Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Monica had to not only be removed but had to fail badly, cap has to be leader and droid has to turn evil.

Also later reed and sue were forced out of the avengers after only 5 issues and in ff crystal was forced out of the book making them rewrite the annual she left and the rest of secret wars 3. In fact she is still on the cover box in the next 4 or 5 issues after she left!

What on earth was going on with marvel at that time?

Anyways a few more---

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    My guess? Marvel got a taste of what was later to come with Dan Didio. Inmates got to run the asylum, but first had to deal with all the stories and character development that happened after their preferred era's status quo but before they got to the level where they were in charge, and chose the path of sabotaging and destroying whatever they either didn't like or viewed as getting in the way of telling the stories they wanted with the status quo they wanted. Of course, this is an extreme oversimplification, but I've been reading stuff from the big two for nearly 40 years now (yikes!), and "Destroying whatever I have to or flat out don't like to get the status quo I want to start off with" seems to be more creators' preference than not.

[IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    I think the Shadowline series Powerline, Doctor Zero and St. George were ongoing titles that were cancelled. They were wrapped up in a limited series called Critical Mass.

Dang. It was listed as a limited series in the list i have. Sorry about that.

Monica had to not only be removed but had to fail badly, cap has to be leader and droid has to turn evil.

Also later reed and sue were forced out of the avengers after only 5 issues and in ff crystal was forced out of the book making them rewrite the annual she left and the rest of secret wars 3. In fact she is still on the cover box in the next 4 or 5 issues after she left!

What on earth was going on with marvel at that time?
    MHO? Shooter had kind of recently been fired (if I'm not mistaken, Tom DeFalco, reported to having sensibilities very similar to Stan Lee and Roy Thomas, had taken over from him) and, without his strong iron hand on the reins, the Marvel editorial was in a bit of a state of flux, with editors reassessing the true limits of what they did. That was the result. Say what you will about Shooter, and I know people have a LOT to say about him, but he ran a tight ship.

Peace

Longshot.

Final answer.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Astonishing Member

Don't have an image for it, but Cloak & Dagger my Mantlo and Leonardi was good -- better than all those VS books (which I found mind-numbing).

https://www.marvel.com/comics/series...nd_dagger_1983

Astonishing Member

From what was said magneto was going to turn bad at the end then marvel changed their minds and the last issue got rewrote.

https://www.cbr.com/1987-and-all-tha...-avengers-1-4/
    Thanks for the info. I assumed the reason why issue 4 didn't fit in was because of the change in writer.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I just want to mention this series again. It was just so good and is sort of the inspiration for the latter Onslaught story with Xavier being the bad guy.

This one was actually pretty good.

I think we can all agree across the board that this mess wins the title for worse mini of the 80's hands down. Bad writing and mediocre art. The only decent thing about this entire event is it had a few good crossover issues like New Mutants, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Alpha Flight, Rom, and others. It was definitely a case of the tie in issues being way superior to the event itself.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 03-28-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think we can all agree across the board that this mess wins the title for worse mini of the 80's hands down. Bad writing and mediocre art. The only decent thing about this entire event is it had a few good crossover issues like New Mutants, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Alpha Flight, Rom, and others. It was definitely a case of the tie in issues being way superior to the event itself.

Thanks, I was trying to figure out which mini I considered the worst in the 80's and was having a hard time remembering one that could have been "the worst", but this series sure is a strong contender. It only gets worse when you get the first issue with an exciting John Byrne art, and open the book to find a dull combination of Al Milgrom and Steve Leihola.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 03-28-2022 at 12:38 PM.

All-New Member Tagak the Leopard Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This one was actually pretty good.

A great mini.

Budianskys last full art job for some reason.

I thought he crushed it on this mag.

Extraordinary Member

Magik is by far my favorite.

was the Crystar concept revisited after that initial mini series?