Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default X Deaths of Wolverine #5 Spoiler/Review

We open to that one scene in HoX/PoX, where Charles is chilling on a bench. Only this time, Moira shows up, bleeding from her gut. She says, "#$%& you, Charles." She says that she wishes she never met him, calls him a coward and traitor, and vanishes. In the present, she's refusing to die until her last breath.

Meanwhile, the Wolverine kids are fighting a gnarly-looking skeleton Omega Wolverine. Sage and Beast are observing and believe it's heading toward Cradle 4. Since it's a port, the Phalanx can corrupt it and get access to their biotech. Beast will work on disconnecting the cradle from the mainframe, while Sage will do something with a the Cerebro Sword.

Meanwhile, Omegaverine is fighting against the Phalanx, begging the kids to stop him before it's too late. Regular Wolverine shows up to help his kids. He holds up his stupid freaking stopwatch and spouts some lines about how someone gave it to him so that he'd never lose his way. He then makes a "your time is up" quip and fights Omega.

We get an info page about how various X-Men died in Omega Wolverine's future, but none of them are Hellion so it's not important.

Wolverine fights with Omega Wolverine some more, and he's doing a lot of narrating. Sage shows up with the Cerebro Sword. She programmed it with nanites meant to counterprogram the engineering of Wolverine's skeleton. Wolverine takes the sword and stabs Omega, killing it and the Phalanx. Krakoa absorbs the Phalanx-free bones into its butthole.

After this, Wolverine decides to drink. After yet more long narration, we cut to everyone hanging out at the Lagoon. Beast talks to Sage about how good and cool and amazing Wolverine is.

Ten days later, Robo-Moira comes back to life.

The Krakoan at the end reads WADE IN. But that's boring, so pretend it says HELLION and write to Marvel about getting him on a book.

It felt a little anticlimactic to me, but it was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Default X Deaths of Wolverine #5 review

Can't believe someone put up a complaint thread before an actual review thread. Good grief.

The issue starts with the Moira meeting Charles at the fair scene from H/PoX but this time it's actually a final vision that Moira is having in the present as she's dying.

After Moira dies, the scene switches to the Wolverines trying to stop the Omega Wolverine but even they damage his body, they can't stop the Phalanx-Adamantium skeleton. Sage informs Beast and the Wolverines that the Phalanx is heading to the nearest Cradle unit so it can infect Cerebro and all the mutants (somehow).

Logan shows up to fight Omega Wolverine. Sage takes the Cerebro Sword and leaves to help Logan. Logan is getting bodied since he also can't damage the Phalanx Skeleton but Sage arrives with Sword which is reprogrammed with nanites that can reverse the adamantium bonding on the Omega Wolverine's skeleton. The nanites work and all the adamantium and the Sword are both destroyed with Krakoa eating the now normal skeleton of the Future Wolverine. Everyone gathers at the Tiki Bar for drinks later.

The epilogue is Moira rising from her grave ten days later as a Cyborg.

Thoughts: The Wolverine part was good but the Moira part sucked.

7/10
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Can't believe someone put up a complaint thread before an actual review thread. Good grief.

The issue starts with the Moira meeting Charles at the fair scene from H/PoX but this time it's actually a final vision that Moira is having in the present as she's dying.

After Moira dies, the scene switches to the Wolverines trying to stop the Omega Wolverine but even they damage his body, they can't stop the Phalanx-Adamantium skeleton. Sage informs Beast and the Wolverines that the Phalanx is heading to the nearest Cradle unit so it can infect Cerebro and all the mutants (somehow).

Logan shows up to fight Omega Wolverine. Sage takes the Cerebro Sword and leaves to help Logan. Logan is getting bodied since he also can't damage the Phalanx Skeleton but Sage arrives with Sword which is reprogrammed with nanites that can reverse the adamantium bonding on the Omega Wolverine's skeleton. The nanites work and all the adamantium and the Sword are both destroyed with Krakoa eating the now normal skeleton of the Future Wolverine. Everyone gathers at the Tiki Bar for drinks later.

The epilogue is Moira rising from her grave ten days later as a Cyborg.

Thoughts: The Wolverine part was good but the Moira part sucked.

7/10
    No, Bad Krakoa! We need that adamantium to replace all the adamantium the Quiet Council has given Orchis! Wait the Cerberosword actually destroyed it….bad Cerberosword!

The wolverine stuff was fine even if I rolled my eyes a little at the end with Beast suddenly turning into Logan hype-man. TheMoira stuff is just awful. They’ve doubled down on her being not a character but just a plot device to move things forward in the books and at this point there really is no connection between her in this era and her in previous eras. I’ll go so far as to say that the links from Hickman Moira and this Moira are just tenous at best. It honestly would have been better to have her lay low somewhere out in the world for now than to do this.

So, now how are they going to resolve Orchis and the Children of the Vailt is next on “Things Hickman left for us to resolve” plot chart I guess

Astonishing Member

I love how Moira blames Charles for all this…when she has explicitly spent most of this life molding him into that kind of person because she needed ruthless cynical Xaier hating for her team apparently.

So I guess Moira is now in Emma Scott's position as "mutant Hitler" of X Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    So, now how are they going to resolve Orchis and the Children of the Vailt is next on “Things Hickman left for us to resolve” plot chart I guess
    Gosh i hope that is resolved. The Children of the Vault are Rogue first original enemies. and she hasnt figth them yet she was part of a trial at the Corridor for Apoccy sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    So I guess Moira is now in Emma Scott's position as "mutant Hitler" of X Men.
    yup

Sentinel Moira is not a compeling villian

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Someone fuse the two threads please.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Honestly no one should be mutant Hitler while Sinister is still walking around. He alone deserves that title.

Since you know, Auschwitz doctor.

Astonishing Member

This is an earth shattering launch of the new era of the X-men which put the rest of the line on pause to witness its impact. We must have the three threads. It is necessary to contain it all!

If you edit Hellion praise into your OP, I'd gladly let my thread die so that yours can live. Your summary was much better, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I’ll go so far as to say that the links from Hickman Moira and this Moira are just tenous at best. It honestly would have been better to have her lay low somewhere out in the world for now than to do this.
    I agree. It kinda feels like Daenerys in GOT. As in, sure, that's probably where the story was going, but the way it was handled felt rushed and contrived. Yeah, Moira not being entirely devoted to the mutants was a possibility, and the Phalanx stuff was going to happen at some point, but I don't think it was going to happen this way, and with so little explanation.

Extraordinary Member

I love how Moira blames Charles for all this…when she has explicitly spent most of this life molding him into that kind of person because she needed ruthless cynical Xaier hating for her team apparently.
    It is kind of fitting since she did hate Xavier in her first lives, and despite whatever manipulation she attempted it would seem that still his 'Dream', or some form of it, kept him distracted which allowed things to turn against Moira.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It is kind of fitting since she did hate Xavier in her first lives, and despite whatever manipulation she attempted it would seem that still his 'Dream', or some form of it, kept him distracted which allowed things to turn against Moira.
    Honestly that page makes a great meme template though. Just edit omething in to that last panel instead of Moira for Professor X to look befuddled and confused by.

The bit where Percy has Sage and Beast pay tribute to his Mary Sue (“he’s a loose cannon but he gets results!”) was like something out of Decker.