Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default BR:SM #3 Spoilers and Review!!!

Hello, Friends! Were you all as excided as I was to read your copy of Ben Reilly: Spider-Man #3!? I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to go outcide and shout its praises to the masses! But I'm happy to settle for sharing a fun conversation with all of you incide our Spidey message board

As an acide: I don't think I've ever mentioned that I live in a converted bus on the back of a friend's farm; I couldn't wait to get home yesterday to write this up, and I got two-thirds of the way through before my laptop died! I had forgotten to charge it at work! So my apologies for making you wait. Believe that I was bummed! ANYWAY...

As always, I'll walk you through my second read-through of the issue and provide my thoughts. Let's take a look at what's incide this comic!

1) But first, the cover! On the one hand, I was stoked to see Carolyn Trainer again; however, the cover art does her absolutely no justice. She looks like a scary witch, not a super-hot mad scientist! Luckily her depiction inside isn't so hideous.

2) We start off with Edward Whelan being used as bait by Lady Ock, and Ben narrates some backstory about her, him, and their mutual relationship with Seward Trainer, who was Ben's friend and Carolyn's father.

3) Ben resents Edward being used as bait, but Lady Ock comments that she just wants to have fun making Ben miserable. Plus, an agitated Ben is easier to kill!

4) Lady Ock unmasks Ben and we get a soliloquy from Lady Ock about Ben being the "favorite son" before Ben headbutts her and frees himself from her clutches.

5) Ben thinks to himself that Ock could've gotten Edward killed... and John Diaz, too, who appears to be watching the fight from the street below.

6) "What is it about you, Ben, that inspired my father to embrace you and cast me aside?"

7) We then get some very interesting narration from Ben about being Spidey: is it a selfless desire to make the world a better place, or a selfish need to prop up his own ego? Ben decides it's okay if it's both.

8) THEN we get a very interesting scene in which Ben tries to convince Carolyn to stop fighting and talk to him, but she won't accept his pity. Still, Ben's time on the road has helped him realize that everyone has light and dark elements to themselves, and that even someone as dangerous as Ock doesn't deserves his hatred.

9) Ben punches Ock off the building, but instead of hearing her land, he instead hears a sound behind him: it's zombie Kraven the Hunter! And it's at this point that Ben acknowledges that someone is messing with him and things cannot be what they seem.

10) Zombie Kraven, be still my English teacher heart, starts reciting William Blake's poem "The Tyger" but substitutes "spyder" for "tyger" -- oh, and probably more importantly, he turns into a huge mass of spiders and complete overwhelms Benjy. Ben swears he can feel "their loathing. Their spite. Their hunger." They don't just want Ben's body; they want his mind -- his very identity!

11) EDWARD SAVES THE DAY!

12) Meanwhile, in Dr. Kafka's office, the newscaster on the television reminds us of the "First Date Murderer" subplot. Simultaneously, Ben is narrating his worries: now that he thinks none of the villains he's faced are who they seem to be... well, what could it be? Could it be clones? "No! It's not him!"

13) The newscaster mentions the lack of connection between the victims of the First Date Murderer and the descriptions of the suspects in each case don't match. WEIRD.

14) Ben figures that if he's seeing things that aren't there, it must be one of two people, so he revists Kafka's office so that he can check up on the Chameleon and Mysterio.

15) As they walk through Ravencroft, Ben and Ashley Kafka have a fantastic conversation about the similarities and differences between Ben and Peter. Kafka also insists that the Chameleon is barely functioning, so Ben turns his attention to Mysterio, who informs him he's got none of his tricks available.

16) MONTAGE! Waiting for his enemy to attack again isn't his style, so Ben goes on the offensive. We see him chasing down small-time crooks, investigating old goblin hideouts, and interrogating Hammerhead. Ben narrates that, as this happens, he feels a real friendship blossoming between himself and Edward Whelan (as well as Ashley Kafka) -- but the same can't be said for John Diaz, who Ben describes as lost, alone, and needy. Seems John even shows up to his apartment uninvited. Ben decides he needs to cut this stalker loose.

17) Later, Ben is closing up shop at the Daily Grind, which he's "starting to like." What he doesn't care for so much is getting beamed upside the head by Shirley's frying pan! Oh -- that's not Shirley at all.

18) "I'm whoever I want to be." Scorpion. Lady Octopus. Kraven. Uncle Ben and Aunt May. George and Gwen Stacy. (Maybe even Random Ravencroft Doctor? Somehow he was privy to the conversation between Ben and Ashley.) "I know all about you, Benjamin. You, and Peter. Even that defective, Kaine."

19) The shapeshifter turns into a writing gray mass of monstrous arms and faces, attacking Ben. There also seems to be some kind of toxin radiating from the creature and seeping into Ben's mind.

20) "There's guilt there. So much guilt. About Uncle Ben. Captain Stacy, Gwen. So many more. And maybe that guilt is what rules Peter Parker's life. But not Ben Reilly's."

21) Ben fights back! He's not going to let the Jackal get him this time!

22) "Really, brother? You really believe that lovestruck buffoon Miles Warren is behind this?" says JOHN DIAZ!!!!!! But of course, John is merely a creation to get closer to Ben. Because the villain all along has been "the sibling none of you ever acknowledge." His father never gave him a true name, so you can just call him...

23) SPIDERCIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW.

Guys, this right here is an excellent comic book. Let me stop to catch my breath and collect my thoughts!

Okay. So, lot's of questions:

If Spidercide was both John Diaz and Lady Ock, does that mean his shapeshifting allow him to be in two places at once? Because the art indicated that Diaz was watching the rooftop fight from the street.

How does the "First Date Murderer" play a role in Spidercide's return? It's gotta be him, right? Or are we purposefully being led astray on that subplot?

How will this affect continuity, as Spidercide has been "in a coma" since his fall from the Bugle back in the 90s. But with this retroactive return, what will be Spidercide's new continuity? Where has he been for all these years?

Because of the title of this miniseries, The Humanity Agenda, my guess is that Spidercide wants to know how Ben was able to establish a life and identity for himself -- something that he never had the opportunity to do. Perhaps that's why he's going on all these dates and killing people as well: he's trying to, I dunno, gain a better understanding of what it means to be human...? But then, why kill them? Does he need something from others to sustain himself? Is his biology working against him? OR, like I indicated earlier, what if Ben and Spidercide end up joining forces against some OTHER enemy doing the preying upon the blind dates?

OR, maybe Ben will "trap" Spidercide in the persona of John Diaz, powerless and no danger to anyone, which would maybe explain where he's been all these years.

There's so much to consider! I'm definitely going to re-read the first three issues straight through and see if I can't pick up any clues we may have overlooked.

And as if this issue wasn't sensational enough already: yessir, that is a letter written by your pal Pav to start off the issue's Arachnotes! I've only ever written one letter to Marvel before -- when I was a kid, stoked about seeing Kaine's first appearance post-Clone Saga; you can read it in one of the Identity Crisis issues, I believe -- but I HAD to write another after enjoying BR:SM so much. So yeah -- very excited that something I wrote to express my Clone Love once again gets to grace the pages of a Spidey comic!

Can't wait to continue the conversation on this issue and maybe consider what we might see in the final two issues!

-Pav, who hopes the rumors that JMD is writing more Ben are true...
    Last edited by Pav; 03-24-2022 at 07:22 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Not sure what else to add. You said much of what I was thinking. It was great to see Spidercide again. As I said in the preview thread; there's no bad characters, just bad stories. And JMD makes him seem terrifying in that cliffhanger. It was a bold move (Cotton) to bring him back. But I'm glad he went for it. He was one of the few major players from the clone saga that hadn't been brought back (we still haven't seen Traveller again...) and so he was overdue for a comeback.

Congratulations on your letter as well. That's very cool.

If I have any nitpick it's that I don't see how Ben can have a super fight (sans costume) in 'The Daily Grind' without getting busted. I know Peter has had fights inside the Bugle, but that's a huge skyscraper and not a cozy, corner coffee shop like the 'Grind.' Also, at what point did Spidercide replace Shirley? And if he did replace her the whole shift, where's the real Shirley? Also, it is great seeing Shirley again, but I hope JMD works in Devon, Buzz, Desiree or Jessica in even if it's just for a panel or two. I assume this is taking place when Seward was stuck in cyberspace (oh, the 90s....) so I'll give his absence a pass.

But anyway, all that is just an extended nitpick. This was my favorite issue of BR:SM so far and I'm very excited for #4. Of course, first I have to get through ASM #93 and that's giving me a bit of anxiety (well, as much as a comic can give...) about Ben's status.

Is Edward supposed to be Vermin the character or was Carolyn just insulting him?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Is Edward supposed to be Vermin the character or was Carolyn just insulting him?
    Edward is Vermin, yes. But during this storyline Vermin is either in remission or fully cured (I forget which).

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Edward is Vermin, yes. But during this storyline Vermin is either in remission or fully cured (I forget which).
    Probably in remission, I do believe later on Vermin was just around as Edward because we can't have nice things. But I don't remember when, I had long checked out at that point.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Generally cosigning Pav, albeit with this further note --- If JMD pulls this off in the next couple of issues, he might just redeem Spidercide as a character. Almost felt sorry for him there, even with all the murder, since if what he said as Carolyn Trainer/90s Doc Ock and the vibe he gave off as "John Diaz" were at all rooted in what he was honestly feeling and thinking about himself in comparison to Ben and Peter and even Kaine . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Great issue.

Spidercide,as we predicted, is back. The costume needs to be updated to something more creepy. It doesn’t reflect how twisted he is.

Overall I greatly enjoyed it. Kafka and Edward are a delight to read. They just fit in so well. Beyond(pardon the pun) this being some great world building this also scratches my nostalgia and makes me invested in Ben and his world much more so then the actual beyond story we are getting now.

There are certainly more to explore in coming issues but I am missing either Desiree or Jessica for that romance itch. Even though I don’t want it to diminish or detract from Edward or Kafka time. Bah just so much to explore and so little space.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Great issue.

Spidercide,as we predicted, is back. The costume needs to be updated to something more creepy. It doesn’t reflect how twisted he is.

Overall I greatly enjoyed it. Kafka and Edward are a delight to read. They just fit in so well. Beyond(pardon the pun) this being some great world building this also scratches my nostalgia and makes me invested in Ben and his world much more so then the actual beyond story we are getting now.

There are certainly more to explore in coming issues but I am missing either Desiree or Jessica for that romance itch. Even though I don’t want it to diminish or detract from Edward or Kafka time. Bah just so much to explore and so little space.
    If we're lucky or this book gets really positive reception in terms of sales, we could get a follow-up mini.

It doesn’t reflect how twisted he is.
    The editor for the book said Dan Jurgens' proposed Spider-costume for Ben is getting used and "Ben might not be the one using it", so it feels kinda safe to expect 'Cide to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    The editor for the book said Dan Jurgens' proposed Spider-costume for Ben is getting used and "Ben might not be the one using it", so it feels kinda safe to expect 'Cide to get it.
    Was it the black-and-red one with the white spider symbol? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing that as Spidercide's new costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Was it the black-and-red one with the white spider symbol? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing that as Spidercide's new costume.
    Yeah, that's the one.

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

Oh man I love this issue!

Thanks for the breakdown, Pav, and I'm going to go back and read your letter. I actually had only one letter published in a Spidey comic and it was a reaction to Ben's original death in Peter Parker Spider-Man #75!

Regarding the incredible return of Spidercide, you say "Where has he been for all these years?" but this is a throwback story so it hasn't been years unless I'm missing something timeline-wise.

I continue to love the dialogue, both external and internal, and the art is next level!

Also, did anyone catch the homage to classic Spectacular Spider-Man artist Sal Buscema? When Ben gives Carolyn the final KA-THWAMM! it looks exactly the way he used to draw it. Google "sal buscema punch" and you'll see what I mean.

Can't wait for the next issue!!

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    Also, did anyone catch the homage to classic Spectacular Spider-Man artist Sal Buscema? When Ben gives Carolyn the final KA-THWAMM! it looks exactly the way he used to draw it.
    Yeah, that was great. Doubly so because he drew some relevant Clone Saga issues.

If JMD pulls this off in the next couple of issues, he might just redeem Spidercide as a character. Almost felt sorry for him there...what he said as Carolyn Trainer/90s Doc Ock and the vibe he gave off as "John Diaz" were at all rooted in what he was honestly feeling and thinking about himself in comparison to Ben and Peter and even Kaine . . .
    Oooooh, good catch, Hunt! I didn't even think about John Diaz's personality being representative of how Spidercide feels about himself. Maybe Ben's speech about not feeling hatred for the baddies he fights means Ben's going to try to help Spidercide -- especially if the First Date Murderer ends up being someone else.

Kafka and Edward are a delight to read. They just fit in so well. Beyond(pardon the pun) this being some great world building this also scratches my nostalgia and makes me invested in Ben and his world much more so then the actual beyond story we are getting now.
    If we're lucky or this book gets really positive reception in terms of sales, we could get a follow-up mini.
    If we do get more Ben under the pen of J.M. DeMatteis, well-- he has said in interviews lately that one plan back in the 90s was to build a whole new cast around the character of Ben Reilly; so maybe that's what he's being tasked to do by Marvel. It makes sense that Edward Whelan and Ashley Kafka, two of his creations, would become cast members in a JMD Ben-centric Spidey book.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    Regarding the incredible return of Spidercide, you say "Where has he been for all these years?" but this is a throwback story so it hasn't been years unless I'm missing something timeline-wise.
    Well, that's what I mean: if this is a throwback story, then we can't expect that Spidercide "is still" in his coma, as that's now been retconned. So, I'm curious where he'll be by the end of the story, because wherever he lands as a character will be the new canon. If he's been alive all this time, why didn't he show up in Spiderverse, for example? I'll be curious to see what JMD has whipped up for Spidercide's fate.

-Pav, who never hated Spidercide's name, personally...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Ah good to know. I Google it since I couldn't remember it from that spread where Ben thinks about costumes. I noticed it wasn't there so it was a new costume for me. Overall I liked it. Interesting to see it being used seei g how it certainly looks like a heroic costume. Perhaps we are going a rehabilitated spidercide. Though if he is the murderer we might need something more then therapy to make it work.