Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Grant Morrison Batman Appreciation.

Best Batman Writer of All Time from Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Gothic and his 2006-2013 Batman run I adore. Said run I've read countless times giving us Damian Wayne, two big bads in Simon Hurt/Professor Pyg, Morrison using all of Batman's history like the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and the highlight of it, Batman and Robin with the partnership of a happy to lucky Dick Grayson as Batman with a brooding Robin in Damian Wayne. Don't forget Final Crisis and Batman 666 as well.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 03-19-2022 at 11:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Grant Morrison looks back at his Batman run:

https://www.ign.com/articles/batman-...an-wayne?amp=1

If it wasn't for this run i'd never have gotten into comics.

A blessing and a curse. I love This era of Batman.
    Dick and Damian are MY Dynamic Duo.

Thank you Morrison.

I love this run so much and I love seeing Grant talking about it! I wonder what they think of Damian today!

Its the best Batman run ever written and bluntly, there is no need to own any other Batbooks. Infinitely re-readable.
    Morrison's Batman run is daunting, intimidating, and massive though because reading the immense Final Crisis is essential to it.

I remember at the time, many more causal fans liked and hyped Scott Snyder's New 52 run more.
    After all these years - Snyder's run doesnt hold up at all and Morrison's will forever be timeless.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by the1&onlyE. View Post
    I love this run so much and I love seeing Grant talking about it! I wonder what they think of Damian today!
    In an Interview contained in 100 Things Batman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die (100 Things...Fans Should Know) by Joseph McCabe

They said, "I think it's funny he is still around fucking up DC's Continuity"

Astonishing Member

Great seeing the amount of replies and the shared love for Grant Morrison's Batman run. Best Batman run ever and best comic book run as well. Re-read it countless times for those reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Its the best Batman run ever written and bluntly, there is no need to own any other Batbooks. Infinitely re-readable.
    Morrison's Batman run is daunting, intimidating, and massive though because reading the immense Final Crisis is essential to it.

I remember at the time, many more causal fans liked and hyped Scott Snyder's New 52 run more.
    After all these years - Snyder's run doesnt hold up at all and Morrison's will forever be timeless.
    Looking at current Batverse and DC as a whole it's amazing just how much Impact Morrison's run had.

To this day They is still shaping the DcU and writers from Snyder to Williamson are building on the blueprints Morrison laid out.

Easily my favourite Batman run ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Grant Morrison looks back at his Batman run:

https://www.ign.com/articles/batman-...an-wayne?amp=1
    Great interview. I love when Grant Morrison talks about their previous work. Such an insightful person.

Their run is freaking awesome; visually, it goes from good to astonishing, it introduced two of the best Batman rogues ever (even if that is a long list thank to the quality of Batman's villains) and it is an overreaching storyline that can be re-read without ever becoming boring.

I enjoy the first half better, up until the end of Batman & Robin: Reborn, though there is not a single arc I don't like (except for the Ra's Al Ghul crossover; and even there, Grant and Tony's issues were good). While I don't like Damian's death (it was so obvious that he would return soon), and the concept of Batman Inc doesn't fit with my idea of the character, I still view the end of the run as a solid final.

BTW, I loved the first volume of Batman Inc, I'd rather the second volume wasn't part of the New 52.

Apart from the main run, Arkham Asylum is spectacular, and Gothic & Final Crisis are pretty good
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post

I see no lies here.

I've reread Morrison's Saga so many times and I always find new things.

There's literally something for everyone in this run. You want grit read RIP, want fun superhero daringdo read Batman & Robin, want to explore free will vs determinism read Final Crisis & Return of Bruce Wayne.

It's so good and I'm glad we got this when we got this.

Probably my 2nd favorite Batwork after “Dark Knight Returns.” (And I also love Snyder’s run and even more King’s). I devoured the whole thing in trades when I was first getting seriously interested in comics, and the constant fun and astonishment it provided helped sink the hooks in me. I still chase the kind of high it provided - the blend of horror, swashbuckling adventure, humor, wacky but weirdly intellectual anything-can-happen concepts, character depth, metafictional commentary, and snappy, witty dialogue (something Morrison doesn’t get enough credit for). It’s substantially made up of pieces that in theory, really shouldn’t work (Batman of Zur en Arrh, the various protegé Batmen, Knight and Squire, Bruce’s time travel exile) but somehow do.

“Final Crisis” is the only major speedbump for me - for my taste, Morrison disappeared down their own navel a bit too much even for Morrison. But even that has some glorious passages.
    Last edited by Yohei72; 03-20-2022 at 08:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Probably my 2nd favorite Batwork after “Dark Knight Returns.” (And I also love Snyder’s run and even more King’s). I devoured the whole thing in trades when I was first getting seriously interested in comics, and the constant fun and astonishment it provided helped sink the hooks in me. I still chase the kind of high it provided - the blend of horror, swashbuckling adventure, humor, wacky but weirdly intellectual anything-can-happen concepts, character depth, metafictional commentary, and snappy, witty dialogue (something Morrison doesn’t get enough credit for). It’s substantially made up of pieces that in theory, really shouldn’t work (Batman of Zur en Arrh, the various protegé Batmen, Knight and Squire, Bruce’s time travel exile) but somehow do.

“Final Crisis” is the only major speedbump for me - for my taste, Morrison disappeared down their own navel a bit too much even for Morrison. But even that has some glorious passages.
    I had to reread Final Crisis so many times to "get it" I felt like Charlie from It's Always Sunny when I try to explain the plot to my friends

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I had to reread Final Crisis so many times to "get it" I felt like Charlie from It's Always Sunny when I try to explain the plot to my friends

Ha! Reading it made me feel like the guy in the green vest.

I didn't enjoy it enough to make multiple re-readings worthwhile, but I would like to try it again someday with some webpage of annotations open on my laptop next to me. There have to be some of those out there.