Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Great art as ever. Mediocre writing. It almost felt like Bendis’s heart wasn’t really in it, wonder if he was told to end it in the way they did because DC wanted shot of the character. I really don’t expect to see her again any time soon, I doubt she’ll even be mentioned.
    He definitely wasn't. Williamson included her in the first issue of Dark Crisis, so he must've been unaware of how her book ended... and that she therefore wouldn't even have been there when the rest of the League disappeared. If he didn't know, then either editorial didn't know either (which doesn't make sense), or they didn't have plans to dispose of her.

Also, don't forget she had a TV show. Did they already know it had been axed when the comic's finale was written?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Well, Dark Crisis ends in december so is to expect than in January there would be the wave of new titles and number ones to take place. Not a lot but the classic concepts will return. However considering the actual status of DC I don't believe than Naomi stand a chance as a solo and DC will bet on more stablished concepts.
    I'd be very surprised at a solo announcement. I don't think that's in the cards at all. Not even a slim chance. And if it did somehow happen, I doubt Bendis, Walker, or Campbell would be involved. Maybe Walker, but Bendis seems to be on his way out and Campbell couldn't keep up with a monthly schedule anyway. But even just getting Walker to do a monthly with different people seems too good to be true.

A team membership seems more plausible, but still unlikely to me. If DC does indeed relaunch some team books after Dark Crisis, I agree they'll mostly stick to established groups like the JSA and Titans, and if the current JSA is anything to go by those books will feature a remixed roster of familiar, expected faces.

Naomi's best hope, I think, is either with Young Justice or the Future Staters. She has a little history with YJ, and that team has a mini right now. Wouldn't be wildly surprising if a new ongoing followed, and it's possible, though probably unlikely, that Naomi might find a home there.

I actually think the Future Staters are her best hope. I'll be surprised if they don't get some kind of team book after the Event, and if that happens I expect at least a couple additions who weren't part of the Future State Justice League to be included, and Naomi would be a perfect fit there.

But I think if DC had plans on pushing Naomi, she'd be included in Dark Crisis more. She's shown up a tiny, tiny bit, and that doesn't say "here's someone to keep your eyes on!" yknow? I suppose she might've been largely off limits because of Bendis' plans for season 2 but that indicates a level of influence I'm not sure Bendis actually has anymore.

This was probably the last we'll see of Naomi. But we said the same thing about Sideways when his book ended, and he's showing up in Dark Crisis a little bit, so.....I guess anything is possible.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He definitely wasn't. Williamson included her in the first issue of Dark Crisis, so he must've been unaware of how her book ended... and that she therefore wouldn't even have been there when the rest of the League disappeared. If he didn't know, then either editorial didn't know either (which doesn't make sense), or they didn't have plans to dispose of her.

Also, don't forget she had a TV show. Did they already know it had been axed when the comic's finale was written?
    I doubt it was known about the cancellation of the TV show. However the appearances in Dark Crisis seems to show how the lack of comunication of Bendis with the team reveals a departure from the publisher.
    Also, consider than the only times when she has been used, outside Bendis penned books has been in Justice League appearances (not that many also). So if she is not in the team anymore or in any team with a continous appearance, the possibilities of her permanence in the DC landscape are dim.

EDIT: On a second thought, Naomi has commited the worst crime in modern entertaiment bussiness, a failed cancelled show. Just remember what happened to the inhumans.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-14-2022 at 11:22 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I'm holding out hope that we will see Naomi in the future. However, with the way that DC focuses on Bat-books and the die-hards, I have doubts as well.

Yes, it's odd now, isn't it? She leaves to her home world, and the JLA, and members of YJ are there, and then the JLA and YJ are gone in Dark Crisis, but Naomi is there, and at one point even said "I should've been there", meaning with the JLA.

I'm hoping that we at least see her in a recurring role somewhere, where she joins up with YJ to help, and then goes back to her home world.

You know, the whole situation can be resolved by simple saying than Death of the Justice League and Dark Crisis happened between pages 18 and 19. It is a strech I think but it could work.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

It definitely can't be during the event, due to the "renting your room to Hawkgirl" line. They wouldn't make that joke (and it certainly couldn't be the truth) if she and the rest of the JL are already believed "dead". Just how long is Dark Crisis set on? Is it all one day?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

There's a delay of weeks between everyone hearing the League is dead and the events of the story, I think. First issue opens with the big funeral and then has some kind of "weeks later" caption in the next scene where Jon and Flash are fighting Kobra. I think?

Naomi season 2 takes place mere weeks after season 1, so it's technically set a little in the past already. Naomi leaves for her homearth before Dark Crisis. For one thing, Clark is still on earth, he hasn't even left for Warworld yet, much less returned in time to "die" with the rest of the League. So we can just say that after weeks/months of being away, Naomi returned for a visit only to find out the League had just died. She does say in her own title that it's "not goodbye" and there's no real reason to think she'd be gone for years and years, not when Akira reportedly got multiversal travel perfected.

Naomi says in one of the Crisis issues that she should've been there with the League. So she still considers herself a Leaguer, which supports the theory of her not planning on being gone too long at a given stretch. Otherwise she'd tenure her resignation or whatever right? And season 2 happening before the Crisis helps explain why she, a rookie, would have the audacity to think she could have made a difference in a battle that killed the entire League. After last issue's power upgrade and then a little time training in the extreme environment of her toxic, half-dead homearth? Yeah, she really might have made a difference.

And she may have been in her old costume instead of her new one because the new suit is a "Dragon Ball Super Sayian" or "Carol Danvers Binary" kind of boost. At her "default" power levels she's got the original costume. When she powers up, she gets the extra armor, headgear, and cape. Standing around the Hall of Justice lamenting the League's deaths, there's no reason to be all geared up.

Those are my in-universe justifications anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Naomi saw Martian Manhunter disappear - she was definitely shown to be present on the day they "died", she didn't simply find out when Adam revealed the news later.

That must have been in the "League dies" issue of JL? Dropped that book some months before that issue so if N was there, I didn't know.

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That must have been in the "League dies" issue of JL? Dropped that book some months before that issue so if N was there, I didn't know.
    She appeared in JL #75, when Black Adam returned to tell everyone that the JL were dead.

She was also in Dark Crisis #1, on the page showing the replies from various heroes that Jon Kent received when he approached them about forming a new JLA.

Last edited by CellarDweller; 08-14-2022 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    She appeared in JL #75, when Black Adam returned to tell everyone that the JL were dead.

She was also in Dark Crisis #1, on the page showing the replies from various heroes that Jon Kent received when he approached them about forming a new JLA.

Billy Batson is also there, at her side, but if I remember correctly, he is suppously prisioner in the rock of Eternity in that moment.

Dark Crisis has so many continuity inconsistencies with other books (the whole Cybeast thing, Shazam being there, dead GLs alive and well etc etc) that it’s probably best not to dwell on things too much.
    Editors certainly didn’t.

Extraordinary Member

Why is Naomi so powerful ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Billy Batson is also there, at her side, but if I remember correctly, he is suppously prisioner in the rock of Eternity in that moment.
    Yeah, it looks like neither Naomi nor Billy should've been there. Dark Crisis is supposed to be after Billy went to the Rock of Eternity, and before he sent Hoppy to give Mary her powers back - since they did swap out Mary for Kara on the grounds that she was depowered (panel 7 on that page must've been rewritten - on the group shot at the end of the issue they just altered the already-drawn art). It sounds like Williamson and the artist didn't know how Teen Titans Academy, it's Shazam spin-off, and Naomi season 2 were going to end before they wrote and drew this issue?

Yeah, it looks like neither Naomi nor Billy should've been there. Dark Crisis is supposed to be after Billy went to the Rock of Eternity, and before he sent Hoppy to give Mary her powers back - since they did swap out Mary for Kara on the grounds that she was depowered (panel 7 on that page must've been rewritten - on the group shot at the end of the issue they just altered the already-drawn art). It sounds like Williamson and the artist didn't know how Teen Titans Academy, it's Shazam spin-off, and Naomi season 2 were going to end before they wrote and drew this issue?
    Yes. That seems the best answer. It must be noted than the books where Naomi appears, all penned by Williamson, she does with her old looks, not with the new one where she finally got shoes, seen in the last issue. Seems indeed than Williamson had no idea how that series was going to end. I wonder if Bendis took the time to tell him that. Or to the editor at least.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-15-2022 at 12:52 PM.