Super Moderator

Default Zircher Helps Construct DC Comics' "Futures End"

Artist Patrick Zircher discusses introducing Batman Beyond to the DCU, the appeal of telling a good apocalyptic future tale and more.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

"Why do you think apocalyptic stories of a menacing, if not horrific, future work so well for storytelling?"

Ever since the New52 started, that's all we've been getting
    - Started off with the Earth, Central city and the green and the red being invaded
    - Then parallel worlds, and a parallel earth invading regular earth
    - And now the future.
    ugh

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LGBoex View Post
    "Why do you think apocalyptic stories of a menacing, if not horrific, future work so well for storytelling?"

Ever since the New52 started, that's all we've been getting
    - Started off with the Earth, Central city and the green and the red being invaded
    - Then parallel worlds, and a parallel earth invading regular earth
    - And now the future.
    ugh
    "We can imagine the fear, the possibilities and the conflicts, and conflicts make good stories."

Stormwatch as it should be, and with new and interesting team members! Welcome Hawkman and Nina Mazursky, I guess S.H.A.D.E. got into some trouble for her to change outfits.

Now what the heck took over Angie?

Getting more and more on board with this tbh.

Someone who starts with an "R"?

Did Zircher just hint that Rorschach pops up in this!?

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Who do you guys think the character beginning with R that he can't mention is?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheesebiggins View Post
    Who do you guys think the character beginning with R that he can't mention is?
    I was thinking Ravager, Rose Wilson or otherwise, as 5 years later seems to include some of the next generation. The solicit for his July issue mentions a R-named character but I am not sure if that would be someone he could not name.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Stormwatch as it should be, and with new and interesting team members! Welcome Hawkman and Nina Mazursky, I guess S.H.A.D.E. got into some trouble for her to change outfits.

Now what the heck took over Angie?

Getting more and more on board with this tbh.
    I've only started reading Stormwatch with the new52 but doesn't it seem like the Engineer gets taken over by some other entity every 5 minutes?

All-New Member

Zircher is such an awesome artist. Been following his work since Thunderbolts vol. 1

Really nice to see him drawing Batman Beyond. Looks great.

Did everyone forget that there's a Robin who looks like he's got Tim Drake's pre New 52 costume on in that teaser we got a few weeks back?

Extraordinary Member

Ah, completely forgot about that. Probably because I ruled out Robin because I was confusing that with hearing Red Robin would be in Batman Eternal soon. So, back to asking who is this Robin then?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I've only started reading Stormwatch with the new52 but doesn't it seem like the Engineer gets taken over by some other entity every 5 minutes?
    I highly recommend you backtrack to Warren Ellis' original run under Wildstorm, back when this team was called the Authority. It stands on its own and is generally very well regarded and it got reprinted in HC recently, soon in TPB. Its one of my personal favorites from that era in comics.

The Engineer (Angie) used to be a compassionate force to be reckoned with, and much less of a "she was taken over" plot device.

And while you are at it, you could go further back with Ellis' Stormwatch which also recently got reprinted - and is even better than the Authority. It features characters you may not be familiar with having started reading this team with the New 52, but dont let that be an impediment - you will get to know and grow to care for them as you read.
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 05-05-2014 at 01:29 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Ah, completely forgot about that. Probably because I ruled out Robin because I was confusing that with hearing Red Robin would be in Batman Eternal soon. So, back to asking who is this Robin then?
    Damian Wayne

"I'll never be able to predict which characters fans respond to the best. Some of the ones that I've enjoyed drawing are Hawkman, Batman Beyond, Deathstroke, Lois Lane, Stormwatch, Frankenstein, Firestorm -- and someone I can't mention, whose name starts with an 'R.' "

Well, that gives me hope about Stormwatch/Hawkman being able to survive, somehow... I doubt he would have listed them as some of his favorites to draw based on 5 whole pages in issue 1.

Presumably 'R' is Robin, but yeah dunno which one... we know Tim dies in one of the issues... but he is shown on the teaser with Booster Gold. Maybe Booster goes back in time to get a younger Tim?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    To be fair, while yes she has gotten taken over a lot in the DCU (not so much in Wildstorm, she is awesome in The Authority, it's only in DC that she's been reduced to walking plot device) and from a readers perspective it's getting kinda silly, but from her perspective, this was probably the first. 2 of those earlier times likely aren't canon anymore due to the retcons that have been a part of the series troubled existence. The alternate team under Starlin's run never happened, so that takeover never happened either, and the other time under Milligan ended with the entire team dead, except Apollo and Midnighter, and everyone's still alive and kicking in issue 30, so that story was likely erased from continuity.
    Last edited by Raye; 05-10-2014 at 02:07 AM.