Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Riddler: Year One by Paul Dano and Stevan Subic

Riddler: Year One will run for six issues to be released bimonthly (meaning, in this case, every other month) through DC's adult-oriented Black Label imprint which allows for darker, more mature themes and stories. The limited series will be drawn by Stevan Subic, known for his work on Conan and Tarzan stories in the European market. Subic makes his American comics debut with Riddler: Year One.
    Last edited by Hypo; 03-19-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

This Steven Subic guy is good.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

download.jpg

Really interested to see what the creator of that performance has to say about the character.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I kinda hope it's written in a sort of continuity light kinda way, so it might be able to have a broader appeal to fans of mainstream comic Riddler (and Batman). We shall see.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Actors seem to be writing a lot of materials for their characters lately.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I kinda hope it's written in a sort of continuity light kinda way, so it might be able to have a broader appeal to fans of mainstream comic Riddler (and Batman). We shall see.
    Yeah.

Besides, it's not like we've gotten a good Riddler origin story in the comics in ages. There was Zero Year I guess, but it wasn't focused on him, except towards the end.

But I feel this is going to be laser-focused on the continuity of the movie, and probably fill in some gaps on Batman's first two years in the cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    This Steven Subic guy is good.
    So I've heard through the grapevinve.

I love the Riddler, one of the best Batman villains, so I will definitely be buying this.

Extraordinary Member

Spectacular Member

And more interior art...

Batman: The Riddler Is Completely Unhinged in ‘Year One’ First Look

DC revealed a first look at The Riddler: Year One at San Diego Comic-Con. The six-issue series is written by Dano, who played the Riddler in Matt Reeves' The Batman, and illustrated by Stevan Subic. "For many films and comic book fans, Paul Dano's portrayal of The Riddler in Matt Reeves' The Batman was arguably one of the most chilling and terrifying incarnations ever seen in a Batman film," DC said when The Riddler: Year One was announced. "This October, fans will have the opportunity to learn more about The Riddler's origins in Riddler: Year One, a six-issue bimonthly DC Black Label series, written by The Batman actor Paul Dano, with art by acclaimed European illustrator Stevan Subic, making his DC debut. This series explores the background of how accountant Edward Nashton went from a simple Gotham City nobody to becoming Batman's nemesis, setting them on a collision course in the blockbuster feature film."
    Nice...

I loved The Batman.

That's my Batman. And glad this is a tie-in.

Definitely capturing the movie aesthetic.

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Riddler: Year One #1 Preview
    Writer: Paul Dano
    Artist: Stevan Subic

I know it's not the main Riddler and he's not even Edward Nygma, but I wonder if this could be seen as a quintessential Riddler origin.