Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evil Dead Rise

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I actually thought the 2013 movie was better than the new one.

That movie was legit terrifying (and had one of the best openings for a horror movie ever).
    It at least tryd to be like the original evil Dead movie the thing is evil Dead isn't really supposed to be terrifying it really wasn't a horror movie after the frist it's more a horror super hero thing.

Astonishing Member

That movie was legit terrifying (and had one of the best openings for a horror movie ever).
    I liked Evil Dead Rise, I also liked the previous Evil Dead and can see why some folks would vocally love it more, totally changing the setting to a crumbling apartment building was always going to be controversial with the fanbase.

But this might be a case of arguing in a bubble against actual paying audiences, the mom Deadite hook was so good this movie made way more than the previous Evil Dead. And just to show some horror franchises keep drawing crowds in, the last Insidious movie not only beat the last Indiana Jones in its second weekend but was the second best opening weekend for that franchise, talking about a decade old franchise. In fact I'm personally surprised the last Insidious is making great numbers while also having worse RT and audience scores than the previous prequel movie The Last Key, which I thought was a lot better. It goes to show you can't take your own opinion for granted.
    Last edited by Wildling; 07-10-2023 at 08:28 PM.

I enjoyed Evil Dead Rise, and I actually think it makes a good double-feature with the 2013 one.
    I was cool with the change in setting because we've already seen the 'stuck in a cabin' plot three times already. The crumbling apartment building was different but just as effective.

The Evil Dead movies are over-the-top, bonkers horror flicks that alternate between shock and humor...sometimes both in the same scene. The only exception is Army of Darkness, which was more of a fantasy-adventure comedy, and incidentally, IMO, the weakest of the series.

I thought Rise captured the tone perfectly. It was horrific and demented, but also kind of funny in how insane it got. Exactly what I look for in an Evil Dead movie.

Astonishing Member

I did not like it. There was nothing new and without the unique contribution of Ash, it was just another possessed relative chases everyone around a bit. The special effects were technically competent but not impressive.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

It's perfectly fine, especially the two female leads. But I still strongly prefer the Jane Levy Evil Dead. This seems to be missing something, Levy's Evil Dead had a more sinister veneer and tone to it, and was still darker and gorier.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Totally agree. And I'm still baffled why it never got a direct follow-up.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I enjoyed Evil Dead Rise, and I actually think it makes a good double-feature with the 2013 one.
    I agree with this, I would also add the two May The Devil Take You films. They're like a Indonesian version of the modern Evil Dead films. Make it a quadruple header!
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It at least tryd to be like the original evil Dead movie the thing is evil Dead isn't really supposed to be terrifying it really wasn't a horror movie after the frist it's more a horror super hero thing.
    I didn't care for The Evil Dead 2 and Arny of Darkness personally. The Reboots was right up my alley.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I didn't care for The Evil Dead 2 and Arny of Darkness personally. The Reboots was right up my alley.
    You're not a fan of ash? For me he makes the movies I like 1 but he they just continued with that formula I would have lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    You're not a fan of ash? For me he makes the movies I like 1 but he they just continued with that formula I would have lost interest.
    He became too flanderized for my taste. Now tough but grounded Ash is cool
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    He became too flanderized for my taste. Now tough but grounded Ash is cool
    He was kinda the same from movie 2 Onward though...

Astonishing Member

If I were in this situation, I would be terrified but movies like this don't terrify me as they are too formulaic. You need more psychological intensity and less predictability. Mom is a zombie, possessed and tries to chop everyone up while they do stupid things. The house acts against them in ways we have seen so many times.