Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shin Ultraman

^ Bingo. Tsuburaya gave Mill Creek a sweet package deal for dozens of shows so that the bulk of the series could be available in North America quickly, and Tsuburaya's been putting their newest episodes on YouTube with English, Chinese, and other official subtitles so people around the world can follow along. It's all part of the push.

This is all, by the way, a response to being restrained for so many years. Throughout the '90s and '00s a Taiwanese company fraudulently claimed to own international rights to the the series, and the resulting legal battles tied up Tsuburaya as a company and Ultraman as a character. After they won the definitive victory in 2018 they've gotten serious about overseas expansion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ Bingo. Tsuburaya gave Mill Creek a sweet package deal for dozens of shows so that the bulk of the series could be available in North America quickly, and Tsuburaya's been putting their newest episodes on YouTube with English, Chinese, and other official subtitles so people around the world can follow along. It's all part of the push.

This is all, by the way, a response to being restrained for so many years. Throughout the '90s and '00s a Taiwanese company fraudulently claimed to own international rights to the the series, and the resulting legal battles tied up Tsuburaya as a company and Ultraman as a character. After they won the definitive victory in 2018 they've gotten serious about overseas expansion.
    I had heard about the whole Chaiyo thing, but I didn't realize it was resolved so recently. I thought it ended way back in the early 2000s or something.

I hope the Ultraman brand does become more popular in this neck of the woods. Partially because it's my new favorite thing, but also because with its history, general demographics and themes, it feels like the kind of franchise that could be at least at the same level as Doctor Who here in the states. Provided, of course, that people are able to get past any hang-ups they have about giant monster fights.

I'd like to at least see it get to the point where there could at least be more practical merch for adults who don't want to buy toys (like the TARDIS cookie jar I still own). I'd buy an Ultraman reusable shopping bag or something like that (color timer kitchen timer? Ultraman bento box? Ultra Capsule pen light? You get the idea).

OMG!

I never knew I wanted an Ultraman kitchen timer till now.

EDIT:

They exist!!!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    OMG!

I never knew I wanted an Ultraman kitchen timer till now.

EDIT:

They exist!!!
    You know, I thought it might.

Maybe I should start looking at more shopping sites that source stuff from Japan.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Actually Chaiyo was Thai, not Taiwanese.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

^ Ha! That's a boneheaded mistake on my part!

The film has already made the top 5 box office movies worldwide this week.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

I thought it was more Captain Marvel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    The film has already made the top 5 box office movies worldwide this week.

Wow, The Bad Guys did surprisingly well!

Shin Ultraman Getting A 4DX Release In Japan Next Friday.

Source: https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1414311.html

The film will have its North American premier at the Fantasia film festival in Montreal next month. Hopefully we'll soon have word on a distributor.

Theater listings are popping up that seem to indicate that Shin Ultraman will be in US theaters this January. No official announcement yet!

Check your local theaters. Shin Ultraman will have a limited engagement nationwide release in US theaters: subtitled on Jan 11 and English dub on Jan 12!

Astonishing Member

Check your local theaters. Shin Ultraman will have a limited engagement nationwide release in US theaters: subtitled on Jan 11 and English dub on Jan 12!
    I've already got my ticket.

Movie airs tonight, Japanese with subs. English dub tomorrow.

Apparently, there may be more screenings yet to be announced - in case you just can't attend these!