Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Lightbulb Your fears/wishes/predictions for the post-Dark Crisis DCU

The upcoming Dark Crisis will last 7 (monthly?) issues... what do you think, wish or fear will happen to your favorite franchise or the DCU as a whole after the event?

Kal-El will return to Earth and Barry Allen will come back in time for his live action movie and their series will be relaunched with a new #1?

Do you expect a new direction for DC Comics? And what it'll be about?

Discuss.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-23-2022 at 03:37 AM.

There's a reason that the current Superman book has the Son of Kal-El subtitle. They don't have to wait for Taylor to finish his run - they can just make it a third book and relaunch Superman starring Clark. Which I think they will.

Green Lantern, Justice League, and Teen Titans are obvious relaunches. Hopefully Green Arrow and Aquaman too.

It would be nice to have a book each for Barry and Wally. Wally's current one can carry on while Barry gets a new #1, adding their civilian names to the titles like the ANAD Marvel Captain America books.

It'd also be nice to have them launch a second JL book, and JSA. Fans have been complaining about JL Dark being reduced to backups and the Society being absent from the publishing schedule.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I kinda hope they do something with the Pre-COIE Multiverse, rather than just have it be a tease and a McGuffin for the plot.

I'd like to see the current crop stay around once the "real" heroes show back up. I've enjoyed Jon, Yara and the others, and I'd like to see their stories continue even if they aren't in the "main" roles anymore. I don't want to see them kicked to the curb like the Young Justice generation were.

I want JSA anything. Just something at this point.

Also, Taylor to say on Nightwing. It's easily the best book DC has going at the moment.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Hal Green Lantern and JSA books.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

REBOOTS REBOOTS REBOOTS!!!! (Ow! Ow! Stop hitting me!)
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Author said no reboots.

Good Storytelling and Plastic Man and Firestorm can have a monthly. Not together but apart and it's written well, unlike this post.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Not until you learn some manners!

I think during the event, we'll see more mini's and one-off's like Young Justice and Teen Justice. If this story is about exploring legacy then it's not likely to stop with just those two books. I imagine we'll see some version of the Titans in a mini, at the very least. Since we know Justice Incarnate goes with the League to fight the villains (and presumably they die too) I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of "next gen Incarnate" title (though that might end up being Teen Justice?). And I wouldn't bet money on it happening but I won't be surprised to see the JSA get a mini, so "legacy" can be explored from that angle. Did the Squad book get cancelled? They're gonna be up to something in this story but if their title is still running, it might just unfold there in a tie-in arc. And it seems obvious that the Outsiders, maybe even the new Authority, will be used in some capacity.

So basically instead of a League book taking up all the oxygen, we'll have a bunch of non-League team titles, probably exploring how each group handles the League being gone and how they step up to fill that void. The successful titles might become ongoings. I'm sure DC is hoping that this event can put a lot of non-League teams back on the map.

I figure the "real" League will be back by the end of the event. Their solo books may just do a quick time jump from "right before Crisis" to "right after it ends" so they don't have to break their stride. And I *hope* that the League doesn't immediately return as a monthly title.

If other teams can pick up the sales slack, DC can keep the League title in reserve, using it for a few high note miniseries before the inevitable return of the monthly. Ply the "intentional scarcity" business model for a bit, yknow? I dunno if that's likely, and that sorta thing is a gamble, but when it pays off it tends to pay off fairly well.

I think DC wants to expand their audience by pushing generations/characters designed to appeal to different demographics (and likely different markets, with an eye on larger media potential of course) and we'll see a big effort to enrich and enlarge the core franchises. They'll throw a lot of stuff at the wall and see what sticks.....not unlike the Future State event itself.

In the end I figure we'll probably walk away with a few new characters who've done well for themselves, a couple new/relaunched titles that can be sustained, and a couple new wrinkles in character families and dynamics. But most stuff won't end up mattering and will fade into the background.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I have no fear, just yawn and the others
    Yawn:
    The Great Darkness is not the final boss, there is someone stronger behind him for the next Crisis, and if it's just Darkseid absorbing Great Dark power for his own, the yawn's gonna be bigger
    Wish:
    1. Someone will actually pitch a Titans book that will not be about Academy, Trigon, Deathstroke, Blackfire, Evil Donna Troy, or Brother Blood, and if they do that's not even a fear, that's just business as usual, so gosh this is the tallest wish, because Simone revealed that it wasn't just Didio that thinks Titans are second to League (therefore they won't put any effort into them to change that)
    2. Make. More. Mini Series. or. Elseworld. You got the Omniverse. Use it more. We do got Dark Knight of Steel, Justice Saurus, DC vs Vampires, but I'm thinking more a look back to previous era like the SuperBat book, set during Batman Dick and Robin Damian for example, or heck, make another SMWW book. Use that Earth Archives.
    3. Actually age up the Young Justice group to college age, none of this are they still 17 crap.
    4. A JSA book. I'm not that interested but they've been delaying it long enough.
    Predictions:
    1. They're still not gonna be able to figure out what to do with Young Justice
    2. Justice League will still be a Trinity plus plus book. They moved WW to JLD last time so one of the Trinity out is not out of the question, but I kinda wanna see they do the classic JSA, where Bruce and Clark is popular enough they're not allowed in anymore
    I actually kinda don't mind if Clark and Diana keep their solo while Jon and Yara is in the League. Though I wanna try Tim, Conner and Cassie instead, since Jon's solo seems pretty popular and Conner need to regain fans first. A JL book can help that. Maybe.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-23-2022 at 10:07 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

A good Titans book.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Mods, can the typo on the title be fixed? "Your fears/" instead of "You fears".

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's a reason that the current Superman book has the Son of Kal-El subtitle. They don't have to wait for Taylor to finish his run - they can just make it a third book and relaunch Superman starring Clark. Which I think they will.
    This is what I'm expecting too.

Maybe Mark Waid on Superman #1 in 2023.

Green Lantern, Justice League, and Teen Titans are obvious relaunches. Hopefully Green Arrow and Aquaman too.
    I don't think Aquaman will be relaunched, the new series just started. Agree on the others.

It would be nice to have a book each for Barry and Wally. Wally's current one can carry on while Barry gets a new #1, adding their civilian names to the titles like the ANAD Marvel Captain America books.
    Or both Barry and Wally sharing a book like Arthur and Jackson right now.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    DC wouldn't feel the same without its endless crisis and reboots, right?

Amazing Member

Fears: Over pushing of new characters and the potential of even more characters being put into a spot where they can’t be shelved as needed if sales aren’t working. He seems to be doing good so far, but I worry about how Jon will affect the Super line if his sales fall, for example. I also fear some huge status quo change that lasts long after the event is over.

Predictions: Something is disliked by fans and they awkwardly try to backtrack it in their limited number of issues. A Lantern goes bad, but it’s for such a short time it’s kind of pointless. Barry and Wally are both stuck together and fighting for panel. Aquaman sells poorly, and we end up with no Aqua books at all by the end of this. Something happens in the Wonder line that people get excited for, and it works until the next writer comes in.

All-New Member

Fears? None.

Wishes?

The characters that die in JL #75 stay dead for at least five real life years, preferably 10+. No resurrections, no rebirths no chickening out, no gimmicks. They're dead and that's how it's going to stay for a while. Say their body and souls have been consumed by the great darkness or whatever so there's nothing TO resurrect. If they're afraid of losing their cash cows (looking at you, Bruce) then **** out books that are set before their deaths and they'd be marked clearly as being set in the past (something like the current black label).

Roy Harper: Give him his daughter back, damnit.

My predictions: DC will continue to pump out Batman books the dead characters will be resurrected by the end of the Crisis. The changes made to the line won't stick and no status quo changes will last beyond the next writer on the titles.

I would love to see a more traditional version of the Doom Patrol show up more in the DCU. loved seeing them in Waid’s World’s Finest but I know it will be short lived.

I’m also hoping DC uses Jaime Reyes again. Mid-tier characters (especially DC characters) have a hard time maintaining sales on solo ongoing books, so I’m really just hoping he gets a mini series and he’s used on a monthly team book.