Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Nice, Batman Begins 2005! That's a useful cheat sheet for reading/collecting the whole run. I think I'll save that for when I do a re-read.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I wish somebody would have questioned Morrison on this part:
    Morrison: "Otherwise, my instincts were driving me towards Grayson and Damian as the new Batman and Robin. As I expected, the freshness of a younger Dynamic Duo felt like a new start anyway and was a sales and audience success. I wish I could have maintained that status quo for five years at least."
    Would Morrison have written all five years of this status quo? I think so, but I'm curious if Morrison could confirm.

And what kinds of stories? More "66 Batman meets Twin Peaks"?

My god, do I wish DC would have taken Grant up on this five year run. Or offered him a compromise (like Bruce comes back as Batman at #16 like happened in real life, but Grant's five years of B&R happen in a gap period in between #[insert issue #] & #16 or in some alternate timeline like King's Batman/Catwoman).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-21-2022 at 10:21 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yup, this interview was waaayy too brief.

Incredible Member

The GOAT superhero comic run.

Yeah his run is on another level. I'm not a bat family guy at all so hooking me just shows how good his run is. It's just...chef kiss!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    The GOAT superhero comic run.
    There are very few I'd rate higher - Morrison's Doom Patrol among them. Maybe his New X-Men? But those are all so close together I wouldn't quibble about exact placement.

Astonishing Member

Morrison's work on Batman and Superman is so seminal, it's s shame that - as I understand it - their Wonder Woman Earth One work wasn't so successful. Would have been nice to hit the trifecta!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Morrison's work on Batman and Superman is so seminal, it's s shame that - as I understand it - their Wonder Woman Earth One work wasn't so successful. Would have been nice to hit the trifecta!
    Thanks for reminding me. I read the first volume, but not the 2nd and 3rd. Which I guess says something right there. I enjoyed it, but it didn't dazzle me and I honestly remember very little about it. Which I can rarely say about a Morrison work. My library has all 3, so I'll catch up with it at some point, but if I had to buy them, I probably wouldn't bother.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Thanks for reminding me. I read the first volume, but not the 2nd and 3rd. Which I guess says something right there. I enjoyed it, but it didn't dazzle me and I honestly remember very little about it. Which I can rarely say about a Morrison work. My library has all 3, so I'll catch up with it at some point, but if I had to buy them, I probably wouldn't bother.
    I read the first one, too! It didn't leave much impression - I remember people kinda liking the second, and the third arriving without much interest?

Ah well, I'm a sucker for a nice collection though - if they put them all out in one volume, I'll buy it. "The Green Lantern" omnibus too.

Wonder Woman Earth One gets better with each volume, with the third one being quite a solid story that honors the science fiction and mythological ambition of the early years, and brings a nice close to the myth of Wonder Woman in a really epic way!

Still, Morrison doesn't really know how to write the character of Diana herself. She lacks much of a personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I read the first one, too! It didn't leave much impression - I remember people kinda liking the second, and the third arriving without much interest?

Ah well, I'm a sucker for a nice collection though - if they put them all out in one volume, I'll buy it. "The Green Lantern" omnibus too.
    I'll take Morrison's Green Lantern over their Wonder Woman any day. Parts are a blast, and Liam Sharp's art is stunning, until the last few issues when he decides to switch styles to "airbrushed van panel." Definitely minor Morrison, though.

Wonder Woman Earth One gets better with each volume, with the third one being quite a solid story that honors the science fiction and mythological ambition of the early years, and brings a nice close to the myth of Wonder Woman in a really epic way!
    Interesting, thanks. That nudges it up the to-read list a bit.

Astonishing Member

Nice, Batman Begins 2005! That's a useful cheat sheet for reading/collecting the whole run. I think I'll save that for when I do a re-read.
    Cheers, Yohei72!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Still, Morrison doesn't really know how to write the character of Diana herself. She lacks much of a personality.
    one hundred percent they have such a good handle on Diana and I would for sure recommend their bonkers ass Green Lantern