Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Moon Knight director annoyed Black Adam

https://thedirect.com/article/moon-k...ack-adam-movie

I guess this director has never read DC before. If he did he would know that the locations in DC are fictional stand ins for actual cities. Gotham City is a stand in for New York City for example.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

His full quote mentions that

“I was really annoyed with DC when they set Black Adam in a fictional middle eastern country as an excuse to cast non-Egyptians, when it was obviously meant to be in Egypt. Representation opportunities shouldn’t be wasted... But it’s not a full mistake since it’s based on an iteration of the comics that doesn’t mention Egypt.
    I don't fault him 100%...fictional or not, it does take place in Egypt so having some good Egyptian representation would make the most sense. But apart from the big players and not knowing much of the bts talent...will have to wait to see the movie.

Incredible Member

“I was really annoyed with DC when they set Black Adam in a fictional middle eastern country as an excuse to cast non-Egyptians, when it was obviously meant to be in Egypt. Representation opportunities shouldn’t be wasted... But it’s not a full mistake since it’s based on an iteration of the comics that doesn’t mention Egypt.”

Maybe you should read the article rather than getting click baited by the title

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It's not really "an excuse to cast non-Egyptians", is it.

I felt it was a missed opportunity not to cast an Egyptian actor for Hawkman. Yeah, Carter reincarnates so he can look like anyone but it would have been cool to have someone with actual Egyptian heritage play the role. It would, in a small way, make up for the cultural appropriation perpetrated so often in pop culture with Egyptian history/culture.

(This is what an Ancient Egyptian looked like in the Golden Age )

As far as Black Adam and Kahndaq, The Rock is half African American and it’s a fictional country in North Africa, so I guess there is some small connection (shrug).
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-20-2022 at 06:57 PM.

We should get Rami Malek before Marvel nabs him.
    He's an American actor born to Egyptian parents. He can play Khalid Nassour/ Doctor Fate who is also Egyptian American in comics.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-20-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    He's an American actor born to Egyptian parents. He can play Khalid Nassour/ Doctor Fate who is also Egyptian American in comics.
    That would be amazing. He’s a bit old to play Khalid but getting an actor like that as Dr. Fate would be super cool.

Is there not an actor playing Teth-Adam though? I have reservations about this movie. Mostly because it seems like this version of Black Adam is never going to be evil. I understand that Johns made him more morally grey in the comics, but I'm not a fan of that change. But the movie also does have a bunch of raceswaps in its casting, which I'm not a fan of. The actor should at least look like the character. I think Dwayne Johnson can pass for Egyptian, so there is no problem there. Likewise with Oscar Isaac playing an Ashkenazi Jewish character in Moon Knight. But I absolutely would have cast someone like a Rami Malek as Teth-Adam. But I fear the likelihood of Johnson sharing the title role with someone is about as likely as him being evil. And the Hollywood studios seem to have trouble making movies where the protagonist is a bad guy who does bad deeds these days. Just look at Boba Fett. He is nowhere as evil as Black Adam. Still, they really neutered his bad and brutal aspects.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Well, the character Doctor Fate is not Egyptian and the the "origin" story was in Mesopotamia with Nabu being based on the Babylonian god of wisdom, then shortly disclosing he was an alien... Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    “I was really annoyed with DC when they set Black Adam in a fictional middle eastern country as an excuse to cast non-Egyptians, when it was obviously meant to be in Egypt. Representation opportunities shouldn’t be wasted... But it’s not a full mistake since it’s based on an iteration of the comics that doesn’t mention Egypt.”

Maybe you should read the article rather than getting click baited by the title
    I'm not sure how close genetically modern Egyptians are to Egyptians from the days of the Pharaohs. There have been a lot of wars and immigration since then that has likely changed the genetic makeup significantly. So I don't think this is the same thing as casting a non-Egyptian for the role of an Egyptian in a movie taking place 100 years ago.

Of course, if someone with actual knowledge of anthropology, history and genetics can set me straight, I'm open to being educated.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

I like Rami Malek as an actor - he was amazing in James Bond - but I'd prefer someone else to play Khalid Nassour. I just don't think there's sufficient resemblence between him and the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I'm not sure how close genetically modern Egyptians are to Egyptians from the days of the Pharaohs. There have been a lot of wars and immigration since then that has likely changed the genetic makeup significantly. So I don't think this is the same thing as casting a non-Egyptian for the role of an Egyptian in a movie taking place 100 years ago.

Of course, if someone with actual knowledge of anthropology, history and genetics can set me straight, I'm open to being educated.
    It's a difficult subject to summarize, but as far as I know, a number of genetic studies done on ancient Egyptians - mummies - shows that, for the most part, modern Egyptians are the same genetically as ancient Egyptians. Besides, Dwayne Johnson is Samoan/Black Nova Scotian - that's not near Egypt or the rest of the Middle East.

EDIT: That said, I disagree with Mohammed Diab on non-Egyptians being cast for the film if the film is set in Kahndaq. This is really just because Ancient Egypt did not have city states, so Black Adam could not have ruled an independent kingdom in Egypt (He could in Mesopotamia or if he ruled prior to the unification of Egypt) So, my problem is casting non-Middle Eastern actors (including for Black Adam) If the film's fictional middle eastern country, however, is not Kahndaq, then I agree with him.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 03-21-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    I like Rami Malek as an actor - he was amazing in James Bond - but I'd prefer someone else to play Khalid Nassour. I just don't think there's sufficient resemblence between him and the character.

It's a difficult subject to summarize, but as far as I know, a number of genetic studies done on ancient Egyptians - mummies - shows that, for the most part, modern Egyptians are the same genetically as ancient Egyptians. Besides, Dwayne Johnson is Samoan/Black Nova Scotian - that's not near Egypt or the rest of the Middle East.
    Of course, the Rock is a movie star, which trumps everything else.

Surprises about how close modern Egyptians are to ancient Egyptians, but facts are facts (and I'm assuming you are correct because I have no reason to believe otherwise).
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I felt it was a missed opportunity not to cast an Egyptian actor for Hawkman. Yeah, Carter reincarnates so he can look like anyone but it would have been cool to have someone with actual Egyptian heritage play the role. It would, in a small way, make up for the cultural appropriation perpetrated so often in pop culture with Egyptian history/culture.

(This is what an Ancient Egyptian looked like in the Golden Age )

As far as Black Adam and Kahndaq, The Rock is half African American and it’s a fictional country in North Africa, so I guess there is some small connection (shrug).
    Well, the last few centuries of Pharaohs were of Greek origin. Including Cleopatra herself.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post

EDIT: That said, I disagree with Mohammed Diab on non-Egyptians being cast for the film if the film is set in Kahndaq. This is really just because Ancient Egypt did not have city states, so Black Adam could not have ruled an independent kingdom in Egypt (He could in Mesopotamia) So, my problem is casting non-Middle Eastern actors (including for Black Adam) If the film's fictional middle eastern country, however, is not Kahndaq, then I agree with him.
    I just found something from awhile ago so let me post this here.
    Many of today’s Egyptians are not necessarily representative of Ancients due to outside migration and admixture from European/Arab sources, particularly in Lower Egypt.

Some Coptic claims to be pharanoic descendants not supported by DNA studies or cultural history showing heavy Arabization since 900 ADModern Copt genetic profile shows substantial Middle Eastern and European elements.

Modern Egyptian population not necessarily representative of the ancients
    "Cosmopolitan northern Egypt is less likely to have a population representative of the core indigenous
    population of the most ancient times“

– Keita 2005. History in Africa, 2005, 32(1).221-246

"Outside influence and admixture with extraregional groups primarily occurred in Lower Egypt—perhaps during
    the later dynastic, but especially in Ptolmaic and Roman times (also Irish, 2006).”

-Irish 2009. Dental_affinities_of_the_C-group_inhabitants.. Ec Hi Rev

Keita believes if I recall correctly that the best representation of the Ancient Egyptians are the Northern Sudanese and Upper Egyptians.
    Of Course it depends on what period is being studied, Keita makes it clear the Egyptian variation is a local adaptation without outside influence, I.E he disagrees with your Spamming rants about Admixture and racial mixing.
    Also we have to take into account other topics such as population density, Migrations, Immigration etc. For example during the Ancient Period Upper Egypt and the Nile Valley was more populated than the Delta, which is the complete opposite today. Again this goes against the notion that the Ancients are the same.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-21-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I just found something from awhile ago so let me post this here.
    I think the discrepancy is down to new discoveries since both of my immediate sources are comparatively newer than yours.

Article from 2017.
    https://www.science.org/content/arti...hey-were-wrong

Another article from 2017.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/22/h...age/index.html