Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think that works...though I'd have him start out as a 15 or 16 year old.

I guess maybe he's an intern at the office who has a passion for photography and wants to be out there. So Lois, and later Clark, start taking him along. And of course, getting the first good photos of Superman kickstarts his career pretty early.

One thing we haven't discussed so much here is what the age gap between Jimmy and Lois/Clark should be. Should he be a decade (or more) younger - comparable to the age gap between Bruce and Dick? Should he be just a few years younger? Are Jimmy and Lois/Clark peers or is he more like their protegee and much younger friend? Do they seem him as a 'kid'?

In current continuity, Jimmy being a decade younger helps keep him under 40. But in general I lean towards him being maybe 5 years younger. Old enough to be Superman's 'pal' but young enough to be more of a 'sidekick' and the 'kid' around the office.
    Well, according to most Superman origin stories, Clark starts at the Planet at about 26. So if Jimmy started at the same time between the ages of 14-16, the age gap would be something like 10-12 years. Other origin stories have Clark starting at about 22, so that closes that gap to about 6-8 years. Either way, he'd still be older that Dick who generally doesn't enter Batman's life until the second or third year into his career at anywhere between 12-15 depending on the story.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Well, according to most Superman origin stories, Clark starts at the Planet at about 26. So if Jimmy started at the same time between the ages of 14-16, the age gap would be something like 10-12 years. Other origin stories have Clark starting at about 22, so that closes that gap to about 6-8 years. Either way, he'd still be older that Dick who generally doesn't enter Batman's life until the second or third year into his career at anywhere between 12-15 depending on the story.
    Yeah in the New 52 Clark started at the Planet (or rather the Daily Star) at 22 and was living with Jimmy, who seemed around the same age as him.

The Supergirl show also seemed to show Jimmy as being around Clark's age, maybe a little younger (Mehcad Brookes is actually 7 years older than Tyler Hoechlin IRL but Clark is explicitly stated to look younger than he is in that continuity).

But I agree with you broadly that the Jimmy-Superman age gap shouldn't be as much as the Bruce-Dick age gap. When all is said and done, Jimmy is Clark's fellow employee and peer, while Dick is supposed to be Bruce Wayne's ward.

Retired

Some people seem to have a much more ambiguous idea of Jimmy Olsen than I have, so for them Jimmy can be any character they want him to be. For me Jimmy is one of the better defined characters.

Jimmy Olsen is much younger than Superman/Clark. He wants to be a reporter like Clark, but Perry White shows little faith in him. Olsen is into cross-dressing and might be pansexual, but he likes to think every woman wants to be with him. In truth, he's usually rejected by most women. He claims to love Lucy Lane, but he will chase after anyone who he thinks he has a chance with. And Lucy is not very faithful to him either.

Jimmy wants to make it big, but every time he has a lucky break, he squanders his good fortune. He only manages to hold down a job by sheer determination and is always in danger of ending up on the skids. He has several faults and virtues. He's therefore one of the most well-rounded characters, because he behaves like most human beings really do. Sometimes he lives in a dream world, not facing up to his responsibilities.

If I was going to start the Superman story from the beginning, I would use Jimmy as a child to show that point of view--how kids look up to the Man of Steel. Sure, eventually he gets older and starts work at the Planet. But making him the same age as Clark you lose that story telling advantage that young Olsen provides. He's one way into the story.

I like the idea of having several different characters that provide distinct perspectives on the Man of Tomorrow.

If Jimmy was even 16 when Clark starts at the Daily Planet, I'd think by the time you allow for Jon to have been born and aged 10-ish years, Jimmy should be in his late 20s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    If Jimmy was even 16 when Clark starts at the Daily Planet, I'd think by the time you allow for Jon to have been born and aged 10-ish years, Jimmy should be in his late 20s.
    Yeah. And logically, you need to allow at least 5ish years before Lois and Clark get married and have a kid. More like 10ish years if we're being honest (especially since most Post-COIE continuity has been restored). But let's say for the sake of argument that Jon was born about 5 years after Lois and Clark got married. That still gives us a Jimmy who's in his early thirties.

I don't think Jimmy should ever age as the appeal of the character is that he's innocent. We don't want to see an aging Jimmy. I see him as early 20's at this point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    I don't think Jimmy should ever age as the appeal of the character is that he's innocent. We don't want to see an aging Jimmy. I see him as early 20's at this point.
    In theory, I agree. It just gets difficult to suspend belief when everyone else is aging around him (especially characters who are younger than him at the moment). And yes, I realize I'm reading a superhero comic as I'm typing this. XD
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Retired

I prefer that no one ages--or ages very little. Wasn't Marvel able to do a whole Spider-Girl series without Peter and M. J. getting old in the regular universe?

Supergirl should always be 16. Jimmy should be around 18. Clark and Lois should be 29. Perry should be 58. Krypto is 112 in dog years but he's been rejuvenated by the powers of a lake in a hidden valley--SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN 29 (June 1958)--2nd story, "Jimmy Olsen's Super-Pet" by Binder, Swan and Burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    In theory, I agree. It just gets difficult to suspend belief when everyone else is aging around him (especially characters who are younger than him at the moment). And yes, I realize I'm reading a superhero comic as I'm typing this. XD
    Yes, I agree. I think the problem is aging characters like this doesn't work if the changes alter the original appeal of the series.

Older than Dick, so late 20s.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    Yes, I agree. I think the problem is aging characters like this doesn't work if the changes alter the original appeal of the series.
    Again, agreed. IMHO, this really is a problem that editorial really has no handle on how to solve in any sort of satisfactory manner.

Jimmy Olsen, Kara Zor-El, Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Donna Troy, Garth, and Roy Harper should all be within a year or two of each other in age.

Maybe next reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Jimmy Olsen, Kara Zor-El, Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Donna Troy, Garth, and Roy Harper should all be within a year or two of each other in age.

Maybe next reboot.
    Yeah, That works for me!

I preferred Jimmy being closer in age to Lois and Clark like Morrison had him in the New 52, but otherwise I think Jimmy should be 18 while Clark & Lois should be 23 when they all meet each other. Jimmy as the “kid sidekick” is something that should be changed, he should not be that much younger than Clark.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I preferred Jimmy being closer in age to Lois and Clark like Morrison had him in the New 52, but otherwise I think Jimmy should be 18 while Clark & Lois should be 23 when they all meet each other. Jimmy as the “kid sidekick” is something that should be changed, he should not be that much younger than Clark.
    I think at 18 he can still kind of fit into that slot as long as he's younger than Clark.