content in that run, you have to know the stories he's referencing. I guess a book of every story would be impossible, but some of the more relevant stories would be worth a reprint collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's basically the only book that continued on from pre-Flashpoint with no changes other than a renumbering.
    I stopped reading when The Blackest Night started and started back up again about 5 issues into New 52. I was SO confused as to why Blackest Night and emotional Spectrum was still a thing since they all started anew. Still haven't wrapped my mind around it all...
    I guess time slowed down in the new 52.

All-New Member

Thanks guys.

Start with....(Modern runs)

1) Green Lantern Rebirth
    2) Green Lantern (Geoff Johns run)
    3) Green Lantern (Venditti's run...I enjoyed it)
    4) Green Lantern (Morrison's run if your looking for a deeper more obtuse read)
    5) Green Lantern current run (worth a try if your a John Stewart fan)

Classic

1) Green Lantern/Green Arrow (1970's) (Denny O Neil/Adams/Grell)
    2) JLA (Satellite Years) (1970's/1980's) - Pretty much the classic superfriends/superpowers stuff
    3) Green Lantern Mosaic - John Stewart's first run

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Like how they put out the BLACK CASEBOOK collected reprints for Grant Morrison's Batman run, they should put out a similar book of reprints for his THE GREEN LANTERN. Because, to fully appreciate some of the content in that run, you have to know the stories he's referencing. I guess a book of every story would be impossible, but some of the more relevant stories would be worth a reprint collection.
    They did do this. I got a copy of the TPB a few years ago. It even has commentary from Geoff Johns on each story and how it influenced his stories. I can't remember what it was called though.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    They did do this. I got a copy of the TPB a few years ago. It even has commentary from Geoff Johns on each story and how it influenced his stories. I can't remember what it was called though.
    Interesting, but that sounds like a Geoff Johns reference book, not one for the Grant Morrison THE GREEN LANTERN. In that two volume run, Morrison was pulling from a number of eclectic sources (and not always from Green Lantern comics). As a consequence, I'm hesitant to recommend reading the Morrison book for a newbie, because it might prove too much. Whereas, a companion book would lessen the load.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Interesting, but that sounds like a Geoff Johns reference book, not one for the Grant Morrison THE GREEN LANTERN. In that two volume run, Morrison was pulling from a number of eclectic sources (and not always from Green Lantern comics). As a consequence, I'm hesitant to recommend reading the Morrison book for a newbie, because it might prove too much. Whereas, a companion book would lessen the load.

I'd buy the hell out of a book like that - I'm far from a newbie, but there was a *lot* Morrison was doing that was clearly going over my head, and it was a barrier to falling in love with that book.

And since I'm a contrarian, . . .
    NOTE: These stories are originally from many, many decades before DC decided he was gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The Bat-books were also kind of continuing their pre-New 52 story as well, as Morrison was still doing his story, and the main Batman and Detective books were still impacted by it with things like Damian's death. But GL was easily the one with the least amount of change with the New 52 relaunch, as stuff like Snyder's Batman could essentially be read as a fresh starting point.
    The two main Batman books did get new creative teams though, and Batman Inc was affected - one issue just before New 52 featured Batgirl - but Steph, as well as her predecessor Cass, was erased in the reboot, both of them only coming back a few years later. As for Batman and Robin, wasn't Damian's death AFTER the reboot?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman