Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Also if it did well they would get a ongoing. Nice way to try titles out.

Transformers was one that turned into a ongoing. The last issue even called back to this!

http://<a href="https://i.imgur.com/...LTMTXR.jpg</a>
    http://<a href="https://i.imgur.com/...rpX28J.jpg</a>
    I know, right?! Being a four-issue limited series & ending on a cliffhanger, I was worried I'd never see the outcome.
    Glad it became an ongoing, though. But, waiting for issue #5 was agonizing (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-22-2022 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Yeah issue 4 cliffhanger was pretty nasty.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next issue cover was great however. Got kids attention.

[IMG][/IMG]

Have to say the interior art of those Transformers series, mini-series always turned me off. The never seemed as cool as most of the cover art.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Yeah, Herb Trimpe was never a flashy artist. He was, however, a good storyteller -- and when teamed with a great inker (as when Jon Severin inked his pencils on Incredible Hulk) the result was amazing.

This was such a timely thread, I’ve been wanting to read more stuff from the 80s on Marvel Unlimited and couldn’t think of where to start. Got some new options now.

More series---

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Probably the best I've read (haven't read Frank Miller's Elektra yet)

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Definitely, Punisher '86 should be considered best (IMHO):

I thought this was the worst I've read, but then again I disliked most of Mike Baron's Punisher run.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Probably the best I've read.
    I loved it, right until the last installment. I mean, what was that? We went from a great Roger Stern (Avengers writer) read, with exciting Mark Silvestri (soon to be X-Men artist) art, featuring not only the Avengers and the X-Men, but also the Soviet Super-Soldiers, to a story by Tom DeFalco and Keith Pollard (both good in their own right, but not what I had paid for), that had little to do with what we'd been reading up to then. Really, I found it soooo disconcerting, that it almost killed the series for me (a series that, up til then, I was finding almost perfect). After that, X-Men and FF shone brighter than ever in comparrison.

Peace

From what was said magneto was going to turn bad at the end then marvel changed their minds and the last issue got rewrote.

As covered by the good sir Brian Cronin in an old Comic Book Legends Revealed, had Stern gotten to wrap up this series his way, Magneto would have exposed his true colors in full and been an official baddie again by the end. I imagine him unifying the various hero teams against him as he tried to brainwash the entire world into loving mutants, but that's pure speculation on my part, and we'll never know precisely how Stern would've concluded things, because it was Tom DeFalco who actually got to write the closing issue.

DeFalco came in to replace Stern after disagreements between Stern and editorial over the ending of the story. So I don't know how much of what happens in The Avengers vs. the X-Men #4 is actually DeFalco's creation and how much was mandated from above, but he's the writer listed, so he gets all the credit and blame.
    https://www.cbr.com/1987-and-all-tha...-avengers-1-4/

From what was said magneto was going to turn bad at the end then marvel changed their minds and the last issue got rewrote.

https://www.cbr.com/1987-and-all-tha...-avengers-1-4/
    Thanks. I remember reading that CBLR. Didn't wash the bad taste out of my mouth, though. But Stern left the Avengers shortly after that. I know the ostensive reason was the editorial push to bring back Cap as leader, making Captain Marvel sort of fail in her job, but I wonder if this didn't contribute to it.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 03-26-2022 at 07:12 AM.

Monica had to not only be removed but had to fail badly, cap has to be leader and droid has to turn evil.

Also later reed and sue were forced out of the avengers after only 5 issues and in ff crystal was forced out of the book making them rewrite the annual she left and the rest of secret wars 3. In fact she is still on the cover box in the next 4 or 5 issues after she left!

What on earth was going on with marvel at that time?

Anyways a few more---

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

The comic that alex ross said gave him ideas for kingdom come. (and even did a cover for the trade!)

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]