View Poll Results: Which Bat Logo do you prefer?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Bat

10 50.00%
  • Yellow oval Bat

10 50.00%

Default DCU Bat Logo…which do you prefer?

Lately, it seems like which logo Batman wears depends on who is writing and/or drawing the series. Which do you prefer to see in the comics? The Bat or the Yellow Oval Bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Wayne View Post
    Lately, it seems like which logo Batman wears depends on who is writing and/or drawing the series. Which do you prefer to see in the comics? The Bat or the Yellow Oval Bat?
    Which "yellow oval bat" do you mean?

There was the one first introduced during the "new look" period of the 1960s, but there's also the more recent one that Grant Morrison first used for Batman Inc. that also has a spotlight ability. (The one in the recent issues of Batman by Williamson is the Batman Inc./spotlight version of the oval.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Which "yellow oval bat" do you mean?

There was the one first introduced during the "new look" period of the 1960s, but there's also the more recent one that Grant Morrison first used for Batman Inc. that also has a spotlight ability. (The one in the recent issues of Batman by Williamson is the Batman Inc./spotlight version of the oval.)
    Don’t overthink it. I also didn’t ask which version of The Bat everyone preferred (say, Dick Sprang’s or Jim Lee’s) because I thought it was pretty self explanatory. Yellow oval around the bat or no?

Astonishing Member

Its a tricky one, but I think the plain bat is currently the most iconic version. Though I have a certain nostalgia for the yellow bat, since my first exposure to Batman was in BTAS.

I wonder...with Michael Keaton's Batman returning to the big-screen next year, maybe the yellow bat will regain prominence again in the popular consciousness?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When I'm thinking to realistically design a bat costume it's all dark, either black, night blue, or dark grey like the stone gargoyle or gothic cathedral at night, so the logo would be dark too. Maybe night blue or black for the cloak, and dark grey for the suit, and that makes the logo night blue or black as well.

No yellow.

Retired

While the simple bat was the original look in 1939 and it wasn't until 1964 that the "New Look" introduced the bat inside the oval (Infantino) or circle (Moldoff), that's not entirely the whole story. In DETECTIVE COMICS 60 (February 1942), the bat-signal is used for the first time. That's a bat inside a circle--and that's the icon that's so often used in the stories. There's also a bat inside a circle used as a logo on the cover of a lot of comic books in the 1950s. So a bat inside a circle was the trademark image the publisher owned--that's why they made it the symbol on his chest for the "New Look." The logic is that a bat can't be trademarked, but a bat inside a circle can be trademarked.

Incredible Member

I honestly think it's time to shake things up as far as the Batsuit goes. The Year One-type suit he's been wearing since No Man's Land might be "classic" in one sense but it's just getting boring as hell. I would love it if they tried to go back to a Burton or Schumacher-type suit, in terms of just trying to actually make it look cool. It feels like Batman's suit in the comics has been grey for too long. I wanna see BLACK with a nice big yellow oval. Mmm.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    I honestly think it's time to shake things up as far as the Batsuit goes. The Year One-type suit he's been wearing since No Man's Land might be "classic" in one sense but it's just getting boring as hell. I would love it if they tried to go back to a Burton or Schumacher-type suit, in terms of just trying to actually make it look cool. It feels like Batman's suit in the comics has been grey for too long. I wanna see BLACK with a nice big yellow oval. Mmm.
    They shook it up with New 52 and Rebirth. I liked the suit with the yellow outline symbol and no trunks.

I like the Hush era logo myself. I like the classic yellow disk to, but not the Batman Inc one that stands up a bit.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    ...I would love it if they tried to go back to a Burton or Schumacher-type suit, in terms of just trying to actually make it look cool...
    But definitely leave out the molded rubber Bat-nipples on the suit!

Incredible Member

I wouldn't even mind those, actually. It's based on Greco-Roman armor and speaks to the almost mythic godhood of the super hero. The feigned nerd outrage over Bat-nipples is so overplayed. (I'm a nerd too, but just sayin'.)

While I understand the in canon point of the yellow, aesthetically I prefer no yellow. I also think it’s just better for his overall look.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Incredible Member

I think the black bat or the Rebirth/Smallville season 11 Black bat in a yellow or blue outline are my favorite takes on the look.

I think comics (Batman Inc, New 52, Rebirth) , games(Telltale and Arkham), and movies (Burton, Snyder/BvS/ZSJL and The Batman) have found ways to make the costumes look interesting and new takes on such a classic/iconic look.

I do like Restingvoice’d ideas of how the Bat suit should look but I think Greg Capullo Rebirth and Batman Inc look like the classic costume revamped with elements that make it feel modern.