Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Not sure when issue 3 came out but I finally hit the LCS yesterday.

It's another solid issue of course; I'm well beyond expecting anything less from this creative team.

Cyborg has a nice role in the first scene, though his appearance has nothing to do with Naomi or Dee or earth-N or any of that. He just happens to be coming out of the same portal Naomi is investigating. Which....it's STAR Labs so okay, it makes *some* sense I guess...but him messing with dimensional portals, and *this* portal, while Naomi is on a totally unrelated mission, seemed to stretch credulity. For me, anyway. But I'll happily forgive it as I love Cyborg and am glad Walker got the chance to write him again. Aside from the sheer randomness of Vic's arrival, everything here was spot on excellent.

It's a fun moment and we get a few more clues about Naomi's power and their limits. She takes down a big tentacle Lovecraftian thing with a single, very impressive punch, and we find out she has a healing factor. I think it's the first time we see her get injured, and her armor/costume regenerates itself as well, though healing apparently hurts. Back in her appearance in Action Comics we learned that she's an energy generator and her power source is internal (as opposed to someone like Hal or Barry) but it's mentioned here as well, for those who missed Action.

I'm also noticing that care is still being taken to highlight Naomi's lack of experience even as they give her feats worth bragging about. We got that montage page of her beating up a bunch of villains last issue, some of them pretty impressive. But we've also seen that, as soon as things go beyond punching, she's out of her depth. And I appreciate that; Bendis and Walker are doing a fine job of showing the learning curve here. She's got plenty of raw power, but she's still just a high schooler and her knowledge base is very limited. It works, and it prevents her from being *too* capable and powerful. In fact, the entire mission to find Dee pretty much falls apart, her leads dry up, and she's forced to go home empty handed in defeat.

Hawkgirl meets Naomi's adopted parents and things with Greg go about as well as expected. The family drama definitely isn't over as he and Naomi have another argument but the subplot still feels like it's moving, which is all I'm asking for. Hawkgirl's appearance didn't impress me as much as last issue's; y'know how, when Bendis is writing a character he doesn't really have a handle on he'll resort to standard "Bendis-ism" dialogue? It happens here; Kendra doesn't really sound entirely like herself (though she seemed largely fine last issue) but the dynamics are all still spot-on even if the words aren't. After last issue I said I wanted Bendis to write a Hawkworld series but now I'm wondering if that'd be the best idea. But despite the words not feeling quite in-character I'm still relatively satisfied.

Naomi is apparently trying to go to school like a normie, but without the secret identity. We get to spend some pages with her friends and I'm glad they weren't forgotten in the face of all the superheroics. There's a conversation about whether Naomi will take up a codename, and how she's still weighing the pro's and con's of that, which reminded me of conversations we've had here about it, and I thought it was a nice touch with just enough meta-commentary to be fun.

And then, for the final page twist....Dee returns! Poor bastard, he's in rough shape.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Cyborg has a nice role in the first scene, though his appearance has nothing to do with Naomi or Dee or earth-N or any of that. He just happens to be coming out of the same portal Naomi is investigating. Which....it's STAR Labs so okay, it makes *some* sense I guess...but him messing with dimensional portals, and *this* portal, while Naomi is on a totally unrelated mission, seemed to stretch credulity. For me, anyway. But I'll happily forgive it as I love Cyborg and am glad Walker got the chance to write him again. Aside from the sheer randomness of Vic's arrival, everything here was spot on excellent.
    I'm not sure what Cyborg's origin is now, I've come back to reading comics after a long absence. The last I remember was when the 'one shots' came out about Changeling, Cyborg, Starfire & Raven many years ago. I remember from Cyborg's issue that his father was doing something with dimensional ports, and pulled that blob creature through, resulting in Vic becoming Cyborg. If that history is still active, I would imagine that Vic would be rather adverse to working with portals.

It's a fun moment and we get a few more clues about Naomi's power and their limits. She takes down a big tentacle Lovecraftian thing with a single, very impressive punch, and we find out she has a healing factor. I think it's the first time we see her get injured, and her armor/costume regenerates itself as well, though healing apparently hurts. Back in her appearance in Action Comics we learned that she's an energy generator and her power source is internal (as opposed to someone like Hal or Barry) but it's mentioned here as well, for those who missed Action.
    Naomi is definitely a powerhouse, and someone I would NOT want angry at me. Regarding her healing factor, I can get bored by that aspect/power, as it seems to give them the feeling of being invulnerable, and getting hurt seems not to affect them, when it should (looking at you, Logan). Is this the first time that a 'healing factor' has hurt? I don't recall that happening before, but I could be wrong.

I'm also noticing that care is still being taken to highlight Naomi's lack of experience even as they give her feats worth bragging about. We got that montage page of her beating up a bunch of villains last issue, some of them pretty impressive. But we've also seen that, as soon as things go beyond punching, she's out of her depth. And I appreciate that; Bendis and Walker are doing a fine job of showing the learning curve here. She's got plenty of raw power, but she's still just a high schooler and her knowledge base is very limited. It works, and it prevents her from being *too* capable and powerful. In fact, the entire mission to find Dee pretty much falls apart, her leads dry up, and she's forced to go home empty handed in defeat.
    Totally agree with you. I get that heroes are supposed to look smart and 'super-capable', but one of the issues I have with Batman is that he seems infallible, which annoys me. He's human like the rest of us. Humans make mistakes. The fact that Naomi had her plan fall apart, and not know how to fix it, is just what would happen to someone who is just learning the ropes of being a hero.

Hawkgirl meets Naomi's adopted parents and things with Greg go about as well as expected. The family drama definitely isn't over as he and Naomi have another argument but the subplot still feels like it's moving, which is all I'm asking for. Hawkgirl's appearance didn't impress me as much as last issue's; y'know how, when Bendis is writing a character he doesn't really have a handle on he'll resort to standard "Bendis-ism" dialogue? It happens here; Kendra doesn't really sound entirely like herself (though she seemed largely fine last issue) but the dynamics are all still spot-on even if the words aren't. After last issue I said I wanted Bendis to write a Hawkworld series but now I'm wondering if that'd be the best idea. But despite the words not feeling quite in-character I'm still relatively satisfied.
    I was expecting more of a confrontation between Naomi's dad and Kendra. Given that he has kept a lot from Naomi, and that Kendra is someone who can answer a lot of her questions, I would think he's want to give Kendra a piece of his mind about her telling his daughter information before he felt she was ready for it.

Naomi is apparently trying to go to school like a normie, but without the secret identity. We get to spend some pages with her friends and I'm glad they weren't forgotten in the face of all the superheroics. There's a conversation about whether Naomi will take up a codename, and how she's still weighing the pro's and con's of that, which reminded me of conversations we've had here about it, and I thought it was a nice touch with just enough meta-commentary to be fun.
    I really enjoyed seeing Naomi at school with her friends. As a teen, she needs some peers, and since she needs to finish her education, she would need to be at school. While it's not an exact comparison, I'm reminded of the Wonder Twins from the original run of Super Friends. While they did have secret identities, the book showed Zan & Jayna in school, having lunch and hanging out with friends, and even dating. Yes, she's a super hero now, but she'll have a life outside of that, and I want to see it developed.

this panel was one of my faves with her friends.

And then, for the final page twist....Dee returns! Poor bastard, he's in rough shape.
    He went through the wringer, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I'm not sure what Cyborg's origin is now, I've come back to reading comics after a long absence. The last I remember was when the 'one shots' came out about Changeling, Cyborg, Starfire & Raven many years ago. I remember from Cyborg's issue that his father was doing something with dimensional ports, and pulled that blob creature through, resulting in Vic becoming Cyborg. If that history is still active, I would imagine that Vic would be rather adverse to working with portals.
    Oh yeah! I guess it *was* a call back then. Nice. I thought it was just a random monster from some random adventure of Vic's.

Regarding her healing factor, I can get bored by that aspect/power, as it seems to give them the feeling of being invulnerable
    It can most definitely be used poorly, and with Naomi being as durable as she is the healing factor seems rather.....needless? But it's gonna make her a total monster to take down, and the healing factor doesn't seem nearly as fast as Deadpool or Logan's. It's fast, but not "X-Men" fast, and the pain it causes her seems worse than the injury itself, so maybe that'll limit things. As much as "limits" apply to a multiversal powerhouse who seems equal measure kryptonian and Lantern.

I was expecting more of a confrontation between Naomi's dad and Kendra.
    I get the feeling he really wanted to get in her face a lot more but held back. Naomi isn't likely to be happy if her dad gets in a fight with her team mate, Jen isn't likely to be happy if her husband wrecks the house, and odds are Greg knows he'd get his ass beat if he *did* push Kendra.

this panel was one of my faves with her friends.

Did you catch the "he asked about you" call back to season 1? Sooze says the same thing to Naomi when Superman shows up in town.

He went through the wringer, that's for sure.
    Damn fool is lucky to be alive.

Though, if I remember right, Kendra was one of the Leaguers who got a power boost on earth-N; her nth metal weapons and armor were totally jacked up to new levels. Right? So I guess Dee doesn't have any Nth metal equipment....but I thought all Thanagarian soldiers had such gear?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I get the feeling he really wanted to get in her face a lot more but held back. Naomi isn't likely to be happy if her dad gets in a fight with her team mate, Jen isn't likely to be happy if her husband wrecks the house, and odds are Greg knows he'd get his ass beat if he *did* push Kendra.
    Very true, however, most parents can get very protective of their kids, think of getting between a mother bear and her cubs. It could've been very easy for him to go off, but it's probably fortunate for him that he didn't. I don't think Kendra would've hesitated to respond in kind.

Did you catch the "he asked about you" call back to season 1? Sooze says the same thing to Naomi when Superman shows up in town.
    I must admit, I missed this. Good catch!!!

Damn fool is lucky to be alive.

Though, if I remember right, Kendra was one of the Leaguers who got a power boost on earth-N; her nth metal weapons and armor were totally jacked up to new levels. Right? So I guess Dee doesn't have any Nth metal equipment....but I thought all Thanagarian soldiers had such gear?

Good question. Perhaps they don't. I haven't read up on the Hawks lately, is it possible the gear is given out according to status or rank? Would Kendra outrank Dee in some way?

I'm not sure if Kendra is even an official part of the Thanagarian military now.

If I remember right, she got wiped out in the New52, then brought back in Metal with the "reincarnated" origin. She's Thanagarian, but hasn't live on Thanagar since her original life.

Maybe the Hawkman solo from a year or two back answers this? I never got around to reading it, though I wanted to keep up with the trades.

I suppose Kendra's gear could be loaded up with Nth metal while Dee's isn't. He's covert special forces, maybe Thanagar doesn't outfit those guys with a resource like Nth metal? Hard to deny your involvement in clandestine operations if the guy is covered in the metal that everyone knows can only be found on Thanagar.

But I'm just guessing. Hopefully we'll get an answer about this next issue.

~ Black Panther.

Hit the LCS last week, finally! And issue 4 was waiting for me.

Man I gotta head over there more often, I feel like issue 5 might be out already and I'm just now talking about #4! I'd apologize for being so late on things but only like, two/three of us are in this conversation and y'all don't have to wait on me anyway.

So everything with Dee is pretty much exactly what we thought. He went to earth-N to kick some Zumbado ass so Naomi didn't have to, and things go as badly as expected. Naomi gets Dee to the Watchtower, and while it's touch-and-go for a minute, Dee's stabilized and survives his injuries.

It's a real quick issue, and we had already assumed most of what it told us. But a few things stick out in my mind.

Dee tells Naomi that "You were born with a blessing *and* a curse. I am the one that can remove the curse. It may be why the orbs of Thanagar brought us together."

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but Dee's line here jumped out at me. One might assume that Dee is just talking about how Zumbado and those like him are a bunch of douchebag monsters who ruined her homearth, and they're the "curse" to be dealt with. But Dee is Thanagarian. They (used to) worship the Seven Devils. When a Thangarian starts talking about curses, I tend to pay close attention. So my question is how literal was Dee being? We still know nothing of the power source earth-N's superhumans tap into. Could there be a "curse" in that power source? Again, odds are Dee was just talking about the bad guys....but then again, he might not be.

We also get introduced to a new (human, non-super) character, some dude in Naomi's home town who's yelling and screaming about all the chaos that's happened since her powers activated and is making vague threats about "the city counsel having a vote" on things. I'm guessing he's setting up a conflict for season 3 where the town debates whether they want a superhuman living among them. I'm actually looking forward to that, if it happens. Be nice to get a plot on the local level, yknow? Plus, the real-world parallels are pretty obvious. Bendis was never a light-touch on his social commentary but Walker has reigned in Bendis' worst impulses so far, and I'm intrigued to see how things might play out if the town decides Naomi is an unwanted element, yknow?

I suppose the "big" revelation here is that all the evil, crazy bastards on earth-N are working together. Dee says they destroyed the world fighting over who would rule it, but with everything wrecked and nothing to fight over they're now working together. Brutus, from the Justice League arc, is there, as well as a few others. I haven't had a chance to check season 1, but I think at least one of them has been seen before; the chick with the weird scorpion tail whip things?

And Akira is alive! That woman cheats death like I drink coffee, and she sends a message (telepathic?) to Naomi, warning her that Zumbado and his crew are on their way. Dee f*cked up, and going to earth-N lit a trail Zumbado were able to follow back to the main DCU. The entire League is, conveniently, occupied elsewhere, leaving Naomi to deal with six villains, each of them presumably on her power level, by herself.

Last couple issues should be pretty wild. I'm hoping we get some clarification on Naomi's powerset, their limits, and what precisely she can do because it's still awfully vague. But more than anything I'm hoping for some answers on the deeper questions; what *are* these powers? Exactly? Why *does* earth-N have such a weird effect on the powers of other heroes? I like a good mystery as much as the next guy, but dragging things out too long just ruins the fun and makes things frustrating. Two seasons is long enough, I want answers.

Oh! As always, Campbell is a treasure and his art makes every single panel a thing of beauty. Can't say anything about an issue without mentioning the art! Best looking comic on the shelf.

~ Black Panther.

Hit the LCS last week, finally! And issue 4 was waiting for me.

Man I gotta head over there more often, I feel like issue 5 might be out already and I'm just now talking about #4! I'd apologize for being so late on things but only like, two/three of us are in this conversation and y'all don't have to wait on me anyway.
    I know what you mean.....I always seem to get caught up with something in my life, and I miss when I new issue comes out.

So everything with Dee is pretty much exactly what we thought. He went to earth-N to kick some Zumbado ass so Naomi didn't have to, and things go as badly as expected. Naomi gets Dee to the Watchtower, and while it's touch-and-go for a minute, Dee's stabilized and survives his injuries.
    I thought for sure they were gonna have him die on Naomi. One less person she can get answers from. I'm glad it didn't happen.

It's a real quick issue, and we had already assumed most of what it told us. But a few things stick out in my mind.

Dee tells Naomi that "You were born with a blessing *and* a curse. I am the one that can remove the curse. It may be why the orbs of Thanagar brought us together."

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but Dee's line here jumped out at me. One might assume that Dee is just talking about how Zumbado and those like him are a bunch of douchebag monsters who ruined her homearth, and they're the "curse" to be dealt with. But Dee is Thanagarian. They (used to) worship the Seven Devils. When a Thangarian starts talking about curses, I tend to pay close attention. So my question is how literal was Dee being? We still know nothing of the power source earth-N's superhumans tap into. Could there be a "curse" in that power source? Again, odds are Dee was just talking about the bad guys....but then again, he might not be.
    It is a pretty cryptic statement. I hope we get some clarity on it before the end of the season, and that we won't have to wait for season 3. Not that I'd mind a season three.......I just don't wanna wait for the answer.

We also get introduced to a new (human, non-super) character, some dude in Naomi's home town who's yelling and screaming about all the chaos that's happened since her powers activated and is making vague threats about "the city counsel having a vote" on things. I'm guessing he's setting up a conflict for season 3 where the town debates whether they want a superhuman living among them. I'm actually looking forward to that, if it happens. Be nice to get a plot on the local level, yknow? Plus, the real-world parallels are pretty obvious. Bendis was never a light-touch on his social commentary but Walker has reigned in Bendis' worst impulses so far, and I'm intrigued to see how things might play out if the town decides Naomi is an unwanted element, yknow?
    I gotta say, I liked the way Naomi's dad was advising her during that whole scene. "Please don't engage." Good advice...but part of me wanted him to punch the guy in the face. The expression on his face in the last panel we can see him, just makes it look like he's plotting against Naomi in some way.

I suppose the "big" revelation here is that all the evil, crazy bastards on earth-N are working together. Dee says they destroyed the world fighting over who would rule it, but with everything wrecked and nothing to fight over they're now working together. Brutus, from the Justice League arc, is there, as well as a few others. I haven't had a chance to check season 1, but I think at least one of them has been seen before; the chick with the weird scorpion tail whip things?
    I don't recall the woman with the tail whips. I will say, I laughed out loud at the one who appeared female, holding the fan. I've seen some many drag queens use one that my first thought was Naomi is going to have to face up against an evil drag queen. LOL

And Akira is alive! That woman cheats death like I drink coffee, and she sends a message (telepathic?) to Naomi, warning her that Zumbado and his crew are on their way. Dee f*cked up, and going to earth-N lit a trail Zumbado were able to follow back to the main DCU. The entire League is, conveniently, occupied elsewhere, leaving Naomi to deal with six villains, each of them presumably on her power level, by herself.

Last couple issues should be pretty wild. I'm hoping we get some clarification on Naomi's powerset, their limits, and what precisely she can do because it's still awfully vague. But more than anything I'm hoping for some answers on the deeper questions; what *are* these powers? Exactly? Why *does* earth-N have such a weird effect on the powers of other heroes? I like a good mystery as much as the next guy, but dragging things out too long just ruins the fun and makes things frustrating. Two seasons is long enough, I want answers.
    Yes, they have been pretty vague about what the limits of her powers are, and the fact that she doesn't really know either is something that needs to be addressed. Rushing into battles not knowing what your strengths or weaknesses are could lead to disaster.

As for the League's disappearance, I'm assuming this is taking place before Dark Crisis, as Naomi was in the initial Dark Crisis comic, so she knows that the JLA is presumed dead.

Oh! As always, Campbell is a treasure and his art makes every single panel a thing of beauty. Can't say anything about an issue without mentioning the art! Best looking comic on the shelf.
    The art has been top notch in this book, no complaints at all whatsoever on that end. I do wonder what the deal is with Naomi being barefoot all the time. I'm assuming it has something to do with her powers, but not sure what.

So, I just read issue #5.

The art is on point, as usual. I find that does not disappoint in any of the issues.

There was a lot of action going on, with Naomi holding her own. She is quite the powerhouse.

Flashbacks of interactions with the JLA give us some more clarity to her powers / abilities. Cyborg seems to think she's able to redirect energy used against her back to her opponent, what she described as a "double punch". Also Dr. Fate and Zatanna seem to believe she has second sight, which would give her the ability to predict what her opponents are going to do.

While the battle is going on, she inadvertently shouts down to her dad, and that results in her attacker turning his attention towards attacking him, but Naomi stops him before any damage can be inflicted.

Only one issue left, I really want to see how they tie this up.

Read the issue last night. And I think I got pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Campbell's art. Nothing more need be said.

I'm really digging the vibe in the conversations happening and Naomi's dynamic with Zumbado and Brutus (love N acting all big and tough, like she's seen the League do, and Zumbado just kinda laughing at it), the tension feels legit, and the battle itself was immensely badass while also feeling....real? A lot of elements in the fight felt (to me) like the "natural disaster" genre, not "superhero" (largely due to Campbell's layouts, I think?) and that always hits closer to home.

And, okay, the flashback moments.....using those to introduce a random new thing via "she's had this knowledge for ages, it's just nobody spoke of it ever!" is a writing contrivance I have always hated, on every level. And this is no exception. However I deeply appreciate the fact that we're finally getting Naomi's powerset nailed down. Still tons of questions, but I feel like we've doubled what we knew about her limits and abilities and power levels.

Which is....a lot. She's probably got the beefiest powerset I've seen since Nate Gray or Grant "Damage" Emerson. We always knew Naomi was a heavy hitter, but I think she's actually beyond Kryptonian levels. And when you consider her timeline, thanks to a whole ton of League intervention, she's learning real gods damn fast.

Answers. That's what I wanted, and I got some. So I'm pretty gods damned satisfied. And I always felt like the finale of season 1 was light on action. Getting to see earth-N was amazing, as was the confrontation with Zumbado, but it wasn't the big crazy anime-inspired throwdown I would have liked to see (it wouldn't have made sense then, but I still wanted to see it). This time I'm getting that big fight and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm even happier knowing that next issue is gonna be even bigger.

Wish we could have gotten more on Akira and the voice Naomi keeps hearing....but hopefully we'll get more on that side of things next issue.

As an aside, both Nate Gray and Damage were products of the 90's, with insane amounts of raw power and insanely complicated origin stories......and I see a lot of all that in Naomi. I also see a lot of the Shonen (right word?) protagonist in her too.

Sad I'm not seeing more chatter about the book around here. Season 1 was pretty popular but nobody's really talking about the current mini, other than us. Wonder what the sales look like?

~ Black Panther.

To be honest, Bendis’ work on Young Justice and LOSH kind of killed my interest in his other DCU work, even if I did enjoy Naomi Season 1. I will probably check Season 2 eventually. One day lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    To be honest, Bendis’ work on Young Justice and LOSH kind of killed my interest in his other DCU work, even if I did enjoy Naomi Season 1. I will probably check Season 2 eventually. One day lol.
    Surprisly, his work on Naomi was far better, maybe because is an original character and he can invent whatever he wants. But I feel than at least two issues were filler. And the flashbacks were scenes than perfectly he could had put in the previous issues as anticipation. Instead it felt like justification for quick Deus ex machina: the powers of Naomi are so are so undefined than she could do whatever Bendis want because he will set a double page to explain how is going to work. I suppose in a trade will be seen better, but as indepoendent issues, they don't have a good pace.

Honestly I don't know how Bendis is going to close this series, there is only one issue left, but I think it is going to close in a very abruptly way. And I doubt than Bendis will give some answer.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Honestly I don't know how Bendis is going to close this series, there is only one issue left, but I think it is going to close in a very abruptly way. And I doubt than Bendis will give some answer.
    I definitely don't expect many, if any, answers to the deeper questions. I figure this last issue is gonna be heavy on action and we'll get a few more details about what Naomi can and can't do, some kind of cliffhanger that'll open up some doors without actually revealing much, and it'll all end on a tease for season 3, which I hope to hell we get.

I expect Vic and Kendra to show up and help fight off the earth-N villains. Those guys seem to have plotted behind Zumbado's back and were quick to abandon him so maybe Zumbado and/or Brutus help Naomi out as a big FU to their former partners. League will almost certainly show up, probably too late to do much, and if the McDuffies don't get a chance to throw down and protect their daughter I'll be surprised as hell. Greg might be wounded but dude isn't out of the fight yet (he's got a ship, jet packs, laser guns, etc, who needs an arm?) and Jen (who might be the scarier one of them) isn't gonna sit down and wait; chick took a baseball bat to a Thanagarian spec-ops soldier just because he was talking to Naomi, she's gonna go apeshit on Zumbado's crew.

I think we're gonna get a setup for next season where Naomi is tempted to return to her homearth and learn about where she came from. Akira will show up again and make the offer or something. With the villains taken down the place should be "safe" for such a trip, while at home that random dude from a few issues ago will stir up trouble and try to get the town to kick Naomi out. Does she leave everyone and everything she knows and loves to return to the place of her birth, or is "home" where her adopted parents are? Seems like a classic "adopted orphan" kind of story right? Seems very Bendis-y. I think if this season is the one where Naomi digs deeper into her abilities, next season will explore her homearth.

Oh, and I think this book is better than most of Bendis' stuff because Walker is co-writing. I suspect Walker is reining in a lot of Bendis' worst instincts and helping refine the story and prevent it from getting lost and derailed, as so many of Bendis' books have. I'm sure Naomi being an original character helps, there's no established character or mythos for Bendis to go against. But just from the "craft" side of things, I think Walker deserves a lot of credit for how smooth and well done this book is.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-28-2022 at 06:18 PM.

~ Black Panther.

Okay, so it's done!

Some of what I expected happened; the League arrived, but too late to do much other than look stoic. Naomi was offered a chance to go to her homearth. We found out where and how that voice has been coming to her.

A number of things happened I didn't expect. Full spoilers, because almost nobody's reading this anyway

Killing Zumbado feels....not great. It's done in such a insignificant way, it's not satisfying. Z had the makings of a solid rogue, and more to the point was Naomi's entire rogues gallery. Dude claims to have killed her birth mom, there's a whole history there we barely know anything about, and he's killed by some random villain we just met yesterday? Hard to build up a rogues gallery that way. Feels like Bendis and Walker finishing things up, too, which is sad.

Naomi's power upgrade is one of those things I adore in concept, but feels like it's approaching plot device levels where the character becomes unwieldly to write. I did not see this coming though, I thought we were done with the powerset conversation. But I dig the "multiversal paragon" archetype. I feel like Naomi could easily carve out a niche for herself here, if DC were interested. And we have new questions, of course, concerning Naomi's mother and the nature of this power.

That new costume is all kinds of majestic badass. I don't even have words, Campbell is just an insane beast. DCU Online needs to add that to the style tab.

Ending was exactly what we all thought. Which I think is good, actually. It's a good place to put her, with a lot of potential and a lot of directions it could go.

I get the feeling Bendis and Walker aren't expecting to do a third season; things were tied up a little too neatly. But they definitely left the door open, and I hold out some small hope that we do get a season 3. Unlikely perhaps, but maybe not impossible. First season did much better in trade than in floppy, maybe this season will too. I don't think season 1 actually sold well in floppy either, it was remarkable because sales increased over time, not for how much it was selling. Maybe DC knows something we don't that'll justify a third mini.

I think Naomi's future rides on whatever happens after Dark Crisis. I think most of us are assuming there'll be a new team book or two launching after the Event right? If Naomi is included in one of those, especially if Bendis isn't writing it (and he doesn't seem to be writing anything right now?), then she might manage to stick around. And I do think she has the potential to have a lasting presence in DC, if she's given the right talent and a solid push.

~ Black Panther.

If Naomi returns ( a big IF) I think than Walker would write her alone if he still is in DC at the time. But if not, I think her better chances are appearing in a team book in a secondary roles. But I don't know if someone else woul want to use her again in any rrelevant role. At difference of Marvel, DC can let pass a lot of time before use concepts left for creatives not working on the company again, unless the concept is passed through several authors for a continued time.

I think Naomi's future rides on whatever happens after Dark Crisis. I think most of us are assuming there'll be a new team book or two launching after the Event right? If Naomi is included in one of those, especially if Bendis isn't writing it (and he doesn't seem to be writing anything right now?), then she might manage to stick around. And I do think she has the potential to have a lasting presence in DC, if she's given the right talent and a solid push.
    Well, Dark Crisis ends in december so is to expect than in January there would be the wave of new titles and number ones to take place. Not a lot but the classic concepts will return. However considering the actual status of DC I don't believe than Naomi stand a chance as a solo and DC will bet on more stablished concepts.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-11-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Incredible Member

Great art as ever. Mediocre writing. It almost felt like Bendis’s heart wasn’t really in it, wonder if he was told to end it in the way they did because DC wanted shot of the character. I really don’t expect to see her again any time soon, I doubt she’ll even be mentioned.