Astonishing Member

Default Superman in the Schumacher Batman-verse

So there's this interesting article I read a couple of days ago on CBR about the Burton/Schumacher Batman films and about how Gotham evolved from the gothic noir-ish feel of the Burton films to the neon-lit hellscape of the Schumacher films. And they came up with this fascinating theory that in-universe Gotham was inspired by Metropolis and its own evolution due to the presence of Superman and that the neon-lit Gotham is basically Gotham trying to emulate the more advanced and optimistic Metropolis (but not quiet reaching those lofty heights).

https://www.cbr.com/batman-theory-su...ham-noir-neon/

Now obviously I don't think Schumacher thought of it quiet that way (though one can argue that the transition between the Burton and Schumacher films mirrored the transition between the relatively noir-ish Golden Age and the campier Silver Age that occurred in the comics). But it did get me thinking - both the Schumacher films contain references to Superman (Forever to Metropolis, and B&R to the Man of Steel himself). While obviously there weren't really plans for a 'shared universe' back then, it does beg the question - who is the Superman of the Schumacher Bat-verse?

As in, is it based on an existing version of the character? Is he supposed to be one of the live-action versions of Superman we'd already seen? What would be the scope of his powers, his adventures, and most importantly, his influence on the larger world? How similar or different was his world tonally from Batman's? Had he met Schumacher's Batman?

Well, about the only thing we do know about him is that ''he works alone''

I suppose, from a purely chronological standpoint, it could be Dean Cain's Superman from Lois & Clark, since he's the Superman of the 90's. I haven't really watched that show, but I know enough to know that Superman's adventures were fairly small-scale on that show...so it makes sense that Batman would know of him but he wasn't powerful or influential enough to affect events in Gotham much.

It could be the Christopher Reeve Superman too I guess. He tends to get paired with the Burton Batman as the first major big-screen iterations of those characters, and the Schumacher Batman was, at least back then, meant to be the same as the Burton Batman. Though that would mean that the Schumacher films are possibly set in a world where Superman has been around nearly 20 years! Of course, there's nothing to contradict that.

Maybe its a very young Brandon Routh Superman (who's also kinda the Reeve Superman on a floating timescale). Though I do feel that if Routh's Superman co-existed with any Batman on the big-screen, it was more likely to be Christian Bale's (in fact, they almost certainly would have had them team up on the big-screen had Nolan not been adamant about keeping his Batman separate).

Or it could be Nicholas Cage, the would-be Superman of the 90's...

Fun to think about!

I don't think there has ever been a live action Superman that bad. Maybe George Reeves in the absolute worst episodes, but not at the show's height in it's first two seasons. Not even the 1940s Superman serials were that bad given their budget and that they were pretty standard matinee serial fare in that time.

And, no, even the Adam West Batman is not even close to being as bad as the Schumacher Batman because it succeeded brilliantly at being exactly what it set out to be, which was campy comedy.

A Superman that existed in the "B&R" universe would probably have super nipples, a super crotch, and would say the kind of things Donner/ Chris Reeve Clark Kent would say but he would say them as Superman. The Lex Luthor of that universe would be the Gene Hackman Luthor on pun pills. The comedic aspect would be ten times more. He wouldn't be able to speak a sentence that wasn't a pun.

He would probably have a full grown sidekick who is supposed to be a teenager and maybe a version of Supergirl who has zero motivations for being a superheroine.

I'm sure people can think of more.
    Power with Girl is better.

Fantastic Member

To me, Reeve was Burton-verse Superman, and Cain was Schumacher-verse Superman.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Since the Schumacher Batman was supposed to be the same as the Burton Batman, my guess is Reeve since they've recently established that they are both in the same universe. Make of that what you will. We know there is a Gotham City in the L&C verse and supposedly there was an episode where some thieves stole the Batmobile but I don't now that it's the same universe. I suppose it could be neither and be a wholly separate version of Superman we've never seen before. Supposedly Superman exists in the new Batman movie-verse as well. I doubt we'll ever see him unless the decide to use that universe as backdoor reboot. Supposedly the Nolan verse never had a Superman. Which makes sense given that he could have wrapped up the whole Bane/nuclear weapon thing overnight.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

For me, the Nic Cage's Superman that never was belong in the same universe of Burton/Shumacher's Batman. Same decade, same rubber-ish aesthetic.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Speaking of Nicholas Cage, I just read that he said he wants to play Egghead in a sequel to The Batman. He claimed he could make the character "terrifying." Not that it would ever happen but that truly does sound terrifying.

As for his Superman, I'd imagine it along the lines of a PG rated version of his Cameron Poe character from Con-Air. Ridiculous one-liners galore. i.e., perfect for the Schumacher universe.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    For me, the Nic Cage's Superman that never was belong in the same universe of Burton/Shumacher's Batman. Same decade, same rubber-ish aesthetic.
    Yeah, with the connection to Burton that makes sense.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Isn't Schumachers Batman basically the back-then modern take on Adam West Batman? Who was the Superman at the time?

I do can see Cains Superman in that position though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Since the Schumacher Batman was supposed to be the same as the Burton Batman, my guess is Reeve since they've recently established that they are both in the same universe. Make of that what you will. We know there is a Gotham City in the L&C verse and supposedly there was an episode where some thieves stole the Batmobile but I don't now that it's the same universe. I suppose it could be neither and be a wholly separate version of Superman we've never seen before. Supposedly Superman exists in the new Batman movie-verse as well. I doubt we'll ever see him unless the decide to use that universe as backdoor reboot. Supposedly the Nolan verse never had a Superman. Which makes sense given that he could have wrapped up the whole Bane/nuclear weapon thing overnight.
    When did they establish Keaton and Reeve as being in the same universe? The two are often linked together as the first Batman and Superman of the big-screen but I've never heard of them officially being considered as part of the same universe.

The Nolanverse Superman could have been Henry Cavill had Christian Bale agreed to reprise the role in BvS (certainly, MOS was virtually conceptualized as a 'Nolanverse Superman' film). But it could have been Brandon Routh as well...way back before TDK was released and while Routh was expected to return for a sequel to SR, I remember some Justice League talk, and Routh said he'd be open to appearing alongside Bale. As it stands though, there is no Superman in the Nolanverse. As far as the Reevesverse goes, it remains to be seen but looks unlikely for now.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Isn't Schumachers Batman basically the back-then modern take on Adam West Batman? Who was the Superman at the time?

I do can see Cains Superman in that position though.
    Schumacher's Batman is a weird blend of Burton's Batman (albeit watered down) and the Adam West Batman. I see it as the Burton Batman getting soft-rebooted into the ''Silver Age''.

If Superman existed in Adam West's universe, I'd imagine it would be George Reeves' Superman. Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman is already in the same universe as Adam West's Batman per their comic crossover.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    When did they establish Keaton and Reeve as being in the same universe? The two are often linked together as the first Batman and Superman of the big-screen but I've never heard of them officially being considered as part of the same universe.

The Nolanverse Superman could have been Henry Cavill had Christian Bale agreed to reprise the role in BvS (certainly, MOS was virtually conceptualized as a 'Nolanverse Superman' film). But it could have been Brandon Routh as well...way back before TDK was released and while Routh was expected to return for a sequel to SR, I remember some Justice League talk, and Routh said he'd be open to appearing alongside Bale. As it stands though, there is no Superman in the Nolanverse. As far as the Reevesverse goes, it remains to be seen but looks unlikely for now.

Schumacher's Batman is a weird blend of Burton's Batman (albeit watered down) and the Adam West Batman. I see it as the Burton Batman getting soft-rebooted into the ''Silver Age''.

If Superman existed in Adam West's universe, I'd imagine it would be George Reeves' Superman. Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman is already in the same universe as Adam West's Batman per their comic crossover.
    Superman 78 connected them in a panel. Count that as you will.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, with the connection to Burton that makes sense.
    Yep, Keaton Batman was supposed to cameo in Superman Lives at Supes' funeral.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-21-2022 at 04:29 PM.