Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Did resurrecting Quentin Quire permanently marginalize Julian Keller?

Let's face it, ever since they brought back Quentin Quire AND gave QQ the tertiary mutation of TK (which was JK's distinct powerset - [pure TK] - in the Decimation Era) there was simply no more role for Hellion as the "leader of the next generation of X-mutants" which it looked like they were setting him up for in Divided We Stand, but which role they gave to QQ since Wolverine opened the Jean Grey School (but is now moot & academic on Krakoa LOL) since JK lacked all of what made QQ distinct: his appearance (QQ is natural pink-haired preppy-hipster w/ glasses while JK is just generic black-haired pretty-boy jock), his attitude (QQ is angry-young-man-rebel-without-a-cause-anarchist vs. JK is angry-young-man-rebel-within-a-cause-activist), and his additional abilities (QQ has also telepathy and supergenius IQ but JK only has TK).
    Last edited by EldonMaguan; 03-23-2022 at 09:03 AM.

Yes and nope.

They had a similar role but totally distint personalities.

But Quire is a Morrison creation that means that some writer will prefer him instead of Julian.

I don't think it's completely black and white, though I feel like these panels are relevant. There's a certain meta-ness to them.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I think it’s all just Quire.

If writers wanted to use Hellion, they’d use him. Which is unfortunate because I would like to see more of him.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I don't think it's completely black and white, though I feel like these panels are relevant. There's a certain meta-ness to them.

These resonate with me.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

If the x-office manage to find places for Jean Grey, Hope Summer, Rachel Grey, and Madelyne at the same time....there remains hope for Hellion in 2022!

BANNED

Who's stronger in TK, QQ or JK?

Quote Originally Posted by EldonMaguan View Post
    Who's stronger in TK, QQ or JK?
    Julian was able to reach incredibly fast speeds when Emma unlocked his mental blocks. He was able to rip through a lot of stuff just by flying through them. For a brief time, he kept accidentally destroying objects and creating giant craters, just by moving the most basic objects.

Quentin he's also been heavily pushed for a while, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's shown bigger telekinetic feats at some point. But I think the title should go to Julian, because at least his parents wanted to keep him for a while before they abandoned him.

Edit: Sorry, QQ fans. I do like him. Really. But I also love bullying him.
    Last edited by Rift; 03-23-2022 at 09:08 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I think not using Hellion after his arms blew up and Aaron pushing QQ is how we ended up here.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I think not using Hellion after his arms blew up and Aaron pushing QQ is how we ended up here.
    maybe time for a story that leads to resurrection protocol of JK and get his hands back and a re focus of his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Yes and nope.

They had a similar role but totally distint personalities.

But Quire is a Morrison creation that means that some writer will prefer him instead of Julian.
    Probably that.
    Poochie was in Morrison's NXM and every writer did read it.
    Hellion was in Academy X and K&Y's NXM, and a lot of writers didn't read it. Aaron definitely didn't.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by victor borkowski View Post
    maybe time for a story that leads to resurrection protocol of JK and get his hands back and a re focus of his powers.
    He made a cameo in the last page of Way of X, where it was shown that he had gone through the rezz protocols and got his hands back. They could easily ignore that in future stories, though.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Hellion wasn't as strong as Mid Omega. I'm more interested in working with his niches to give him a good role. I mentioned this in the Academy X thread, but there's a lot that could be done with his desire to help mutants, his protective nature, his leadership skills, his cynicism towards the previous generation, his abandonment issues, his romantic relationships, or past altercation with Omega Sentinel. He's multi-faceted, so there's a lot of ways to take his character in a new direction.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I would have liked to have seen Rachel mentor Julian in his TK. Just as they started training together she was sent into space for years. I think that with proper training Hellion would be more widely used than he is now. And I do think that the quirkiness and allure of QQ in telling stories around telepaths allowed him to be promoted more. Him gaining access to TK further allowed him to fill niches that others, like Julian, could have been used more.

But Julian was never going to be on par with QQ in terms of tk to tp. He was never designed that way.

Are the weapons QQ makes TK or TP? I always thought they were TP like Betsy's psychic knife.

I also don't think it's just QQ who hinders Hellion. Most of the other telepaths seem to have TK which to me, kind of takes the shine off a pure TK user.
    Last edited by kevlon; 03-24-2022 at 03:33 AM.

Justice for JuJu!

And start peppering in these two doing stuff together in the background, artists!!!

Writers like to write characters they read before, that's the usual. Quire was in the classic Morrison run and later on Aaron's run, that was a name writer (people liking him or not). Being in both books bought the character some panel time in famous runs. Now Percy decided to write him as well, so be ready to read more of Quentin in the future.

Hellion was a bigger character in New X-men by Kyle and Yost mostly. And although that run was great, it is not as big in name as the others above.

Mostly, this is the reason Hellion is probably less present on books, powers don't limit the appearance of characters as much as their personality, and Quentin and Hellion are very different in this aspect.