Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is just a general thing that I've noticed over time, but why do people think Venditti doesn't understand how the rings work? Aside from the limited light resource (which doesn't, to my knowledge, contradict anything that came before), the only thing I can think of is Nol-Anj harnessing a Sapphire ring because over her love for her clan. I always thought the Sapphire rings being empowered by romantic/lust based love was stupid, so I have no problem with that change.
    It contradicts the the whole Purpose of the Central Power Battery, and how some of the other corps work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is Highfather maybe related to the constipated and shriveled sour-puss prunes the Guardians of the Universe?
    Seems like it.

To be fair that interpration has always been one that's had some weight to it for a good couple decades maybe before Johns had them go full evil, but Highfather is the furthest thing from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Emotions were collected from every being in the universe into the battery so what's the reservior for? if every beings produced emotions why is it limited? the hold draining the universe was for shock value and it just plain crap that needs to be retcon out, the GLC is the only one that evens follow it all the others ignore it.
    Is emotions only limited, because the central power battery converts it to energy thus draining the reservoir? So how is it a contradiction for the creation of the CPB? Not saying I disagree or anything like that, I just want a better understanding. I don't have the Relic story on me right now unfortunately.

Im looking forward to it. Not "excited" or anything, but interested enough to consider, maybe, buying outside of my pull list to catch the whole story.

I like the New Gods, and I like the Lanterns (though I only read Soule's Reds at the moment). So putting them together seems like a fun idea. And Soule is one of my favorite new writers. So I'll give this an issue and see where it goes, and continue to read Red Lanterns and Infinity Man. And if things look good, I'll stretch out and get the rest.

Not sure how I feel about the New Gods going after the Corps, but until I read the story I cant really judge. If the Lanterns are slowly killing the universe by using the emotional spectrum, I can see Highfather having a problem with that. And maybe that ridiculousness will be fixed when its all said and done. I really dont see the point of that creative decision, but then, I havent read any of the Lantern books (other than Reds) since Johns and Tomasi left, so I might be missing something.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If I have a proper understanding of Venditti's M.O., he's about writing stories where weird controversial things happen that many readers seem to hate, and these stories take a long time to develop into something (hopefully) more tolerable. Examples being his portrayal as Hal Jordan as incompetent, the idea that Green Lanterns destroy the universe, and Wally West being a child (and half-Black, but there is probably no changing that any time soon). Granted, the Wally West thing isn't necessarily his fault, but I've heard him continually talk about "long game" plans or something like that. As such, I think the reservoir draining thing will be addressed in hopefully a satisfactory manner.

Venditti may have these long form stories, but the problem is they haven't been very good from what I've seen so far. So they're just long, controversial, and boring. That said, I really love Van Jensen's work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Is emotions only limited, because the central power battery converts it to energy thus draining the reservoir? So how is it a contradiction for the creation of the CPB? Not saying I disagree or anything like that, I just want a better understanding. I don't have the Relic story on me right now unfortunately.
    Well, I sort of assume the Corps do not translate the energy perfectly and there's some loss in the transition from emotional/Source/whatever to the energy the rings wield. Its likely a matter of diminishing returns, so to speak. Perhaps this whole story is a way to fix that? I could see Highfather using New God technology to augment the Central Power Batteries so they balance out the Source reservoir, and therefore stop draining the universe.

Well, I could see Highfather doing that once upon a time. Now, from what little I've seen of him in Wonder Woman and heard about this upcoming story, Highfather's turned into a douche.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I have a feeling that Highfather may become the more benevolent version we're used to after this event. Cliff Chiang said he based his design of Highfather on Kirby's version from The Pact. The warrior Izaya. he was so overwhelmed with rage and a hunger for revenge and was finally saved when he made contact with The Source. Maybe after Godhead he'll reach the breaking point and finally become the peaceful and wise leader we're used to seeing when he comes in full contact with The Source.

How Vendetti Writes it the rings draw from a light source each time the rings are used, making CPB somewhat redundant since it was suppose to be the source of the light collected from the sentient beings in the universe, the others are states something different such as Sinestro corps the fear they instill is collected by their power battery Red Lanterns don't always need to charge from any battery as long as the have great rage and the blues are power by those who hope.

Well looks like I am sitting this one out then if it is lasting for 3 months. I will catch it in a trade or a digital sale. Sucks though because it is going to ruin my Green Lantern collection as I will now be missing issues. I don't suppose this will be like Uprising where you can only read 1 series and still what is going on?
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    How Vendetti Writes it the rings draw from a light source each time the rings are used, making CPB somewhat redundant since it was suppose to be the source of the light collected from the sentient beings in the universe, the others are states something different such as Sinestro corps the fear they instill is collected by their power battery Red Lanterns don't always need to charge from any battery as long as the have great rage and the blues are power by those who hope.
    Interesting, I understand now. I never thought of it that way. From what I remember Sinestro's ring didn't have the 24 hour limit and no need to recharge, since it's able to siphon off GL power rings at the time before the emotional spectrum was created by Johns. Since Parallax was revealed to be an entity, the Weaponer was able to harness different energy for yellow power rings that taps into the parallax entity as the source. The other emotional colored corps such as rage and hope doesn't always depend on their power battery 100%. I do remember Saint Walker had an impressive showing of saving a world that was going to reach Armageddon by channeling hope from sentient beings. Red power rings power also derives from blood magic. And the Orange battery is probably the most different.

The emotional spectrum played an important part in the creation of the DCU as shown in Johns' run.

When I think about it you are right. Having emotional spectrum running off of fuel that can get exhausted, which resulting in a dying universe shouldn't have been written. It brings confusion to the green lantern mythos and some of it doesn't make any sense.

Interesting, I understand now. I never thought of it that way. From what I remember Sinestro's ring didn't have the 24 hour limit and no need to recharge, since it's able to siphon off GL power rings at the time before the emotional spectrum was created by Johns. Since Parallax was revealed to be an entity, the Weaponer was able to harness different energy for yellow power rings that taps into the parallax entity as the source. The other emotional colored corps such as rage and hope doesn't always depend on their power battery 100%. I do remember Saint Walker had an impressive showing of saving a world that was going to reach Armageddon by channeling hope from sentient beings. Red power rings power also derives from blood magic. And the Orange battery is probably the most different.

The emotional spectrum played an important part in the creation of the DCU as shown in Johns' run.

When I think about it you are right. Having emotional spectrum running off of fuel that can get exhausted, which resulting in a dying universe shouldn't have been written. It brings confusion to the green lantern mythos and some of it doesn't make any sense.
    Exactly that's why people say he doesn't know how the rings work all of them have something unique about them that makes them different other than just the colours but he group them as the same thing Take the star sapphires for example, they also collect love but it still requires the crystallized undying love on zamaron as the power source else the rings won't work and the CPB won't collect the emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Cliff Chiang said he based his design of Highfather on Kirby's version from The Pact. The warrior Izaya. he was so overwhelmed with rage and a hunger for revenge and was finally saved when he made contact with The Source.
    Actualy, Izaya found the Source (or it found him) immediately after he rejected war as being the way of Darkseid and decided to find a path that was true to himself.

Thank you, New Gods omnibus. I love you, even if you are in black-and-white.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended
    If the Lanterns are slowly killing the universe by using the emotional spectrum, I can see Highfather having a problem with that.
    It seems that he just really, really wants to go past the Source Wall and Kyle being the only entity to ever to do that and return has lead Highfather to believe that the rings of the collective Corps hold the secret.
    Last edited by Blue Light; 09-01-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    You will need a miracle to defeat us, mutant! You are severely outnumbered!
    My brother's the one who cares about numbers.
    THUNK
    I'm the one who believes in miracles.

A Justin Jordan's GL: New Guardians crossover? HELL YEAH!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    Well looks like I am sitting this one out then if it is lasting for 3 months. I will catch it in a trade or a digital sale. Sucks though because it is going to ruin my Green Lantern collection as I will now be missing issues. I don't suppose this will be like Uprising where you can only read 1 series and still what is going on?
    Can't suck too bad, or you're GL collection can't be too big if you are letting a Lantern-title crossover cause you to stop buying. There have been 6 previous lantern title crossovers in the last 10 years or so, this one is no different... Except it looks much better than Rise of the Third Army.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Grim View Post
    I think I'm going to check it out. It gives me the time to get more familiar with the New Gods because I don't know anything about them. I remember Orion and Lightray from the DCAU csrtoons but that's it.
    I dont remember much Lightray honestly. Orion, Big Barda, Mr. Miracle and Metron are the ones I remember showing up.